2018 Yankees

I think I agree with you LW. Tough call on who was better between Torre and Girardi. Torre got TOO much credit. I think he did a very good job through 2003. In the world series he let Wells out of his start because he said his back hurt. Yet the guy was pitching a shutout. He should have forced him to pitch. We lost that game. Then in 2004 he abused the hell out of Gordon and Rivera and they were done against Boston. PLus he didn't have his players bunt against Schilling in the bloody sock game. Torre was given about 3 too many seasons. He earned some time but he should have been let go after 2004 in my opinion or at least after 2005 or 2006. Girardi was decent but his incessant resting of young players was ridiculous and his unwillingness to let a hot pitcher stay in a game was also ridiculous.

@ LI Steve:

Yeah I do think they played hard for Girardi, lots of players have quit on their managers and teammates in the past. If they disliked Girardi that much I don't think it would have resulted in such a successful season. 91 wins for a team picked 4th and to win 80ish games. He did a fine job.

Don't go giving Cashman all the credit here, please. That guy is the epitome of lucky. He has wasted more Yankee money with his terrible free agent signings in the last decade that should have never been allowed. OMG Pavano, Wright, Elsbury, Youkilis, AJ Burnett, Contreras, Kei Igawa (WOW remember this one? 46 Million!) Headley, McCann, A-Rod (Partially), and CC for resigning him after that opt out. NEVER EVER should that have happened and I moaned about that years ago. 4 good years to start, 4 terrible years, and this past year doesn't earn the 186 million he got.

I am not a huge Girardi guy, but bottom line is he won, and he won with a lot less in 2015-2016 then Torre ever had to deal with. So yeah in some arguments he may be a better Yankee manager than Torre was. Torre stepped in a huge bag of shit called Stick Michael (RIP) and Buck Showalter.

Bottom line in all of this good nature fun, is that I don't think they will find someone better out there for the job. I mean they interviewing candidates with NO managerial experience. Cashman wants a total yes man and in order for that to happen he will need to hire someone with no back bone or with any experience.

I'm getting off my little soap box now.

Addison Reed and Jay Bruce !!

I don't think the Yankees quit on Girardi and I don't think Giradi was BAD ... but ... I think there is better out there. Girardi did plenty of bad things recently that convinced me that he had to go. I agree with you on Cashman but some of those deals may have not been his. Let's not forget how George would get too involved. However ... your point is taken. On the other hand ... maybe Cashman has learned because I have liked a lot of what he has done in the last two years.

I don't think the Yankees quit on Girardi and I don't think Giradi was BAD ... but ... I think there is better out there. Girardi did plenty of bad things recently that convinced me that he had to go. I agree with you on Cashman but some of those deals may have not been his. Let's not forget how George would get too involved. However ... your point is taken. On the other hand ... maybe Cashman has learned because I have liked a lot of what he has done in the last two years.
He was just named MLB Executive of the year

@ Steve -

I agree, with you recently on Cashman. He has def been more restraint in recent years, and has made some good trades. I guess experience has helped curtail his impulse to sign every free agent out there.

My thing with Girardi I think goes back to his triple in the 96 series and seeing him hustling around second base for third. Loyalty is a forgotten behavior these days. You sensed he loved being a Yankee. I am sure he rubbed people the wrong way, and he did seem like a douche at times in interviews, eyes blinking rapidly. I can't see anyone out there better, but we shall see.

I am excited for hot stove, hoping they add even more exciting pieces.

Mr. Wiggley

But what do I know I'm a bad guy
Not so sure it was Cashman that wanted all the free agents. Towards the end I remember Torre being asked about a big signing and his response was you know how George wants every toy in the store.

The Redsox wanted Kei Igawa so bad that when he signed with the Yankees, Theo trashed his hotel room. ( I think it was Igawa) . Alot of teams wanted Contreras too. He just couldn't pitch here. He pitched pretty well for the whitesox. Got a ring too. Pavano was a dick but pitched well after he got his money and left. And we all know about fucking Elsbury. Should have kept Granderson.

At least they try. Not like the cross town team.

Oh Geez, Giambi, now there's another one we overpaid for. He fell apart, literally. All those roids, guy was a perennial 320 hitter with Oakland, I think his average as a y

Oh Geez, Giambi, now there's another one we overpaid for. He fell apart, literally. All those roids, guy was a perennial 320 hitter with Oakland, I think his average as a yankee was like 260 or less.

I agree Slick, he was awful! Total fraud! He loaded up on that HGH and the Yankees paid him handsomely. He was NO Tino or Donny Baseball that is 'Fo Show!
Mattingly prior to his back issues was a very good to great ball player.Great glove to go with his bat!!! Giambi during his tenure with the Yankees did put up some pretty good stats despite being juiced. If Mattingly was able to play healthy throughout his career he would be in the Hall of Fame today IMO.

Mattingly prior to his back issues was a very good to great ball player.Great glove to go with his bat!!! Giambi during his tenure with the Yankees did put up some pretty good stats despite being juiced. If Mattingly was able to play healthy throughout his career he would be in the Hall of Fame today IMO.
Another 5 years of those stats, HOF for sure.