2021-2022 MLB Hot Stove Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some guys are never given a full time chance .... a good example is Voit - never really given a full shot in St Louis - comes here given a full shot and at first he was miserable he quickly started to produce. Yeah he is an injury waiting to happen but at least we know that when healthy he can hit. YOu can say to a lesser extent the same thing about Hicks - not getting a full shot in Minnesota. Some players need a full shot to show what they can do. MOst of the time they get exposed and some of the time you find a good player.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Some guys are never given a full time chance .... a good example is Voit - never really given a full shot in St Louis - comes here given a full shot and at first he was miserable he quickly started to produce. Yeah he is an injury waiting to happen but at least we know that when healthy he can hit. YOu can say to a lesser extent the same thing about Hicks - not getting a full shot in Minnesota. Some players need a full shot to show what they can do. MOst of the time they get exposed and some of the time you find a good player.
100% agree

And sometimes they need make an adjustment. Look at Jose Basitsa. Bounced around for a while then settled in with Toronto and took off.

Depending on the player.
There is absolutely No Statistical evidence to support that statement as made.

Only true if you said: "Playing everyday makes SOME guys better."
And it only applies to guys who generally already have a good track record.
I’ll clarify my statement. Given more playing time, I’m of the opinion that Higgy will have a significantly better season than 2021. He has demonstrated more power, last year and this spring, and has the tools to be a good player.

Personally didn't like hicks getting extended, but thats just me. I thought Severino would be a bargain but he cant stay healthy. Higgy could definitely improve as a pretty good player for the yanks. I agree he has demonstrated some good power recently.

I’ll clarify my statement. Given more playing time, I’m of the opinion that Higgy will have a significantly better season than 2021. He has demonstrated more power, last year and this spring, and has the tools to be a good player.
I like him but I don't think he's an everyday player.
Hopefully I'm wrong.

I looked up his stats on B-ref. A bit surprised to how few games he's actually played in the past five seasons.

2017-2020 - 62 games
2021 - 67 games - He was horrible offensively.

If he doesn't improve, it's time to release him or find a real catcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.