True Detective

Is anyone else watching this? It's excellent. The transformation of Matthew McConaughey from an irritating, shirtless, rom com, chiseled face pretty boy movie star into a mature, paced, Byronic, intense serious actor is worth the watch alone, it's hard to believe its the same man who made all those stupid mindless fluff films.

I loved the latest adaptation of Jane Eyre and it's director Cary Fukunaga has directed every episode of the first season, he excels in atmosphere and storytelling. It's a clever, gritty southern gothic cop mystery drama spanning nearly 20 years with a focus on three significant time periods, it reminds me a little of fantastic British Red Riding series. McConaughey is the driving force of this show, his character is so dark, haunting, dangerous and profound, I haven't seen a cop portrayed with such depth and inner turmoil since Jason Patic in Rush, he portrays an authentic mess in the best sense. Woody is just good but overshadowed in every scene with McConaughey. It's got plenty of eye candy, nudity, graphic sex and violence but it's doesn't seem gratuitous. It's become one if my favorite new shows and I didn't really expect to like it because I've never been a fan of McConaughey until now.

Last edited:
LOVE IT! I had no idea Matthew McConaughey was that good. He's fantastic.
McConaughey went from being a hack to a contender, I don't know how he did it and wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it for myself. I love these kinds of surprises, makes me believe we all don't peak at the same age and the best we can be isn't always behind us, it's inspiring.

Last edited:
Awesome show great dialogue throughout. I liked McConaughey in Frailty but then came Dirk Pitt in Sahara, after which I never watched another one of his movies. Then along comes this show and he is awesome in it although he needs to learn how to smoke a cigarette. I hear now he is up for an Oscar for Dallas Buyers Club so he finally must have learned how to act. I have to admit Em I thought of you at the beginning of episode 3 when he was wondering about the IQ of the people at the revival. "Nobody here is going to split the atom". And it was good to see the girl from Banshee in the last episode. It seems that she is the go to actress for sex scenes. One other thing that I have taken away from this show is that Louisiana's landscape is dreadful.

Last edited:
Awesome show great dialogue throughout. I liked McConaughey in Frailty but then came Dirk Pitt in Sahara, after which I never watched another one of his movies. Then along comes this show and he is awesome in it although he needs to learn how to smoke a cigarette. I hear now he is up for an Oscar for Dallas Buyers Club so he finally must have learned how to act. I have to admit Em I thought of you at the beginning of episode 3 when he was wondering about the IQ of the people at the revival. "Nobody here is going to split the atom". And it was good to see the girl from Banshee in the last episode. It seems that she is the go to actress for sex scenes. One other thing that I have taken away from this show is that Louisiana's landscape is dreadful.
The Banchee girl makes sense because Eli from Boardwark Empire also makes a cameo, they work for the same broadcaster but she might be the most beautiful girl on TV right now.

I like the way he smokes, it's like he can't get enough of it to satisfy, holding it tight with deep inhales it's also the way people smoke pot. Frailty was one of the few old McConaughey shining moments but I forget about him because Paxton was the centerpiece. I don't believe great acting can be taught much like painting or music, it can be refined to learn restraint and expression but you have to be born with the skill. It's possible he found some way to bring out what he must have had all along and he will win the Oscar for Buyers Club. He was also great in Killer Joe, it was a prelude, maybe Friedkin had something to do with the sparking the flame, he's known to push the limits of his actors.

The filmed parts of The Road in Louisiana to get a perspective of hell on Earth would resemble.

Last edited:
Is anyone else watching this? It's excellent. The transformation of Matthew McConaughey from an irritating, shirtless, rom com, chiseled face pretty boy movie star into a mature, paced, Byronic, intense serious actor is worth the watch alone, it's hard to believe its the same man who made all those stupid mindless fluff films.

I loved the latest adaptation of Jane Eyre and it's director Cary Fukunaga has directed every episode of the first season, he excels in atmosphere and storytelling. It's a clever, gritty southern gothic cop mystery drama spanning nearly 20 years with a focus on three significant time periods, it reminds me a little of fantastic British Red Riding series. McConaughey is the driving force of this show, his character is so dark, haunting, dangerous and profound, I haven't seen a cop portrayed with such depth and inner turmoil since Jason Patic in Rush, he portrays an authentic mess in the best sense. Woody is just good but overshadowed in every scene with McConaughey. It's got plenty of eye candy, nudity, graphic sex and violence but it's doesn't seem gratuitous. It's become one if my favorite new shows and I didn't really expect to like it because I've never been a fan of McConaughey until now.
+1

And McConaughey should win an Oscar on Sunday for Dallas Buyers and an Emmy for this show.

+1

And McConaughey should win an Oscar on Sunday for Dallas Buyers and an Emmy for this show.
I completely agree on both. He only has one serious competition for the Oscar and so far none for the Emmy and Golden Globe next season. The direction he has taken his character in True Detective (I call restrained aggression) usually gets nominations, Hurt in History of Violence or Bardem in No Country, it's very difficult to project a dominating presence without emotion.

I didn't see Dallas Buyers Club but I did see American Hustle and it will take one hell of a performance to beat out Christian Bale for that Oscar. It's funny, one guy gained 40 lbs and the other lost 40 lbs.

+1

Mike, you were right as always, he won the Oscar for DBC. He is going to sweep the Emmy's and Golden Globes for True Detective.

I don't want to discuss too many details in case some members haven't seen it yet but it's just keeps getting better and he is still the dominating presence of the show. Thd last two episodes were so scary good I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Seeing him on the Oscars I am even more impressed with True Detective. The makeup team is amazing!
He looked nothing like his DBC or TD characters last night. The makeup is amazing but it only goes so far, I read besides starving some actors dehydrate themselves to to get that gaunt hollow face sickly look.

What makes this show so good besides McConaughey is it has only one writer and one director. Unlike other shows that storylines ended up a big confusing mess from too many creative differences this show is like a fluid long movie divided in sequences.

I normally aviod the behind the scenes conversations with the creators but with this show it's essentiat, it's just two guys, the writer and director explaining the story in a very intimate way without ruining the experience.

In a way that's good. Meaning, that the case will come to a conclusion this week and I won't have to wait a year for it to continue. If it doesn't come to a conclusion, then it sucks

It's a great show, but I can't see them getting more than one season out of 2 guys being interviewed in an office showing clips about past events. But it sure as hell makes me want to go to a T-Mobile store... ;)