2021-2022 MLB Hot Stove Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyS

Reign of Terror
And the 70 Million they gave Hicks. Cashman.......smh
Hindsight is always 20/20.

Based on the years they were both coming off when the signed the deals both would have been a steal of they continued to produce at the same levels for the length of the contracts.

You could argue, and I'd agree with you that Hicks already had a history of injury problems. So the contract was risky to begin with.

But in Sevy's case he had been healthy up until then. And if you look at what even mediocre starters get once they hit the open market, just look at this year's FA's, Sevy's contract was not our of line.

What a waste of $40 million.
It seems that most pitchers we've seen that have missed significant time are destined to further setbacks.

Had he stayed healthy, he would have been a bargain. If he doesn't pitch well this year, he's gone as I believe he is a FA next season. It's a shame, he was one of the most dominant pitchers in baseball before the injuries.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Based on the years they were both coming off when the signed the deals both would have been a steal of they continued to produce at the same levels for the length of the contracts.

You could argue, and I'd agree with you that Hicks already had a history of injury problems. So the contract was risky to begin with.

But in Sevy's case he had been healthy up until then. And if you look at what even mediocre starters get once they hit the open market, just look at this year's FA's, Sevy's contract was not our of line.
I was a BIG supporter of both players and deals. We got 2 good years from Severino prior to the deal at a discount. It all evens out in the end with him. I like him and as a fan hope he will be ok.

The Hicks deal is what it is, I supported him up until last years injury. What was not too like, switch hitter with power, speed, and great defense.

Like you said, if they had produced like the back of their baseball cards both deals would have been very team friendly.

If Severino goes down, at least Garcia, Schmidt, and Gil have looked sharp in the spring so far.

It seems that most pitchers we've seen that have missed significant time are destined to further setbacks.

Had he stayed healthy, he would have been a bargain. If he doesn't pitch well this year, he's gone as I believe he is a FA next season. It's a shame, he was one of the most dominant pitchers in baseball before the injuries.
Good Riddance!

If Severino goes down, at least Garcia, Schmidt, and Gil have looked sharp in the spring so far.
Garcia and Schmidt have been a pleasant surprise. Gil has shown us his upside.

Maybe we'll be ok, not having to give up Peraza for Montas. (which is the asking price the last that I heard) I can take or leave Manaea as he is a FA next year.

Has Clay Holmes pitched this preseason? I have yet to see him.

Garcia and Schmidt have been a pleasant surprise. Gil has shown us his upside.

Maybe we'll be ok, not having to give up Peraza for Montas. (which is the asking price the last that I heard) I can take or leave Manaea as he is a FA next year.

Has Clay Holmes pitched this preseason? I have yet to see him.
Holmes pitched a clean inning yesterday (Tuesday 3-29)

The problem I have with Cashman signing Hicks and Severino was that he had one more year of control of both players. It was his policy of like 20 years NEVER to extend a player before he is eligible for free agency. So ... he breaks his own policy and makes an exception for these 2. I could see maybe Severino but Hicks????? I like his policy and would tell him to stick with it from now on.

Banuelos has looked really sharp this spring, we are VERY lefty heavy in the pen.

Peralta
Rodriguez
Luetge
Banuelos

1-2 of those 4 might have to go, obviously not counting Chapman either.

Be nice if we could at least be competitive against the Blue Jays in 1 spring training game. We had out "A" Team lineup out there last night and did squat.

Higgy has had a terrific spring. Loads of power. Why can't he step up this year playing every day?

My projection

.240ba 325obp 15hr 50 rbi
If he puts up those kind of numbers that would be a huge!!

The problem I have with Cashman signing Hicks and Severino was that he had one more year of control of both players. It was his policy of like 20 years NEVER to extend a player before he is eligible for free agency. So ... he breaks his own policy and makes an exception for these 2. I could see maybe Severino but Hicks????? I like his policy and would tell him to stick with it from now on.
Nailed it!

Playing everyday makes guys better. .
Depending on the player.
There is absolutely No Statistical evidence to support that statement as made.

Only true if you said: "Playing everyday makes SOME guys better."
And it only applies to guys who generally already have a good track record.

As far as Severino goes. I'll make that deal with that kinda talent /age/proven history. 5 times over and probably be right on it at least 3 times making the other 2 meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.