2021-2022 MLB Hot Stove Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I'm really surprised by their lack of ANY moves. Not 1 upgrade yet.
Back of Newsday - " Yanks do squat"

That said, it's interesting that Hal and the Red Sox owners are on the committee hammering out the new CBA.
Neither club has spent much.
There is talk now of lowering the Luxury Tax threshold to $180 million dollars with harsh penalties. The Mets are at $255 right now.

Hal would love the Yankees to take the Rays model and compete every year with a minimum payroll.

He should probably fire Cashman then and hire the Rays front office.

That said, it's interesting that Hal and the Red Sox owners are on the committee hammering out the new CBA.
There is talk now of lowering the Luxury Tax threshold to $180 million dollars with harsh penalties. The Mets are at $255 right now.

Hal would love the Yankees to take the Rays model and compete every year with a minimum payroll.

I read an article a few days ago about the Yankees payroll and revenue. Don't quote me on the exact figures but it was something like this. 2005 payroll was 205 million, their revenue was 243 million, 2020 payroll was 209 million, their 2019 revenue was 637 million. They're making insane profits, just not spending it.

I have held out on buying tickets until I see what they do. I refuse to buy ANY if there aren't big changes.

Regarding the tax threshold, wouldn't the owners have to allow Mets to operate under current threshold based on the moves they made in this current agreement? How could they be penalized for technically not knowing the exact number? They could argue that and how they're trying to be competitive, right?

I really don't think Cohen cares about the luxury tax

Thats why I dont read that shit paper, newsday. Who cares what they say. They can sign Correa, next week, then all of a sudden, they did squat. Steve wouldnt like it but it would be a great move, I think.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Baez, took 15 mil over 5 years more than the mets offered. 3 mil a yr. to go to Detroit. have fun in Detroit.
I'm sure his agent pushed it, bigger commission for him.

He'll die a slow death in Detroit unless they improve soon.
They do have some good young arms coming up.

When they swept the Yankees last year all three rookies pitched lights out
They are all highly rated too, not just out of nowhere.

But the position players suck.

A lot of players can thrive outside of NY. Not sure about Odor ... but Paxton in Boston .... bet you he wins 15 games if he can stay healthy. I can almost guarantee Gary Sanchez would put up All Star numbers in Pittsburgh. Look at Sonny Gray. he's a good example.

Status
Not open for further replies.