2020 Yankees

Steve, What do you mean by this? Play by the rules? I never heard Baseball telling teams to try to stay close to the cap... Yanks just always went over the cap and paid the tax for doing so, because winning was so important to them that they werent going t let money stand in their way of trying to win,which I always respected.
Not "rules" per se. Hal and Cashman have conditioned the fans to think it is bad to go over the luxury tax. I am not for ridiculous overspending. For example ... why spend $300 mill on Machado or Harper when we score enough runs and quite frankly - Urshella may not have been as good as Machado in 2019 but he was a better investment. However - $300 mill on Cole takes the Yankees from one of the better teams in baseball to pretty much the best team in baseball by far. I am for smart overspending.

Not "rules" per se. Hal and Cashman have conditioned the fans to think it is bad to go over the luxury tax. I am not for ridiculous overspending. For example ... why spend $300 mill on Machado or Harper when we score enough runs and quite frankly - Urshella may not have been as good as Machado in 2019 but he was a better investment. However - $300 mill on Cole takes the Yankees from one of the better teams in baseball to pretty much the best team in baseball by far. I am for smart overspending.
I hear you. I know you said that when they got Stanton, who you have been right so far, I just predict he has a big year this year. Just my though. Yanks didnt want to spend last year because I remember, them wanting to reset? their cap... not really sure what that meant. As for Ushella, I know Machado is the best defensive 3rd basemen in the game. But I say Ushella is second then. And I agree, that guy was great value.

I hear you. I know you said that when they got Stanton, who you have been right so far, I just predict he has a big year this year. Just my though. Yanks didnt want to spend last year because I remember, them wanting to reset? their cap... not really sure what that meant. As for Ushella, I know Machado is the best defensive 3rd basemen in the game. But I say Ushella is second then. And I agree, that guy was great value.
Each additional year you are over the luxury tax the percentage goes up. If they didn't go over the percentage was going to be like 40% or more. I am not sure of the exact numbers.

If Stanton can stay on the field for most of the season I predict ... 270 avg with 37 HR and 100 RBI. That is his average year. Problem is that he has only played a full year 3 out of ten seasons. if you want to say 144 games is a full season then its 4. He is a very good player if he stays on the field .... which is rare. He is a $20 mill a year player - not 30 mill.

If Stanton can stay on the field for most of the season I predict ... 270 avg with 37 HR and 100 RBI. That is his average year. Problem is that he has only played a full year 3 out of ten seasons. if you want to say 144 games is a full season then its 4. He is a very good player if he stays on the field .... which is rare. He is a $20 mill a year player - not 30 mill.
I agree, but Steve, he never had much help on the marlins. They can not pitch around him with that awesome hitting Yankee team. So, I say he goes a little over all your stats, except for the average.

We don't need him at over 300 million. I rather take a shot on Bumgarner for less than half that. Add a reliever or two, and a nice bat, while retaining Romine.

36-38 million a year, I am sorry, you have to draw a line somewhere. Thats 1.25-1.5 million PER START.

How we paying Judge and Torres if we paying a guy who plays once a week 38 million a year? For once, I hope Cashman shows some restraint here.
We did pay Clemons like 20million for half a year I believe a whiles back. Personally If he starts every 5th day and we offer him 5-6 years at 36 million. I would be happy. Were paying Happ 17 million for subpar results. Paxton will come off the books and we have to see how he performs. A rotation of Cole, Tanaka, Severino, German and Montogomery would be enough and affordalble. Devi garcia is coming up. Ellsbury is coming off the books. But STANTON will kill us. It wasn't pitching vs the astros it was failure to make timely hits thats why we need players like the old Yankees like O'neil, Tino. Tauchman is a really versatile player along with Hicks. Think of all the money each playoff game generates 56k seats times 500 with concession =28 each post season game. Why not pay if your going to make it. It pennywise pounds foolish. The great late Hal was no dummy

I agree, but Steve, he never had much help on the marlins. They can not pitch around him with that awesome hitting Yankee team. So, I say he goes a little over all your stats, except for the average.
I see it the other way - he was such a star on the Marlins because any team winning 5-1 in the 7th ISN'T going to bother pitching around him, let him hit it as far as he wants. So now they DO pitch around him, and he swings at the ball bouncing in the lefty batters box

All this talk about eventually having to pay Aaron Judge. Let's get into that a bit here.

I understand that he doesn't become an Unrestricted Free Agent (UFA) until 2023. His last two years he's averaged just 106 games played with 27 HR (respectable).

There's a lot if griping about Stanton not staying healthy and how he needs to hit the road because of it, but Judge hasn't exactly been the shinning example of good health the previous two seasons.

He has become the face of the franchise, but I question if he will even deserve a big pay day when (if) he becomes an UFA. Judge would be 31 entering free agency, further diminishing his prospective value and hopes for a longer-term deal.

Nothing is guaranteed. You can draft a Sure Thing that's a bust, sign a Stud that blows out his arm, or put aside a bunch of money for your current (injury plagued) star to spend on him when he enters free agency years down the road, only to see said player further decline each year and no longer be worthy of a long term investment.

Nothing is guaranteed.

In fairness to Judge, he was hit by a pitch and lost 7 weeks in 2018. The oblique last year is something big muscle guys can succumb to. When you swing like that, it CANT be good on ones body. Both more freakish things then the hammies Sanchez keeps blowing out.

Stanton IS a product of garbage time stats. Tell me when and where he has hit in the clutch to justify that contract. He is overrated and got paid on being able to hit weaker pitching when his Marlins teams were either up or down big. Much like our boy Sanchez. This guy can't hit mediocre pitching, let alone good pitching.

I would NEVER give him a contract, and I would flip him now while he still has value. Romine is leaps and bounds a better catcher. I don't care if Sanchez hits 30-35 hrs. He hits 240 and is a ghost in the playoffs, you want consistency, thats what he is consistent at. Yanks give him a long term deal and they're stupid. He feasted on bad pitchers and when the games were lopsided.

Ok so let's break that down :
$36,000,000 per year
IF and I mean IF he starts 30 games
$1,200,000 per game
$12,000 per pitch on a 100 pitches
Holy Fuck
And They can pay it !