Latest Pastrami News

So Frank Bruni reviewed the new Second Avenue Deli in the NY Times today. He gave it one star. However, he invited Ed Koch and Nora Ephron to join him, so the review is at least amusing. But, for an even more entertaining take on the 2nd Ave, check out Alan Richman's GQ blog:

http://men.style.com/gq/blogs/alanr...1621335&time=1202938814&issue=_BHs2O$Bx8QbXmB
This is what I said a long time ago. Bruni seems to understand a lot of things, like how so many people like a restaurant, or many other things simply because they think they’re supposed to. He also understands that Jewish cuisine is unique as it doesn’t come from any one place as Jews don’t either. He also mentions that the rye bread isn’t real Jewish rye, that most people wouldn’t like (or at least prefer, a bread with a milder rye taste), which is what I said. What he doesn’t seem to understand is that the reason that no two Jewish households serve homemade food that tastes the same is that few, if any actually know how to prepare Jewish food properly, that this food is a lot harder to make then you would think, and let me add before writing this that I’m a Jew. Jews are not known for being the best cooks in the world. There really no such thing as homemade pastrami, just as there really no such thing as homemade salami. Pastrami, like salami is a prepared meat. How many people make their own salami?

went to Sarge's today. had a great knockwurst. I was a bit startled as they are redecorating and the walls were bare. I hope they dont ruin the ambiance with some new tacky contemporary style.

some things should just be left as they are.

went to Sarge's today. had a great knockwurst. I was a bit startled as they are redecorating and the walls were bare. I hope they dont ruin the ambiance with some new tacky contemporary style.

The important thing is the food.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator

They have been doing that renovation piecemeal for a while now. In terms of ambiance, didn't you notice they got rid of all the signed photos behind the register?

Also, what out if you go late at night like I do: they made a bad choice on the floor tiel and when it's the sightest bit wet it's slippery as hell. Both my buddy and me almost fell and broke our asses last week.

PS I'm going to have to revive that late night dining thread, because I think I've been to Sarge's 6 times in the last month.

yes taking away the signed photos is a definite negative. they've got some tacky mosaic thing in progress. maybe the photos will be back up some place else.

the food is still quite yummy.

It’s my fault, but pastrami makes me emotional and let me explain why.

My father would take me to Katz’s on Saturdays (not every Saturday, but often enough). We would get the ticket that they always used from the machine. We would go up to the counter (we never sat in the waiters section). My father would order two pastramis on club. Before the meat cutter even began cutting our pastrami, my father would snarl at the cutter “don’t give me the crappy meat you guys always give me!”. Of course he would never tip the cutters. This would usually result in a loud angry shouting match between my father and the cutter. On more then one occasion, the police were called. On one occasion, we were thrown out of Katz’s and told to never come back.

I had to wait many, many years, long after my father passed. I was now a grown man, and I was sure that no one in Katz would remember me. I took my ticker, went to the counter and politely ordered my pastrami on club and a Budweiser (no Dr. Brown black cherry for me).

The pastrami was good, but some how the emotional scars remain to this day.

Last edited:
I can't believe no one has mentioned the Brooklyn egg-cream yet.

(I know, Ozzy, you've been drinking this stuff all your life).
funny thing, the egg cream, once available on every street corner, now no one knows what it is...similar to pastrami, once good everywhere, now any thin cut meat lined with pepper is called Pastrami. Get any in a diner lately? OMG it sucks, it's grisle, it's tough, it's not pastrami. They have the balls to put forth $4 per lb drek as Pastrami.
used to be you didn't even need teeth...I'm going to Merrick again and giving Pastrami King a shot

And when was the last time you had a malted, ice cream soda or a banana split? Remember the corner candy store with a counter (and I don't mean a diner with a counter)? Remember drinking a coke mixed with syrup and seltzer?