2019 Mets

I don't know about this deGrom contract. He won the Cy YOung last year ... yes ... but aside from that one year he really isn't a $30 mill a year pitcher. PLus he is 30 years old. They may regret this one.
Now you remember why I said to stay out of the Mets thread. becuase you have no fucking idea what you are talking about. You know nothing about the mets.

LW is ANGRY! Sorry LW .... deGrom is no youngster. WHen he is making $30+ mill a year at 35, you will be furious when they can't sign some good player because of all the money they owe these old players. That would include Cano. You will have a 35 year old deGrom and a 40 yer old Cano sucking up 55-60 mil a year. OUCH!

Mr. Wiggley

But what do I know I'm a bad guy
Had to. That’s not a real post.
Well I would have written more than that but let’s be honest the Mets just aren’t worth it lol.
Cunts....now being fair if they can mostly stay healthy...notice I didn’t say all...I don’t think 90 wins is out of reach. If wheeler is light out all year they might hit 95?

From a pure business standpoint it was a dumb move on the Mets part. They had him under control for two more years. After that they could have decided if he was worth being paid as an elite pitcher. And I don't buy the argument that well if they piss him off now he will definitely leave after two years. Really, have you been paying attention, free agents over 30 have been sitting on the shelf all winter.
Also if they make the best offer after two years I doubt he would turn it down for spite.
As far as him being the best pitcher in baseball, last year he was. An historic year. Right up there with Seaver 1969, Gooden 1985 and Guidry 1978. He was smart to parley that into this contract. But before that he was above average not elite.

So my take, great for deGrom, good for him.
Dumb for the Mets
So because its the Mets, its a bad deal? If this was the Yankees (and I am a NYY Fan), we would be fucking thrilled. He is their leader, an elite ace, its a good clubhouse thing. This helps team comradery, shows the organization is thinking ahead and wants to win for years. The Mets get a bad rap because well, they're the Mets. They have done so many things wrong, agreed, but maybe this is a step in the right direction.

You don't buy the argument that it would piss him off and he would leave? You don't think these players have pride? You give your all to an organization and they hump you on a contract, and you wouldn't be pissed? I would. I would say "Eff them, I am out, they had their chances and years to sign me"

Free agents over 30 have been sitting on the shelf all winter? Yes, they're named Keuchal, Fister, Shields, McCarthy, Straily, Colon, Gallardo, Kyle Lohse, and Edwin Jackson to name a few. None could hold DeGrom's sweaty jock strap. DeGrom got loose after even 2 mediocre seasons before his FA and he is a top 5 pitcher. The current theme in all of MLB is LOCK up your stars BEFORE they hit free agency.

So because its the Mets, its a bad deal? If this was the Yankees (and I am a NYY Fan), we would be fucking thrilled. He is their leader, an elite ace, its a good clubhouse thing. This helps team comradery, shows the organization is thinking ahead and wants to win for years. The Mets get a bad rap because well, they're the Mets. They have done so many things wrong, agreed, but maybe this is a step in the right direction.

You don't buy the argument that it would piss him off and he would leave? You don't think these players have pride? You give your all to an organization and they hump you on a contract, and you wouldn't be pissed? I would. I would say "Eff them, I am out, they had their chances and years to sign me"

Free agents over 30 have been sitting on the shelf all winter? Yes, they're named Keuchal, Fister, Shields, McCarthy, Straily, Colon, Gallardo, Kyle Lohse, and Edwin Jackson to name a few. None could hold DeGrom's sweaty jock strap. DeGrom got loose after even 2 mediocre seasons before his FA and he is a top 5 pitcher. The current theme in all of MLB is LOCK up your stars BEFORE they hit free agency.
He is definitely a top tier pitcher. But they did have club control for a couple more years. Why spend early if you could have waited at least another year? He's not 25.
Something just smells fishy to me with that GM.

I hope they do well. I'm not a hater. Its alot of fun when both teams are doing good.
Id love to have their starters on the yanks but that's all id want.

IT WOULD BE DIFFERENT if it were the Yankees signing him. The Yankees can shrug off one or two bad contracts. The Mets simply can't. They have shown that they won't go above a certain payroll. This contract good very likely prevent them from signing other needed players. It is also important to note that he had 2 years left not 1. With pitchers that is an awfully big risk. That being said .... deGrom is a Met. They have a bad track record. I agree with you on all of those free agents except Keuchel. He has a long track record of throwing 200 innings and being good.

I think a good example is Severino - they gambled when they didn't have to and now maybe he has a bad rotator cuff. If they had waited another year they may have saved themselves a ton of money. regardless of what happens going forward - his value has taken a hit. He is starting the year on the DL with a bad shoulder.

Billy - I agree with you that deGrom may have been pissed .... but you have two years of control. With pitchers it is so risky. If this guy goes down in the next two years the Mets are screwed.

LW is ANGRY! Sorry LW .... deGrom is no youngster. WHen he is making $30+ mill a year at 35, you will be furious when they can't sign some good player because of all the money they owe these old players. That would include Cano. You will have a 35 year old deGrom and a 40 yer old Cano sucking up 55-60 mil a year. OUCH!
Plenty of pitchers can pitch well at 35. Can you say Justin Verlander? Degrom is well worth the risk he's a beast.