The Wire....

The wierdest thing about the wire is that you can watch it a week earlier on HBO On Demand. I thought they made a mistake at first but I noticed it's like that every week. It's a pretty good idea to have it a week earlier, gets more people to order on demand for extra money.

If you have digital cable & HBO, there is no extra charge for the on demand viewing. The only problem I have with the On Demand viewing is that I don't often see it onthe first night it's availble, and one of the best moments this season (Royce's blow job) was some what spoiled for me when it was mentioned in a post before I saw the episode!

hmmm...

HBO on demand is free? Not for me it isn't. All on demand channels are an additional $5.95. I even called cablevision to verify it. The woman said that there is always a charge for it. So it is possible that you have it and maybe they don't realize you aren't getting charged for it.

As far as this season goes. I am loving it. I look forward to it every week. I just love the Omar character. the season is progressing nicely and I am looking forward to anither season.

HBO on demand is free? Not for me it isn't. All on demand channels are an additional $5.95. I even called cablevision to verify it. The woman said that there is always a charge for it. So it is possible that you have it and maybe they don't realize you aren't getting charged for it.

As far as this season goes. I am loving it. I look forward to it every week. I just love the Omar character. the season is progressing nicely and I am looking forward to anither season.
Never thought I'd say this, but too bad you don't have Comcast. If you subscribe to a premium channel all that channel's PPV content is included.

Well gang, with season four wrapping up, any comments?

There were a number of things things I liked, but a couple of items that didn't ring true. The most impressive thing this season was the performances turned in by the young actors playing the kids. I've watched the entire season twice, and I don't think there was a single moment that these kids were on screen that seemed false or obviously acted.
I hated seeing one of my favorite characters, Bubbles, be a victim for the entire season, but I have to admit that this would be a likely reality for a street junkie.
I liked seeing Carver turning into a good cop, while dumbass Herc's thrashing around adds to the woes of almost everyone.
One of the things that bugged me from the start was the sudden revelation that Wei-Bay was a devoted father. For 3 years we know he had a soft spot, at least for fish, but suddenly he has a son he's trying to parent from prison? I liked the way the way the story line and characters developed, but it struck me as a soap opera plot device.

Funny thing about OnDemand - at least on Comcast. Usually, they put up HBO series episodes right after the first West Coast airing. But sometimes strange things happen . . . at the beginnning of the season, they put up the first two episodes of The Wire after Episode 1 was shown. And they did the same thing with the last two. So I had a Wire orgy earlier this week.

A few comments - but I don't want to be a spoiler, so I'll keep this very cryptic.

If you like Bub, hold on to you hat tonight. Carver goes the extra mile - but don't be so quick to write off Herc. As for Wei-Bay, the transformation is complete.

Hope that clears everything up ;-)

billyS

Reign of Terror
It is one of the best shows on TV ever. They have a knack of picking up a new story line and keeping the old ones in the background. Exception might be season two with the dock stuff but we did see one of the "Greeks" last episode along with the women cop. Valchek was from season 2 also. But they just keep it interesting. I agree the kids were great. We saw them at the begining of the school year and saw four characters really develop over the season. I think Micheal will be a real polayer next season. Duquone is lost to the streets.
But every year I wonder how they are going to keep it as good as the previous especially since you get attached to the characters, but every year I get engrossed with hte plot and the new characters. They keep enough of the old stuff to give the overall story continuity.
Good bye to Bodie his charater met the same fate as his Oz character
Also this year really sets up the plot for next season.
I see Major crimes unit reving up to get Marlo.

This show has some great characters. I was pissed about Bodie. I thought he would be smart enought to take out Snoop or Chris.
Omar is unique character. The one scene that really sticks out is him walking down the street in his blue PJ's looking for Honey Nut Cheerio's. He could not hide the gun, but it did not matter. His rep kept him safe. The street alerted people, and they fled.
McNaulty is another favorite, but he needs to start drinking again.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
When is this show coming back!?!? I really like Flight of the Conchords but 25 minutes of comedy is nothing compared to the best show on television.

Gavy

Without a doubt my favorite show on TV. It's sad they're only going one more season. I even keep my favorite provider and NP4P numbers by going "across the five" so that my SO would never find them.

For loyal fans that just can't absolutely wait until Sunday nights, HBO is again offering the wire on it's on demand channel a week early. I caught the first episode already and it's still strong. I don't like the following of the newsroom reporters as much as the special crimes unit but they tie it in nicely.

Didn't realize there was The Wire thread when I commented on it in the Best of TV 2007 thread.
Anyways glad to see there's alot of love for an amazing show.
I'm excited for the premiere of Season 5.
Last year's theme was education, this year it's the media.
Can't wait!
Plus Snoop is the baddest female villain ever created.