2019 Yankees

billyS

Reign of Terror
Encarnacion really surprised me. I didn't even think he'd be back. Obviously he still has his power and the wrist healed nicely. I guess it wasn't as bad as the break Judge had last year.

Paxton has 7 straight wins and is now 12-6. He's pitching to the potential that the Yanks had hoped for.

Last night's win was is sharpest. 7 innings of one hit shut out ball, striking out 12. His second straight win in which he only gave up one hit.

They are already saying Stanton has to wear a knee brace for the rest of this season. This guy is such a delicate flower. I don't think they want to risk him playing in the field.

Let's see what he's got. If he plays the last 2-3 weeks of the season and rakes, he deserves to play in the post season. I want the most potent line up possible for the playoffs.

Both Stanton and Hicks have a lot to prove this month. The Yankees are a MUCH better team with them healthy,

I agree Excitable Boy - Stanton AND Hicks MUST SHOW THEY CAN HIT. Both players are fully capable of being MVP caliber. HOWEVER ... HOWEVER .... MAKE NO MISTAKE ... Both of these guys are fully capable of sucking ass in the worst way. HIcks first 100 ABs this season he was UNDER 200. AND ... let's not forget how bad Stanton can be when he is bad. I would much rather have Gardner than Hicks 66% of the time. I have said it here before .... Hicks is a 33% player. 33% of the time he is GREAT!!! 33% of the time he SUCKS!!!! 33% of the time he is on the DL. Which Aaron Hicks will we have come October??? The answer is ... 66% chance he is hurt or sucking ass. If he is healthy and raking - he can play. Same goes with Stanton. If Stanton comes back and he is striking out 3 times a game and not hitting at all - I won't even give him a roster spot.

The Yankees have good issues to address. I don't know, and some people don't think it matters, but to maximize the Yankees chances to get to the WS, holding on to the home field advantage is really important. Though they have the best record in baseball, their away record is only third best in the American League. Amazingly, the Rays have a better away record than the Yanks.

I don't want to have multiple posts to all these great comments, so I am going to try and answer in one post.

Stanton should be kept in Florida to rehab and mash Cubano sandwiches. We don't need him this year, or the next 8 (GULP! and not the good kind of gulp)

Paxton looks good, not going to get overly excited yet, but what we been seeing is EXACTLY what we traded for (Thank you for the reference Excitable Boy) He is a HUGE difference maker come playoff time if Tanaka is on and Severino can give us 3-5 solid innings. Just that animal who can mow down a lineup. Love it.

I love Hicks, love his switch hitting capability, his defense. He is in my opinion way more necessary than Stanton. He should be the CF come playoff time if he is healthy. Gardner absolutely deserves to be the starting RF. That said, Tauchman deserves to be the 4th OF, although he is slumping a bit lately. 5th OF is either Frazier or will be Stanton if they deem him healthy (I hope not).

Home field advantage is key for the Yanks in the gauntlet of the AL. They definitely need it, but this group is special. Astros just lost Springer for a few games, so hopefully we can pick up a game or two.

Overall, its such a close AL in my opinion. The best teams are all there and we have played them all well or close. It comes down to Home Field, less travel, health, and some luck/Magic.

I agree with most of your post Nine-Lives - I just detest Hicks cause he is only good 33% of the time. Like you said "if he is healthy" ... well when he is healthy he is only good about half the time. Don't forget in his forst 100 at bats this year he was under 200. I don't want to see a good bat on the bench because Cashman "THINKS" Hicks is the best option. It reminds me of watching Stanton last year whiffing in the pkayoffs and REALLY BAD LOOKING WHIFFS at that.

I agree with most of your post Nine-Lives - I just detest Hicks cause he is only good 33% of the time. Like you said "if he is healthy" ... well when he is healthy he is only good about half the time. Don't forget in his forst 100 at bats this year he was under 200. I don't want to see a good bat on the bench because Cashman "THINKS" Hicks is the best option. It reminds me of watching Stanton last year whiffing in the pkayoffs and REALLY BAD LOOKING WHIFFS at that.
I think you might be a little too hard on Hicks. I know he was under 200 for awhile, but keep in mind he had no spring training and those at bats were like his spring training. He was coming around at the plate until his latest boo boo. He makes contact, plays great defense, and hits well in the clutch. Plus he is a switch hitter and his bat plays well in the stadium. Outfield should be Gardner, Hicks, Judge come playoff time.

Stanton just SHOULDN'T come back at all. If he does there is NO WAY he can bat cleanup, 7th or 8th. Even that I don't want. But They may feel pressure to have him in lineup because of that contract. Winning trumps contract pressure, and I simply don't want to see him having at bats in the playoffs.

He was so painful to watch last year in division series. He comes back and they lose, no matter what he will get the blame. Especially if he is swinging and missing everything. It's a no win for him, he should write this season off. Let his teammates get him a ring.

I think you might be a little too hard on Hicks. I know he was under 200 for awhile, but keep in mind he had no spring training and those at bats were like his spring training. He was coming around at the plate until his latest boo boo. He makes contact, plays great defense, and hits well in the clutch. Plus he is a switch hitter and his bat plays well in the stadium. Outfield should be Gardner, Hicks, Judge come playoff time.

Stanton just SHOULDN'T come back at all. If he does there is NO WAY he can bat cleanup, 7th or 8th. Even that I don't want. But They may feel pressure to have him in lineup because of that contract. Winning trumps contract pressure, and I simply don't want to see him having at bats in the playoffs.

He was so painful to watch last year in division series. He comes back and they lose, no matter what he will get the blame. Especially if he is swinging and missing everything. It's a no win for him, he should write this season off. Let his teammates get him a ring.
They have shown in the past that they don't give a fuck about someone's contract. If you don't produce your gone.
Just ask A-Rod or Ellsbury.

In regards to Hicks ..... just announced he had a set back in his rehab and he has been shut down. No way he comes back this year. So he played in only 59 games this year. I agree - when he is capable of playing (which isn't often) half the time he is very good. The problem is he is more often BAD or injured.

In regards to Hicks ..... just announced he had a set back in his rehab and he has been shut down. No way he comes back this year. So he played in only 59 games this year. I agree - when he is capable of playing (which isn't often) half the time he is very good. The problem is he is more often BAD or injured.
You were 100% right about Hicks and his fragility. Probably better they shut him down, hope this isn't more serious and doesn't require TJS.
That would knock him out most or all of next year as well.

Hoping Stanton can have a minor setback and be ruled out for rest of season.

Fingers crossed my ginger haired man crush can pick it up and make a case for a post season spot.

Lets get Severino and Betances back healthy and able to contribute and I still like our chances. Happ looked good today, but I still don't trust him in a big spot.

With Hicks mostly certain to be out, I'm in the minority that wants a healthy Stanton back. You guys are rough, the guy hit 97 homers in 17/18. He was just shy of 1400 plate appearances as well, so I'm not sure the knock on him being fragile.

I'm loving what I am seeing from Encarnacion. Genius pickup by Cashman.