2020 Yankees

billyS

Reign of Terror
I'm curious to see what gets the most mention; his ability and what it means to the Yankees chances or the size of his contract.

My guess; Yankees fans will comment more on the former and non Yankees fans will harp on the latter.

This has already been the case with the first few conversations I had at work.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Still more work to do, trade Stanton, bring in a reliever, I Like that Harris guy on Houston, add a nice lefty bat for the lineup.

Andujar, Frazier, Florial ??? Gotta think 2 of those 3 are going in a deal
I'd love to dump Stanton but he not only has that onerous contract but it had a no trade clause.
Definitely need a lefty bat. I keep hoping for Voto.
For the bullpen I want Bettances back and another lefty maybe.
Happ is being shipped out but we'll probably need to include a decent second tier prospect.

Unless we can pull off a blockbuster trade, let's get to camp with the enormous depth we have.

Gardy will be signed soon.

Maybe Ford can be that lefty bat. Perfect platoon 1B/DH.

Lefty reliever

I hope that Romine gets a chance to be an everyday player somewhere. He deserves it. Higashioka will make a good back up.

I'm one of the few that would like to see Encarnacion back at a club friendly contract.[/QUOTE]

We are definitely on the same page with the roster. I mentioned Votto last week, his bat and walk rate would play so well in that lineup and park.
Betances back would be great, he has some unfinished business I think as a lifelong Yankee, hopefully with Cole in toe, he will want to stay more now with a bull dog in that rotation, and better chance of a ring.

Stuck with Stanton, unless they can sell him on being a star somewhere else. Just a bad fit and so undisciplined at the plate. MLB network did a piece on him being traded to the Padres, have to say his name in that lineup made it look pretty deep with Machado, Tatis Jr.

I agree, Happ has to be on his way pretty soon. So many NL teams I feel he could benefit from being traded too. Even the Mets with that park and the need for a 5th could use a guy like him. Padres, Brewers, Angels - Eppler was a Cashman disciple

Ho Ho Ho we got some Coal!! Time to stomp the rest of MLB in 2020

Unless we can pull off a blockbuster trade, let's get to camp with the enormous depth we have.

Gardy will be signed soon.

Maybe Ford can be that lefty bat. Perfect platoon 1B/DH.

Lefty reliever

I hope that Romine gets a chance to be an everyday player somewhere. He deserves it. Higashioka will make a good back up.

I'm one of the few that would like to see Encarnacion back at a club friendly contract.
[/QUOTE]

After Encarnacion's atrocious playoffs, I think we can do without him. Rather let a guy like Ford, who you mentioned, get a shot.
I love Romine, so I am going to be a glutton and hope he stays. Another lefty even with Chapman and Britton?

Some combo of Voit, Andujar, Frazier, Florial, and a pitching prospect/Montogmery has to fetch us a decent return on something

billyS

Reign of Terror
We are definitely on the same page with the roster. I mentioned Votto last week, his bat and walk rate would play so well in that lineup and park.
Betances back would be great, he has some unfinished business I think as a lifelong Yankee, hopefully with Cole in toe, he will want to stay more now with a bull dog in that rotation, and better chance of a ring.

Stuck with Stanton, unless they can sell him on being a star somewhere else. Just a bad fit and so undisciplined at the plate. MLB network did a piece on him being traded to the Padres, have to say his name in that lineup made it look pretty deep with Machado, Tatis Jr.

I agree, Happ has to be on his way pretty soon. So many NL teams I feel he could benefit from being traded too. Even the Mets with that park and the need for a 5th could use a guy like him. Padres, Brewers, Angels - Eppler was a Cashman disciple

Ho Ho Ho we got some Coal!! Time to stomp the rest of MLB in 2020
Interesting about Stanton to Padres. I'd take Hosemer's contact back in return

If Paxton pitches the way he did last 6 weeks of the season, all year in 2020, you think we retain him? What would he cost?? Tanaka a free agent at years end too, does he get an extension? Maybe team friendly 3 year deal?? Couldn't see him in another uniform other than pinstripes to be honest.

Paxton and Tanaka's contracts will be dictated by how they do in 2020 and how he Yankees do in 2020. A World Series victory will mean millions more in additional revenue and they can more easily afford a higher payroll. I would like to see Paxton do it for a whole year.

So, lets be real here. Nobody will ever say, this is a good contract. Its absurd. As long as , like Steve mentioned the other day, that his contract may prevent some things down the road. As long as it doesnt...
Yanks wanted this pitcher. They needed an ace really bad to have a chance at winning it all. They know this is a crazy contract, but they went all in, not worrying about cost, or how bad this contract may be down the road. They are giving their team every chance to win. Pretty impressive in my book. Again, I can come here like everyone, and kid about the contract, but Yanks are looking at the present, to win, and not about the future. Plus, you most likely are not hurting future plans, when the contract comes back to bite them, who cares. we always said they can absorb bad contracts. I think Yankee fans have a lot to cheer about....

He has an opt out after 5 years, which he'll probably take if he's pitching really good, so I really see it as a 5 year contract because the salaries for great pitchers will probably be well within that range, or higher, per year in 5 years. If he decides to stay it probably means he's a 2 or 3 starter by then, which may be a fair salary for them in 5 years.

9 years for a pitcher sounds absolutely crazy. So few of those lengthy pitcher deals tend to work out, BUT the Yankees have a window and Cole should put them over the top. Would be devastating after what happened with their pitching last season, and how they came up short yet again, to have a guy like this become available and see him go elsewhere.

Still. Nine years!

Stanton would be tricky to trade right now given his No Trade clause, and coming off an injury year his value is a bit low. Personally I see no harm in keeping him around for next season while he's still in his prime and seeing how he performs. If healthy he'll get his HR and RBIs.

I have been a Yankee fan since most of you were a twinkle in your parents eyes. That being said it amazes me the $$$. Sure on paper everything looks great. Ya never know. I love baseball much better than the NFL.Slow and fast at the same time, tremendous athletes that play , make it look easy. My point in breaking down the contract , if you really look at it stuns me.$12,000 per pitch ! That's serious coin . I welcome all replies.

9 years for a pitcher sounds absolutely crazy. So few of those lengthy pitcher deals tend to work out, BUT the Yankees have a window and Cole should put them over the top. Would be devastating after what happened with their pitching last season, and how they came up short yet again, to have a guy like this become available and see him go elsewhere.

Still. Nine years!
It is absurd, but we gave a 31 year old CC seven years back in 2009, so a 29 year old Cole getting nine years almost validates it.

The million dollars a start says it all. George must be rolling in his grave.