Why I stopped posting on UG

Status
Not open for further replies.

danger-us

BACKCHANNEL BOY
I give credit to slinky (and allen) for keeping the board going in spite of being terribly understaffed. It is more work than one, two or three men should have to deal with, especially when money does not flow in equal to the effort put out. It's a difficult juggling act. You can't survive without money. You can't get advertisers without members. You can't keep interest without content.

UG has often been an informative and entertaining board. So, why did I stop posting? In the end, when it's no fun anymore, it's no fun. Perhaps my not posting was an accumulation of many reasons. Part of which was my disagreement with judgments made by the moderator. I know it don't come easy. I am sure some of this was due to his being over-burdened.

I was banned twice. The first ban came after 492 posts, at a point where I feel I had already contributed significantly to many discussions. I was banned, not for breaking the letter of the law, but for being perceived as "trying to get away with something" that I absolutely wasn't trying to do. Yes, that is a webmaster's judgment call, yet I would have thought that after contributing significant CONTENT to the board, my "motives" would not be so quickly judged. And then I was banned again later for giving non service related information. The same type of post about the same person had been done many times before but, all of a sudden, this person was out of favor. I had no way of knowing this. There was no notice anywhere that you could no longer mention this person's gigs. I innocently posted, was banned and again felt my previous contributions were ignored.

Yet my real problem lay in how some others were handled (or actually not handled). I witnessed certain posters who consistently broke the LETTER OF THE LAW and were allowed to get away with it. One last year, was an acid tongued newcomer who chased off several long-time contributors by blatantly breaking rules 2 and 4. Another example this year, a poster, who I used to respect, made a mess of this board. This person stunted discourse, chased off more real contributors and all to the benefit of this person's selfish agenda.

Why was this allowed? Where the people affected of no consequence? Was there too much fun in watching people get bashed and made defensive? I was a regular contributor and I felt I added something to the community, yet I was certainly made to feel unwelcome.

Blatant breaking of rules 2 and 4, suppresses peoples opinions, takes the fun out of posting and makes good people leave.

I was never here to kiss anyone's ass. Maybe I haven't thanked slinky enough for the good things he's done. Maybe so. I do, however, recognize them. I think slinky has done a great job in many ways. I certainly sympathize with the large responsibility he has, but I still feel he should take some responsibility for chasing away me and other significant contributors. Not that slinky has to care. It's his call. It's his board. I'm just sharing my perspective.

I'm not sure who the respected person you're referring to is, that made a mess of this board... But if it's the same one I'm thinking of (though I never had much respect for her.... We left for pretty much the same reasons.

Though I had a few others including one or two personal reasons for being gone almost a year.

Being as shallow as I am, and not really doing much here except reviews or other women/sexual related experiences, I find it pretty amazing that a persons online personality could actually move someone so much in any direction that they just dont want to be here.(based solely on another persons board personality)
I hope people like DU and the others that left or were banned and now reinstated, decide to post again.
It makes this board alot more interesting.

BMM,

Don't get me wrong... it wasn't the person who made me leave (though as I said... there were other more personal reasons).... It was the atmosphere she helped create. Made the place allot less interesting to me, thus I rarely even looked in while I was gone.

In a way this place was so uninteresting to me for a while, to the point that I didn't even lurk, that it made it easier for me to stay away.

it's been awhile since i posted. mainly because i am not sure what to say anymore. i pretty much miss the old board. i remember when i came to the board think it was around '02. it was such a relief to me to be able to come and chat amongst fellow providers and also find out what goes through the minds of the men in the hobby. i used to look forward to coming to see what was new on the board. it was actually part of my morning regimen. i would go to my local newspaper's site, then straight here to ug. i was a little younger then and sometimes i guess i talked about things that weren't really on people's minds. but even when i did, i never really felt discouraged if someone responded to my comments negatively. but as the years, or maybe it was months went on things changed. i got banned also. i had to create a new screenname and with my new screenname the owner decided to put his own little comments (now you know what dumb means, or somethin to that sort) beneath my name. that was definately discouraging enough for me to stop posting. i felt it had gotten bad enough when i was reading other members' mean comments to fellow providers. but when i read what was put beneath my name i thought to myself that the owner is just as bad as anyone else who spits out things to hurt other people. i still do come here to read up on the things that are going on in this little world we have here. however, i never really feel compelled to join in the conversation. i guess i will always come and check up here, but i think i will only post if/when the board is more hmmm.... provider and hobbiest friendly?

Although I haven't been on here from the very beginning, over the years, what I have gathered is that the original concept of this board was that it was an open forum for people to speak their minds. The board was not meant to be a forum purely for advertising or the fluffballs that the white knights will toss. Providers were and are always welcome on this board, provided the sole content of their posts are not limited to "I'm available, come see me" type posts that comprise 99.999% of provider posts on the other boards.

Unfortunately, providers do come here at a disadvantage, because there are members here that will post denigrating comments towards a particular provider, or providers in general. So a provider can be insulted openly and if they take a defensive stance, it unfortunately can harm them professionally. The most prolific provider posters (the ones who got the most out of this board) were the ones who tried to keep separate their board persona and their professional one.

I just read the posters I have enjoyed reading over the years and will glance at some of the topics from time to time. Most of the prolific posters capture 110% of anything I have to add, so I simply dont bother.

This is sb's and allen's Board, so by default their rules apply. If they kick anyone out, I really don't care. This board has been fun, sad, lively and informative but most of the info has come from a small handful of sexual explorers in whose footsteps I meekly follow. IMHO, folks they banished just seemed to want to post to be argumentative and did not add any real value.

I really need to get a life.

h4c

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Originally posted by danger-us
I was banned twice. The first ban came after 492 posts, at a point where I feel I had already contributed significantly to many discussions. I was banned, not for breaking the letter of the law, but for being perceived as "trying to get away with something" that I absolutely wasn't trying to do.

I'll let my lawyer answer that one.

Originally posted by danger-us
The same type of post about the same person had been done many times before but, all of a sudden, this person was out of favor. I had no way of knowing this. There was no notice anywhere that you could no longer mention this person's gigs. I innocently posted, was banned and again felt my previous contributions were ignored.
If someone posts something, and they see it gets "asterisked out", they can't claim they had "no way of knowing" that it was "off limits".... WHY DOES ANYONE THINK THINGS GET ASTERISKED OUT AUTOMATICALLY? Do they think it's a software glitch? That's it's voodoo? Sorry, when that happens, it's obvious to anyone with HALF a brain that THERE'S A REASON it's going on. Likewise, if someone makes a post, and it gets deleted, and they post if again... did they think IT WAS A MISTAKE, and that we did not mean to delete it, so they should post it again? (hey, that's even specifically spelled out in the rules.....).

But mostly.... why does someone come back after 6 months to post this nonsense? Because they didn't think they took a sufficient shot at another poster last time they were here, and want to make another personal attack on someone who hasn't even posted here in months? All the while pretending that they are "defending" agrieved parties, when the plain fact is they are no better than those who they are complaining about.

One truly amazing irony is that the person who danger-us claims was "run off of UG", and who has whined incessantly to thousands of people that this occurred, has the gall to use the following quote in her Yahoo profile:

"No one can humiliate you without your permission." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Re: Why I stopped posting on UG

Originally posted by slinkybender
Likewise, if someone makes a post, and it gets deleted, and they post if again... did they think IT WAS A MISTAKE, and that we did not mean to delete it, so they should post it again? (hey, that's even specifically spelled out in the rules.....).
You are absolutely right here, but there are times when it seems like there is no rhyme or reason to posts being deleted. I don't ask questions and I do not repost the messages after they get disappeared, but it is problematic when posts vanish for a reason that are not apparent to the poster (I do not think I am alone here, but maybe it is just me.

Truth

Arbeit Macht Frei
HVB

Originally posted by Ozzy
Don't get me wrong... it wasn't the person who made me leave (though as I said... there were other more personal reasons).... It was the atmosphere she helped create. Made the place allot less interesting to me, thus I rarely even looked in while I was gone.

In a way this place was so uninteresting to me for a while, to the point that I didn't even lurk, that it made it easier for me to stay away.
BIG Ditto!

Shows how little I actually read of UG a few months ago.

I guess I left for different reasons than Danger. Same same problem, different issue.

Back to DU reasons..

I can sort of relate to his displeasure with certain people getting SFT..

I use to think UG was the biggest fluff ball board. All the self promoting of girls, and ass kissing was nauseating..

Then there are the people that are close friends with the moderator that seem to be able to do anything they want, and break all the rules without consequence. It got on my last nerve, so I removed myself from the whole board politics crap. And life was good.

So I took a board break, concentrated on work, and other small projects, as well as travelling more.

Then I decided to read, and participate on another board.

GAWD! It sucks.

If I thought UG had a bunch of fluffers, and ignoramus morons, I was WRONG!!! Those other boards are the definition of the words.

However, being there has truly helped me appreciate UG, and all the men here.

For what it's worth, though we have a bunch of assholes here that need an enema, we, for the most part, have some of the most intelligent men, frugal, but intelligent.

No ass kissing, shilling, bs here. No white knights! Girls on this board are left to defend themselves.. As well they should..

I am not around much anymore, and don't plan to return any where near the amount of time I use to spend here, but UG will always be my favorite whoreboard..

And Slinky will always be my favorite banana!!!

BTW....Slinky, I am not black. I am bi racial.

Daddy makes me pale portuguese. My mommy ( may she rest in peace) makes me a black Brit.

I have the best of both worlds!!!

CHANGE MY FUCKING TAG!!!

Truth

Arbeit Macht Frei
Originally posted by Kimmie
For what it's worth, though we have a bunch of assholes here that need an enema, we, for the most part, have some of the most intelligent men, frugal, but intelligent.
You forgot handsome. ;)

Originally posted by Truth
You forgot handsome. ;)
And with cocks that are so hard they could cut a RedWood tree.

BTW Truth. I was just in NYC, on the 36th floor, and I could still hear honking and sirens..

I ain't crazy aight?

Originally posted by Kimmie
No white knights!
Well, not quite. (
and proud of it!).

But, I hope you all don't mind my sarcastic humor. It amazes me how seriously some people take this board when in all actuality it's really only a place for us to bullshit all day about a subject we all love, and to stroke our little egos by speaking out and becoming online personalities (mentioned in a thread some time ago last year). We feel good being here, because someone (anyone) listens to us. I love associating with unusual people, and UG certainly has it's share of them (albeit a lot less now-a-days).

What this board needs is for "the man" ;) to start posting again and stop his bullshit lurking for over a year now.

justme

homo economicus
Re: Re: Re: Why I stopped posting on UG

Originally posted by Spaz Medicine
You are absolutely right here, but there are times when it seems like there is no rhyme or reason to posts being deleted. I don't ask questions and I do not repost the messages after they get disappeared, but it is problematic when posts vanish for a reason that are not apparent to the poster (I do not think I am alone here, but maybe it is just me.
No, I've always known exactly why my posts were deleted.

All good UG'ers have been banned several times. WIth each new life cycle they get closer to that thing the buddhists (or is it Hindu's??) try to accomplish.

Kimmie, what the hell is a "Black Brit"?
Do they get dressed up in savile row suits to steal TV's, and eat fried chicken and watermellon at high tea?

Status
Not open for further replies.