2019 Mets

I don't know about this deGrom contract. He won the Cy YOung last year ... yes ... but aside from that one year he really isn't a $30 mill a year pitcher. PLus he is 30 years old. They may regret this one.

Putting it into perspective, the contract is a good one. Consider Verlander got 66 million over 2 years at age 36. Degrom is getting a little more than double that at age 30. Pitching is at a premium and is in demand. Good contract (Health assuming) for both.

I would LOVE a guy like DeGrom on the Yanks.

billyS

Reign of Terror
From a pure business standpoint it was a dumb move on the Mets part. They had him under control for two more years. After that they could have decided if he was worth being paid as an elite pitcher. And I don't buy the argument that well if they piss him off now he will definitely leave after two years. Really, have you been paying attention, free agents over 30 have been sitting on the shelf all winter.
Also if they make the best offer after two years I doubt he would turn it down for spite.
As far as him being the best pitcher in baseball, last year he was. An historic year. Right up there with Seaver 1969, Gooden 1985 and Guidry 1978. He was smart to parley that into this contract. But before that he was above average not elite.

So my take, great for deGrom, good for him.
Dumb for the Mets

From a pure business standpoint it was a dumb move on the Mets part. They had him under control for two more years. After that they could have decided if he was worth being paid as an elite pitcher. And I don't buy the argument that well if they piss him off now he will definitely leave after two years. Really, have you been paying attention, free agents over 30 have been sitting on the shelf all winter.
Also if they make the best offer after two years I doubt he would turn it down for spite.
As far as him being the best pitcher in baseball, last year he was. An historic year. Right up there with Seaver 1969, Gooden 1985 and Guidry 1978. He was smart to parley that into this contract. But before that he was above average not elite.

So my take, great for deGrom, good for him.
Dumb for the Mets
True they should have waited and spent $$ on ALL the other things they need.But they want to please the fan base and feel pressured to do dumb things aka sign Cespedes

Billy is right. He was under control for 2 more years. Being a Met ... what are the odds that he continues to be a elite pitcher for another 2 years? If he falls apart either by injury or results within the next two years they will have made a completely unnecessary gamble.