Red light camera's why we hate them and how to avoid them !

These speed cameras were a money grab. I have a collection of them from 2020. Watch for new locations or stay at 34mph.

Known camera locations have been reported for the past 10 years on Waze and in some commercial navigation systems that automakers have been integrating into their cars at the factory https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...stem-speed-camera-warnings-red-light/3009951/ .

If you get alerts for cameras, in NYC you will get the impression cameras are ubiquitous (now 2,000 speed cameras in 750 school zones) and even if you detect or remember 100 in a row, then you forget or don't notice the 101st, you get a ticket. Cameras are only on city streets with limits < 40 mph., not on freeways like parkways or expressways. In addition to the booting/impounding risk for unpaid tickets, if you get and pay a large number of tickets (15 speeding or 5 red light), you will then be sent to a one-day re-education camp or have your car impounded.

More reason to be an anonymous transit NPC as nothing tracks where you exit the train (pay for a ticket to Penn and get out at Woodside, walk the Jackson Heights stroll....).
I thought re-education camps were in China?

billyS

Reign of Terror
Now that you mentioned school zones, when I was looking for the camera on Saturday afternoon that flagged me at 11:30 pm on a weekday on the GCP service road I noticed it was in front of a school (Thomas Edison Tech HS).
City is getting away with 24/7 by schools, when Nassau county had their short lived school speed camera traps they were only allowed to have the camera on during school hours.

Not that, that didn't stop some schools from bending the rules. For instance Malverne turned theirs on on a Monday night around 7:00 to 9:00 pm because they claimed there was some kind of meeting going on and caught hundreds of people by surprise on Ocean Ave where the speed limit is like normally 40.

But there was such an uproar the county just forgave all the tickets.

And the Pols seeing the uproar in general killed the program all together.
Suffolk saw what was going on and never implemented thiers.

Now that you mentioned school zones, when I was looking for the camera on Saturday afternoon that flagged me at 11:30 pm on a weekday on the GCP service road I noticed it was in front of a school (Thomas Edison Tech HS).
City is getting away with 24/7 by schools, when Nassau county had their short lived school speed camera traps they were only allowed to have the camera on during school hours.

Not that, that didn't stop some schools from bending the rules. For instance Malverne turned theirs on on a Monday night around 7:00 to 9:00 pm because they claimed there was some kind of meeting going on and caught hundreds of people by surprise on Ocean Ave where the speed limit is like normally 40.

But there was such an uproar the county just forgave all the tickets.

And the Pols seeing the uproar in general killed the program all together.
Suffolk saw what was going on and never implemented thiers.
But the city has capitulated to the bike and pedestrians and the politicians are in lockstep except for Staten Island they actually put up signs before the camera to highlight it.

N

Not sure if this applies to your situation, but if you aren't at a full stop for 3 seconds before you make the legal right on red you will get a ticket
That’s true too but I always wait a solid three Mississippi seconds before I make my move at a light. Then again, this ticket was back in like 2017, 2018, so I can’t confirm if that’s exactly what went down. All I know is that there was no sign saying ‘no turn on red’ and I had the pics to prove it. Simply not worth the hassle legally. I thought long and hard about contesting it, but I got bigger fish to fry out there than a stupid stoplight. Not to sound political here but there needs to be a sign at every intersection w/ a stoplight regardless if it’s a three second, five second, or no second stop.

But the city has capitulated to the bike and pedestrians and the politicians are in lockstep except for Staten Island they actually put up signs before the camera to highlight it.
If they wanna ride their bike on a mountain or nature trail etc, then great have fun I have zero problem with that. But I hate that these cyclists and motorbike enthusiasts play victim when and if a two ton motor vehicle crushes them like a soda can, they blame the cars and the drivers. Then I got to potentially waste my time talking to authorities, explaining what happened, maybe even getting in trouble — not because I did anything wrong, but that these assholes wobble their 15 pounds of pipe into the same street frequented as my car.

We don’t allow horse and carriages on the road anymore. Why not? Because it’s obsolete horse-shit. I don’t go pogo-sticking on the rd to work or wherever I want. I mean I guess the sidewalk is like a “walking” lane, but at least on Long Island, you almost never see these designated “cycling lanes” in residential neighborhoods nor do you see bike riders adhering to the normal rules of the road...

“Traffic jam? Red light? Innocent pedestrians? No problem, I’ll just glide on past that shit because I’m on a BIKE ”.

N

Not sure if this applies to your situation, but if you aren't at a full stop for 3 seconds before you make the legal right on red you will get a ticket
You can fight those, the legal requirement is a complete stop before the white line, time in seconds or minutes is irrelevant. So long as you can't to a complete for even 0.00001 seconds you're good to proceed

Known camera locations have been reported for the past 10 years on Waze and in some commercial navigation systems that automakers have been integrating into their cars at the factory https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...stem-speed-camera-warnings-red-light/3009951/ .

If you get alerts for cameras, in NYC you will get the impression cameras are ubiquitous (now 2,000 speed cameras in 750 school zones) and even if you detect or remember 100 in a row, then you forget or don't notice the 101st, you get a ticket. Cameras are only on city streets with limits < 40 mph., not on freeways like parkways or expressways. In addition to the booting/impounding risk for unpaid tickets, if you get and pay a large number of tickets (15 speeding or 5 red light), you will then be sent to a one-day re-education camp or have your car impounded.

More reason to be an anonymous transit NPC as nothing tracks where you exit the train (pay for a ticket to Penn and get out at Woodside, walk the Jackson Heights stroll....).
They can read your metro pass, and see every turnstile you have ever swiped at. They had arrested me claiming I had hopped the turnstiles... they read the card at the station house and saw my compete history, they released me without further incident, but my "location" swipe info sent them down another avenue and hoped I may be able to provide some additional witness information. They wanted to know if I had noticed anything unusual at another station I had swiped 2 months earlier [another passenger was robbed at knife point near the time I was in the platform]

Also FYI, just recently released info from the cell phone carriers on their record retention policies for "location info"

T-Mobile retains granular latitude and longitude coordinates of devices on its network for up to 90 days, and less-granular cell-site location data for up to two years, the company told the FCC in a letter dated Aug. 3. Verizon said it holds cell-site data for up to one year, while AT&T said it may retain cell-site data for up to five years.

Deface both license plates. LE does shit about this. I see plenty of cars with NY plates with the pair wire wheeled off several of the #’s or letters. The idiot who views the video of the offender in with Nassau/Suffolk and even The city can’t identify the vehicle.

N

That is simply not the law. The law says that you need to come to a full stop. A full stop in the law means a full stop, i.e., no motion. I've made right turns on red since the cameras came into existence and never got a ticket. I come to a full stop, look to see if it's safe to turn (no approaching vehicles in my turning lane or pedestrians) — period — then I turn. I don't know how long it takes me to look but it is certainly not as long as 3 seconds unless I have to wait for oncoming vehicles to pass. Little known fact: there are conditions where you can legally make a left turn on red.

There is nothing wrong with waiting 3 secs if that makes you feel better.

from the DMV:

You can make a right turn at a steady red light after you come to a full stop and yield the right-of-way to oncoming traffic and pedestrians. You can make a left turn at a steady red light when you turn from a one-way road into another one-way road after you come to a full stop and yield the right-of-way to oncoming traffic and pedestrians.

Known camera locations have been reported for the past 10 years on Waze and in some commercial navigation systems that automakers have been integrating into their cars at the factory....
The Tom-Tom GPS I used to use years ago always had red light camera alerts. I used to keep it on even when i wasn't using it for directions just for that feature.

Also FYI, just recently released info from the cell phone carriers on their record retention policies for "location info"

T-Mobile retains granular latitude and longitude coordinates of devices on its network for up to 90 days, and less-granular cell-site location data for up to two years, the company told the FCC in a letter dated Aug. 3. Verizon said it holds cell-site data for up to one year, while AT&T said it may retain cell-site data for up to five years.
Which makes you realize they should be able to solve more serious crimes than they want

Which makes you realize they should be able to solve more serious crimes than they want
It’s a fact that the govt is using cell phone location info for some more high profile tax avoidance cases.
Sprung up with COVID and people leaving the city for their vacation homes. Change your mailing address and stop paying city and sometimes state income tax. NY wasn’t pleased with that unintended consequence of the lockdown and is trying to find people who really spent the majority of their time in NY.

It’s a fact that the govt is using cell phone location info for some more high profile tax avoidance cases.
Sprung up with COVID and people leaving the city for their vacation homes. Change your mailing address and stop paying city and sometimes state income tax. NY wasn’t pleased with that unintended consequence of the lockdown and is trying to find people who really spent the majority of their time in NY.
NY has been doing this for Decades using cell phones and EZ-Pass. Hell, they tried to fuck Derek Jeter years ago because he lived and claimed residence in Florida, which is where he lives when he wasnt playing.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Any of my Queens brothers know when they put up speed cameras on the Grand Central Parkway service road eastbound a little east of 164th street?
Got a ticket there a few weeks ago they claimed I was going 50 in a 30.
I've been going that way like twice a week for the last three years and never got anything, half the time it's later at night and I'm in a rush to get home and it's empty after 11:00 pm.

It's only $50 but annoying as hell.
Damn it! I got another one last Saturday morning, this time going the other way (west bound) between 164th and Parsons. No school there just the Par Central. They said 41 in a 30.
Are these things on every block?

Damn it! I got another one last Saturday morning, this time going the other way (west bound) between 164th and Parsons. No school there just the Par Central. They said 41 in a 30.
Are these things on every block?
Billy, I just set my cruise control to the local speed limit when I am in Queens and I leave my GPS on (not set to go to a particular location - just on showing me moving on the maps and alerting me to a camera. I think you can use WAZE also for this) I think there may even be a camera on LIE service road. Some guy at my gym said he got one on Van Dam st heading to QB.

IMHO, you really do not lose significant time just keeping to limits.

I want to reserve my money to help support the girls and not the City. Just the kind of guy I am - always trying to help out.

Just as a 'just for the hell of it' experiment in Queens just do the speed limit, keep track of the guys speeding past you (and risking tickets) and observe how many you catch up to at the next light.

Also, on LIE in moderate to heavy traffic, check out the guys who change lanes every time an adjacent lane starts moving again and when all is said and done see how many end up within a car length or two of your car.