2020 Yankees

It is absurd, but we gave a 31 year old CC seven years back in 2009, so a 29 year old Cole getting nine years almost validates it.

The million dollars a start says it all. George must be rolling in his grave.
George wouldn't care at all about the money per start, per year, or any of that. George didn't mind spending, he just wanted you to produce once you got here, lest you end up on the wrong side of one of his media tirades.

When he was younger, CC always struck me as a guy with a rubber arm. Naturally it was his lower half that gave him the most troubles.

I don't get caught up in the total contract value or AAV, just the longevity of the deal. Nine years just sounds crazy on paper for a pitcher. Has any other pitcher ever received a deal for that many years?

Stanton would be tricky to trade right now given his No Trade clause, and coming off an injury year his value is a bit low. Personally I see no harm in keeping him around for next season while he's still in his prime and seeing how he performs. If healthy he'll get his HR and RBIs.
Personally, I would give him away to shed that contract. It's a concern to have three guys (four if you count Hicks) in the line up that strike out a heck of a lot.

George wouldn't care at all about the money per start, per year, or any of that. George didn't mind spending, he just wanted you to produce once you got here, lest you end up on the wrong side of one of his media tirades.

I don't get caught up in the total contract value or AAV, just the longevity of the deal. Nine years just sounds crazy on paper for a pitcher. Has any other pitcher ever received a deal for that many years?
George refused to give Mattingly two million a year! (He settled for 1.95 to avoid arbitration) But I do not dispute that George would have broken the bank on Cole given the circumstances.

No pitcher has ever received a deal for nine years, I don't recall even eight.

So, lets be real here. Nobody will ever say, this is a good contract. Its absurd. As long as , like Steve mentioned the other day, that his contract may prevent some things down the road. As long as it doesnt...
Yanks wanted this pitcher. They needed an ace really bad to have a chance at winning it all. They know this is a crazy contract, but they went all in, not worrying about cost, or how bad this contract may be down the road. They are giving their team every chance to win. Pretty impressive in my book. Again, I can come here like everyone, and kid about the contract, but Yanks are looking at the present, to win, and not about the future. Plus, you most likely are not hurting future plans, when the contract comes back to bite them, who cares. we always said they can absorb bad contracts. I think Yankee fans have a lot to cheer about....
Yup.

ONe thing to put this all into perspective. In 1973 George bought the Yankees for $8.7 million. Today they are worth OVER FOUR BILLION! Let that sink in for a while. This contract will look ugly in 6 years if Cole does not opt out after the 5th year .... but .... they will have enough income that it will not kill the team. CC's contract was looked at the same way. He got us a championship and teh second half of that contract - CC was at best an average pitcher. Was that contract worth it? Most people say yes. I guess we will have to wait and see.

He has an opt out after 5 years, which he'll probably take if he's pitching really good, so I really see it as a 5 year contract because the salaries for great pitchers will probably be well within that range, or higher, per year in 5 years. If he decides to stay it probably means he's a 2 or 3 starter by then, which may be a fair salary for them in 5 years.
He will never ever opt out of that contract.

I have been a Yankee fan since most of you were a twinkle in your parents eyes. That being said it amazes me the $$$. Sure on paper everything looks great. Ya never know. I love baseball much better than the NFL.Slow and fast at the same time, tremendous athletes that play , make it look easy. My point in breaking down the contract , if you really look at it stuns me.$12,000 per pitch ! That's serious coin . I welcome all replies.
gain, nobody would defend the contract. Its crazy. But the signing itself, how can anyone complain...

ONe thing to put this all into perspective. In 1973 George bought the Yankees for $8.7 million. Today they are worth OVER FOUR BILLION! Let that sink in for a while. This contract will look ugly in 6 years if Cole does not opt out after the 5th year .... but .... they will have enough income that it will not kill the team. CC's contract was looked at the same way. He got us a championship and teh second half of that contract - CC was at best an average pitcher. Was that contract worth it? Most people say yes. I guess we will have to wait and see.
I agree. But right now, the Yanks built to win now and in the next whatever years, Yanks needed this player and will worry about 6 years, in 6 years....

Hell yeah, if he's pitching great and the market is there why wouldn't he? That's why the opt-out is there.
I know what you were saying, my point is that, that contract will always be a huge contract, and he would never get more. Remember, in 5 years, he will be 34 , 35 years old. Nobody then , would give him a better contract then he has now. That was thoughts as I posted that.

I know what you were saying, my point is that, that contract will always be a huge contract, and he would never get more. Remember, in 5 years, he will be 34 , 35 years old. Nobody then , would give him a better contract then he has now. That was thoughts as I posted that.
Yeah, I'm assuming though that his current salary will probably be an average salary in 5 years for a Tanaka level pitcher. So the market would continue to skyrocket and he would need to be a #1 starter, if he's no longer a #1 then no biggie since they would probably have to pay about the same for a 2 or 3 anyway by then.

Yeah, I'm assuming though that his current salary will probably be an average salary in 5 years for a Tanaka level pitcher. So the market would continue to skyrocket and he would need to be a #1 starter, if he's no longer a #1 then no biggie since they would probably have to pay about the same for a 2 or 3 anyway by then.
I just dont see that happening. I think there are only several pitchers, that will or would/could get that contract. I dont think that will be the going rate.... Just my thought...

So much talk about the money. I don’t know why everyone is so concerned.9 years, 19 years, 99 years, If they can pay it, then obviously they are making it. We are talking about the NEW YORK YANKEES.
Now someone will bring up the luxury tax and ask will it stop them from signing someone else. Again, THE NEW YORK YANKEES. If they really want the player, they get the player(except Maddox)

So much talk about the money. I don’t know why everyone is so concerned.9 years, 19 years, 99 years, If they can pay it, then obviously they are making it. We are talking about the NEW YORK YANKEES.
Now someone will bring up the luxury tax and ask will it stop them from signing someone else. Again, THE NEW YORK YANKEES. If they really want the player, they get the player(except Maddox)
And Cliff Lee