True Detective

It's a great show, but I can't see them getting more than one season out of 2 guys being interviewed in an office showing clips about past events. But it sure as hell makes me want to go to a T-Mobile store... ;)
This years show is only one season.
Next season is a totally different cast with a new story.

Great show!! Didn't want it to end and wanted to see the figure heads get busted as well!

Was the worm hole what he was referring to at the end with his family?
Right before Russ gets stabbed he is distracted inside that ritual room with the skulls with what appears to be some kind of vortex or wormhole forming inside the room. I don't know what the hell that was about because it adds a supernatural element to a story that's not science fiction.

The ending left a lot to be desired and left me feeling shortchanged. To many unanswered questions. They built this case as a rich mans cult doing horrible things to women and children and nobody rich gets caught, all we get are some psycho meth cookers and a hoarding psycho gardener. Who was the Yellow King? The gardener? He doesn't seem to be the ringleader type.

Right before Russ gets stabbed he is distracted inside that ritual room with the skulls with what appears to be some kind of vortex or wormhole forming inside the room. I don't know what the hell that was about because it adds a supernatural element to a story that's not science fiction.
Remember he did a lot of drugs that could have been some lsd flashback

Not sure of this but I think an LSD flashback can be brought about by stress. Could there have been a more stressful situation for him to be in?

Last edited:
I've been avoiding this thread since I was in an HBO deprived zone all week but finally has a chance to watch.

That was definitely one of his drug induced flashback, he had them before while driving, he probably has them all the time. I'm not even certain the voice he heard was the scared man or his own, young preacher?? This episode needs a few viewings, inbreeding really dirty sex, sloth from 7even in the garage, house of hoarding horrors, creepy dolls, animal abuse, English/Southern accent scared faced psychopath, southern gothic voodoo, Druid catacombs, visions of beloved from the other side, reading stars, light and darkness, so much to take in I don't know where to begin but it all means something.

Last edited:
Russ said we didn't get them all, that was an opening for season 2. I think they just scraped the surface of this crazy human sacrifice voodoo cult. That elaborate branch catacomb wasn't built by one person. They are now private detectives, maybe the families of the missing children will hire them to find all responsible. The bar owner where Russ works child went missing and that's why he helped up with that corrupt sheriff, there must be more grieving family members who want justice.

Russ said we didn't get them all, that was an opening for season 2. I think they just scraped the surface of this crazy human sacrifice voodoo cult. That elaborate branch catacomb wasn't built by one person. They are now private detectives, maybe the families of the missing children will hire them to find all responsible. The bar owner where Russ works child went missing and that's why he helped up with that corrupt sheriff, there must be more grieving family members who want justice.
McConaughey and Harrelson are not coming back so this case is over unless season 2 is about the Louisiana State Police assigning two more detectives to clean up the case. The catacombs looked like the ruins of an old fortification or maybe a factory. Why out in the middle of nowhere I have no idea. Most cable shows are 13 episodes long, I wish they had lengthen this one to 13 so they could bring down the whole cult. Errol the sick bastard gardener didn't have the brains or charisma to attract followers or even family members besides his slow witted aunt. There was somebody still out there with a lot of power since that prisoner committed suicide right after getting a phone call. Maybe the body in the bed was the Yellow King, Errol's father, and Errol was preserving the body.

Has anyone picked up on the influence of Paul Schrader in the writing? *I was certain of my suspicion during the end monologue when it they discuss Russ's life in Alaska and much the real life Schrader it is revealed he did not ever watch television until his late teens. Schrader story lines are often revolved around a man with unusual insight and forthcoming manners although polite and social still isolated and at time wrongfully framed for crimes they may not have committed but are easily capable of doing.

I think they will certainly offer a movie deathis there is no season 2 where anything and everything can happen including an Angel Heart Johnny Favorite twist where Russ has a split personality and is The Yellow King and*has been investigating himself the whole time. Why was he being called young preacher?*what was that all about? He navigated himself really well in those catacombs, almost too well. There are enough gaping holes in his life where it could be a possibility.

I'm bummed it's over, want more !!!

I think they will certainly offer a movie deathis there is no season 2 where anything and everything can happen including an Angel Heart Johnny Favorite twist where Russ has a split personality and is The Yellow King and*has been investigating himself the whole time. Why was he being called young preacher?*what was that all about? He navigated himself really well in those catacombs, almost too well. There are enough gaping holes in his life where it could be a possibility.

I'm bummed it's over, want more !!!
Slow down, Russ confronted Tuttle and there was no indication that Tuttle knew him as being something else. In fact Russ broke into Tuttles house and found the Marie Fontenot death tape.

Slow down, Russ confronted Tuttle and there was no indication that Tuttle knew him as being something else. In fact Russ broke into Tuttles house and found the Marie Fontenot death tape.
I thought about that, Tuttle could have been shocked and puzzled by his visit because he knew the truth and had him exiled for lack of trust. The evidence which Russ said he obtained himself from a B&E in Tuttle's home is all on his word. When they showed the B&E scene there was a moment Russ was in three places at once, it's could be a symbol for multiple personality. I'm just saying its possible enough so much he was being investigated as part of the story. They left so much room to go in any direction if made into a feature film. I want to know why he was called young preacher, what did that mean? why did he have to leave the hospital in such a hurry, "death is only the beginning" matches his monologue about seeing his daughter and father and letting go and he said himself he was dangerous and could do bad things with impunity. There is so much reading between the lines with this writing which is what makes it so compelling.

The director has a full plate including a remake of King's It so I doubt we will ever see a season 2 or movie in the near future.

Last edited:
If the writer wanted to remove Rust (not Russ, sorry) from the killer list he could have done so, we are left with more questions then answers for a reason. I still love that this was all done by one writer and one director, for two young guys with little experienced it is a massive achievement.