Red light camera's why we hate them and how to avoid them !

The Waze app will indicate the presence of red light and I believe speed cameras when driving-

IDK if it’s entirely accurate and there have been situations when the warning pops up and cannot pay attention to the dashboard indication —
The waze app is great ... saved me plenty of times but to report new camera locations you have to use Google maps which then adds the location to waze. A few years ago a lawsuit was brought against waze for obstructing justice and so then took away the reporting feature on waze. 20220828_140548.jpg

Any of my Queens brothers know when they put up speed cameras on the Grand Central Parkway service road eastbound a little east of 164th street?
Got a ticket there a few weeks ago they claimed I was going 50 in a 30.
I've been going that way like twice a week for the last three years and never got anything, half the time it's later at night and I'm in a rush to get home and it's empty after 11:00 pm.

It's only $50 but annoying as hell.
They are everywhere. You Longisland boys need to make adjustments. The school children thank you for the books.

I heard they have a group that goes around hitting the camera lens with paint and disabling them costing the city thousands in lost revenue per camera
Oh, no, it's not the lost revenue that the city is concerned about, it's the lost time until they repair the cameras where streets are not be safer, the lost opportunity to reduce traffic incidents, and the lost opportunity to save lives. :rolleyes:

billyS

Reign of Terror
The city's 2,000 automated speed cameras were previously authorized by the state to operate only on weekdays, between 6:00 AM and 10:00 PM, now they are 24/7, so they may have always been but you were caught duroing the times they previously were off.
Mayor "flipped the switch to make NY'ers safer" on Aug 1st.

https://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-...dams-flips-switch-turns-speed-cameras-24-7#/0

DCAS Commissioner Dawn M. Pinnock. "With the activation of speed cameras 24/7, 365 days a year, our streets will be safer, we'll reduce traffic incidents, and we'll save lives.

Yeah it's totally and only about that.

When I'm across the city line I set my speed control to 25 (or 30 where applicable) regardless of how empty the streets are. I don't need a ticket arriving in my mail box for my SO to see.

It's just a good habit to keep.
Only commit one crime at a time.
Makes sense. I only hit that spot on a Saturday afternoon or after 11:00 pm mid week. Saturday afternoon you're not going to go over 30 anyway.

Thats insane - obstructing justicr For warning drivers that a camera is present? If anything its an extra ‘safety measure’ since the signs stating there are cameras are small or obstructed.
NYC & Long Island are some of the last places in the country with red light or speed cameras as many states threw them out for unconstitutional reasons.

I spoke to that Ruth guy some years back. He told me never to pay those tickets. I never did, and still don’t. When I get them in the mail I don’t even open them, I put RTS on the envelope and put it back in the box.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I spoke to that Ruth guy some years back. He told me never to pay those tickets. I never did, and still don’t. When I get them in the mail I don’t even open them, I put RTS on the envelope and put it back in the box.
The worst that can happen may be that they eventually will not allow you to renew registration on your car. If you have a SO or maybe some other family member, perhaps you can swap cars by gifting (no sale tax on gifts — I've done it with my kid) the cars to each other and re-registering them under new names. Then do it again to start clean again.
Who knows, as the city has a problem in that the ticket is tied to the car as they have no proof of who the driver is.

Is all this worth it? In my mind F**k the bastards who are trying to steal from you — so yeah. (In my mind genius would have been one of the guys throwing the tea into Boston Harbor and one of the 1st guys bringing his flintlock to Concord.

important disclaimer: genius is not a legal type but has never paid parking tickets (although I never got any camera tickets) as the only recourse the various localities seem to have is to prevent you from re-registering the car and by the time they get around to that I've sold the car. There doesn't seem to be a credit report problem as my credit score is low 800's and I've never seen anything on my credit reports about unpaid tickets. (You guys do check your credit reports periodically - right?)

I don't think there is even a problem with my rule of only commit one crime at a time as these tickets are against the car and not me.

Note: that if NYC traffic enforcers ticket your car and during the ticketing they see that you have unpaid tickets they may be able to boot/tow your car. This may be legal as they aren't doing anything against you — just the car that has the tickets

Also for you guys who lease a car (for the life of me I do not see why anyone other than a business owner would lease a car) since you don't own the car there may be a problem when the lease is up.

the problem with this I learned first hand is the boot program - at least in Nassau. They have cars that ride around with scanners on them in the night or in ANY lot connected to government jurisdiction. Any plate with two or more outstanding tickets gets a boot. I personally got booted many years ago for two red light cameras + 350 boot removal fee. The cost was about $700 bucks or more. If you park in a drive way or garage your safe but street watch out. From what I have seen however the threat of hitting your credit has never happened. I actually currently still have two but I got new plates and wont be paying those old ones.

billyS

Reign of Terror
the problem with this I learned first hand is the boot program - at least in Nassau. They have cars that ride around with scanners on them in the night or in ANY lot connected to government jurisdiction. Any plate with two or more outstanding tickets gets a boot. I personally got booted many years ago for two red light cameras + 350 boot removal fee. The cost was about $700 bucks or more. If you park in a drive way or garage your safe but street watch out. From what I have seen however the threat of hitting your credit has never happened. I actually currently still have two but I got new plates and wont be paying those old ones.
I think this may be why Frogger gets away with it. I've only heard about guys in Nassau getting their cars booted and I'm pretty sure Frogger is a Suffolk guy.

I think this may be why Frogger gets away with it. I've only heard about guys in Nassau getting their cars booted and I'm pretty sure Frogger is a Suffolk guy.
technically they are holding your car ransom until you pay and you only have 48 hours or they impound the car. What I found most strange at the time, this is maybe in 2017 was that the boot could only be returned to three locations: the traffic court themselves (which has since moved from cooper st in Hempstead to somewhere in Garden City), billy’s towing in hicksville off woodbury road and a check cashing place in baldwin on sunrise highway next door to the headshop Daze.
Made me wonder what corrupt connection both the towing place and check cashing place have to the county.
I opted to return mine to the check cashing place to see how shady it would be - you had To go to the front window with the protected glass as if you were cashing a check. He then asked for the ID number of the boot, buzzed open what was a closet door with boots piled up like shit. You then got a receipt and were on your way

The worst that can happen may be that they eventually will not allow you to renew registration on your car. If you have a SO or maybe some other family member, perhaps you can swap cars by gifting (no sale tax on gifts — I've done it with my kid) the cars to each other and re-registering them under new names. Then do it again to start clean again.
Who knows, as the city has a problem in that the ticket is tied to the car as they have no proof of who the driver is.

Is all this worth it? In my mind F**k the bastards who are trying to steal from you — so yeah. (In my mind genius would have been one of the guys throwing the tea into Boston Harbor and one of the 1st guys bringing his flintlock to Concord.

important disclaimer: genius is not a legal type but has never paid parking tickets (although I never got any camera tickets) as the only recourse the various localities seem to have is to prevent you from re-registering the car and by the time they get around to that I've sold the car. There doesn't seem to be a credit report problem as my credit score is low 800's and I've never seen anything on my credit reports about unpaid tickets. (You guys do check your credit reports periodically - right?)

I don't think there is even a problem with my rule of only commit one crime at a time as these tickets are against the car and not me.

Note: that if NYC traffic enforcers ticket your car and during the ticketing they see that you have unpaid tickets they may be able to boot/tow your car. This may be legal as they aren't doing anything against you — just the car that has the tickets

Also for you guys who lease a car (for the life of me I do not see why anyone other than a business owner would lease a car) since you don't own the car there may be a problem when the lease is up.
With respect to owning vs. leasing-

Assuming the leasee is the registrant of the vehicle and is deemed a scofflaw, DMV will not allow him/her transfer plates to a new car-They will not issue new plates either. I’ve seen it happen

Interesting topic. There’s a red light camera at Tanger on the corner of Commack rd by the Stop & Shop. Years ago I thought I wouldn’t have a problem there because there was no sign saying ‘No Turn On Red’ but nonetheless I got a $50 ticket in the mail plus $30 surcharge.

It’d be one thing if there WAS a sign telling you not to turn on red, but there was none, therefore I assumed I’d be alright to turn. I’m convinced that most (if not, all) of these cameras are huge cash-grabs especially the ones by that mall. Ever since then, I refuse to turn on red - except for the ones around my neighborhood that I know for a fact are ok to do. And if there’s a car in back of me blaring their horn simply because I’m waiting patiently at a red light, I simply ignore it and be on my way. Not worth the chance of a ticket or accident/collision. On newer model cars (one of my attorney friend’s Lexus 2019) the gps warns the driver of any red light cameras nearby.

You live you learn I suppose.

N
Interesting topic. There’s a red light camera at Tanger on the corner of Commack rd by the Stop & Shop. Years ago I thought I wouldn’t have a problem there because there was no sign saying ‘No Turn On Red’ but nonetheless I got a $50 ticket in the mail plus $30 surcharge.

It’d be one thing if there WAS a sign telling you not to turn on red, but there was none, therefore I assumed I’d be alright to turn. I’m convinced that most (if not, all) of these cameras are huge cash-grabs especially the ones by that mall. Ever since then, I refuse to turn on red - except for the ones around my neighborhood that I know for a fact are ok to do. And if there’s a car in back of me blaring their horn simply because I’m waiting patiently at a red light, I simply ignore it and be on my way. Not worth the chance of a ticket or accident/collision. On newer model cars (one of my attorney friend’s Lexus 2019) the gps warns the driver of any red light cameras nearby.

You live you learn I suppose.
Not sure if this applies to your situation, but if you aren't at a full stop for 3 seconds before you make the legal right on red you will get a ticket

Not worth the chance of a ticket or accident/collision. On newer model cars (one of my attorney friend’s Lexus 2019) the gps warns the driver of any red light cameras nearby.
Known camera locations have been reported for the past 10 years on Waze and in some commercial navigation systems that automakers have been integrating into their cars at the factory https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...stem-speed-camera-warnings-red-light/3009951/ .

If you get alerts for cameras, in NYC you will get the impression cameras are ubiquitous (now 2,000 speed cameras in 750 school zones) and even if you detect or remember 100 in a row, then you forget or don't notice the 101st, you get a ticket. Cameras are only on city streets with limits < 40 mph., not on freeways like parkways or expressways. In addition to the booting/impounding risk for unpaid tickets, if you get and pay a large number of tickets (15 speeding or 5 red light), you will then be sent to a one-day re-education camp or have your car impounded.

More reason to be an anonymous transit NPC as nothing tracks where you exit the train (pay for a ticket to Penn and get out at Woodside, walk the Jackson Heights stroll....).