True Detective

I think it was odd how Woody's children were positioning the dolls. Maybe grandfather could have been involved?
There is definitely contempt he had for his father in law, they didn't go deep into that story. There was the incident of graphic pictures his daughter got in trouble for drawing, she must be the artist on meds maybe a victim of incest but probably bi-polar. Did the wife remarry a wealthy man? she seemed to upgrade her lifestyle.

Is this the yellow king? The middle skull is yellow and so are the raiments.

The Yellow King is the leader, the skull is just symbolism. Who he is will probably remain a mystery, he may be dead but was certainly mortal at one time. The former student turned sex worker said there was two other younger men with the scared guy along with men with animal faces, it's a conspiracy. The writer is a Louisiana native, he must have a better insight to the pagan rituals and practices of that area of the country. I only mentioned an Angel Heart twist because it seemed probable due to his mysterious nature plus the atmosphere does remind me of that great film. Rust could have forgotten or blocked his involvement by drugs or mental illness, yes, it's far fetched but so are certain aspects to the story in general. it is just one theory of many. I would love a movie to tie up the loose ends but they probably didn't know what a sensation the show has become. It can't be written or diected by any other persons, the combo of the two is irreplaceable.

I am not reading this thread, for fear of spoilers. Just watched the pilot last night and am hooked. Crazy good. Already disappointed that future seasons will have different actors. McConaughey and Harrelson are insane, although weird to see Woody playing the straight man.

Viewers predicting that either Cohle or Hart are the killer should re-think it, according to Pizzolatto.

http://global.christianpost.com/new...-in-episode-3-episode-7-and-8-confirm-115776/

While I was watching the season I avoided any message board or publication that discussed the show except for this thread. I came up with my Rust still might be the killer theory before I read there will be no more Rust and Marty at all. A good screenwriter leaves you wondering of alternative possibilities which Pizzolatto has done. Now I'm reading the show is taken a whole new direction and I'm wondering if it's going to be like Chiefs where three different search for the same crime and killer or a completely different killer and crime with new detectives. I can't imagine it being any better but I'll keep following.

I can't bring myself to watch the last episode again, that guy gave me nightmares, I might just have to fast forward those scenes. I did see Mud and DBC and MM is on fire, I'm even thinking he is now a candidate for Thorn in the Soylent Green remake. He mentioned it was Kilker Joe that started transformation, it had to be Friedkin that triggered something in him.

Winter can wait, I've finally mustered the courage to watch True Detective from scratch again, the last episode gave me nightmares so I needed more time before a second approach, I felt I missed some important aspects due to the dense and rich script. It was even better the second time, every single word, gesture, movement, moment matters, I didn't realize how much I overlooked from my first viewing even though I immerse myself in something when its extraordinary. Rust Cohle might be one of the most complex charaters ever to be portrayed on TV, he is always the smartest guy in the room, nothing about him is basic or simple and I predict an sweep during next award season. I would love a few hours with Nic Pizzolatto to pick his brain, he must be fascinating. After seeing Killer Joe, Mud, True Detective and Dallas Buyers I'm convinced McConaughey has made the most dramatic transformation as an actor I have ever seen, most acclaimed stay good to great throughout their career with a few high points, rarely does one stay stagnantly awful in commercially successful fluff for decades and sharply turn to brilliance. He will remain regionally limited like Swank but he has mastered the Byronic troubled Southern loner.

billyS

Reign of Terror
That's on my list of shows to watch. I have heard the same
Leftovers is not in the same league as True Detective. JMHO.
One thing I didn't like about the Leftovers was that the majority of time they would devote the entire episode to one of the story arcs. So if it wasn't a particularly interesting arc then it was a wasted episode. That also made it difficult to follow all the sub plots since it would be weeks in between when you'd see them.
That said I did watch and for the most part enjoy the series.

If anyone has watched The Leftovers , that is the best I have ever watched . Plot,actors, music amazing.
The book was amazing! I read it before the first season. The first season and a little of the beginning of the second match up with the book. Beyond that nothing matches. The book ends with the found baby. From the compound and the town that had no disappearing, has nothing to do with the book