The Wire....

Did you know that the guy who plays Clay Davis originally auditioned for Lester Freeman's part? I wouldn't be able to take that much of him if he played Lester. Lester is a great character....
Man if you wanna see those characters in i whole different light, what the corner also from HBO, most of the wire's cast was picked up from this show, Lester Freeman was gimpy drug addict and so was Daniels Wife. Amazing show

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Fuck Kima Greggs

I never liked her on the show. Always thought her "smarter than you" was obnoxious, annoying. I know a lot of "Wire" fans really like her character, but I never did. I was actually going to bust ace's balls when he wrote that the "Good Night Moon" ending a souple of episodes ago was cool. I was really let down. Cheesey way to end a show with a cheesey character.

And now she's a rat.

Well, that's how things are going to go down. We were upset with Omar going down, I guess others will be disappointed that Greggs is a rat. Me? I just knew she'd fuck things up. Fuck Jimmy for trusting her. Bunk was pissed, but at least he didn't snitch.

Gavy

Maaaaaaan....I thought that Good Night moon was a great spin. Kima isn't one of my favorite characters but I just liked how that fucking environment is in your head 24/7 and no escaping it.

You want to bust on me for anything...bust on me for wanting to shed a tear when Michael dropped off Bug and then left Dookie with the junk man. That was some heart wrenching shit....

Last edited:
You want to bust on me for anything...bust on me for wanting to shed a tear when Michael dropped off Bug and then left Dookie with the junk man. That was some heart wrenching shit....
When I saw Dookie walking towards the junk man shooting up, I thought, here is the new Bubbles. One man gets out of the life, and another kid enters.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I've been avoiding this thread even though the Wire is one of my all time favorite shows because I know you guys discuss it off the Demand episode. So now that I'm caught up.....
I liked the way they brought back old characters for cameo's Pablo Schreiber heckling the Mayor, Poot working in Foot Locker, Randy at the Juvinell hall, The Russian in Jail, Barksdale,
Namon, Bunny Colvin and there have been more......
I thought throwing Det. Munch (Belzar) into the scene in the cop bar was funny.
I thought McNulty's reaction to the guy reading the profile at Quantico was priceless considering he was describing him to a T.
I was shocked Omar got it from Kennard, the little hopper who ripped off Namon last year.
I was surprised Micheal did Snoop.
I loved it when Clay Davis called Lester a shakedown artist and Lester didn't even blink. His look just said "Takes one to know one"
I'm not looking forward to next week though. There is no way they cab wrap up such a great show in one hour. My guess is that they will choose to leave some loose ends because in the end life goes on in Baltimore, just with new players.

I've been avoiding this thread even though the Wire is one of my all time favorite shows because I know you guys discuss it off the Demand episode. So now that I'm caught up.....
I liked the way they brought back old characters for cameo's Pablo Schreiber heckling the Mayor, Poot working in Foot Locker, Randy at the Juvinell hall, The Russian in Jail, Barksdale,
Namon, Bunny Colvin and there have been more......
I thought throwing Det. Munch (Belzar) into the scene in the cop bar was funny.
I thought McNulty's reaction to the guy reading the profile at Quantico was priceless considering he was describing him to a T.
I was shocked Omar got it from Kennard, the little hopper who ripped off Namon last year.
I was surprised Micheal did Snoop.
I loved it when Clay Davis called Lester a shakedown artist and Lester didn't even blink. His look just said "Takes one to know one"
I'm not looking forward to next week though. There is no way they cab wrap up such a great show in one hour. My guess is that they will choose to leave some loose ends because in the end life goes on in Baltimore, just with new players.

I like the way they brought in all the cameos as well. A review of the final episode said they wrapped up the show nicely. I find it hard to believe as there is no way they have anything on the Greek and the previews showed Marlo out and about on the streets of Baltimore. I'm thinking the case gets thrown out because that knucklehead Herc blabs to Marlo's attorney about how he provided the cell number. As you said, life goes on in Baltimore with a new cast of players.

If you want an early peak of season FINALE

I like the way they brought in all the cameos as well. A review of the final episode said they wrapped up the show nicely. I find it hard to believe as there is no way they have anything on the Greek and the previews showed Marlo out and about on the streets of Baltimore. I'm thinking the case gets thrown out because that knucklehead Herc blabs to Marlo's attorney about how he provided the cell number. As you said, life goes on in Baltimore with a new cast of players.
http://forums.sohh.com/showthread.php?t=988511

i definately don't want to look at any spoilers or previews for the finale.
I know I won't be the only wire fan watching the finale with a heavy heart.
Saying goodbye to the best characters, best writing, and best world TV has ever given us (in my opinion) is going to be tough.
Watching Snoop die at the hands of Micheal last week
was damn near poetic.

"How my hair look?"
"You look good girl."

billyS

Reign of Terror
Wow

They did it! They made a satisfying Series Finale.
I don't have much time now but I just want to mention the montage at the end, some funny, some sad and some poignant moments:
Sad: Dukie shooting up
Funny: Valcheck being named Commissioner
Poignant: Bubbles being allowed upstairs to eat with his sisters family.

Other notable developments:
Micheal as the new 'Omar'
Sydnor as the new McNulty - The scene where he was telling the judge about the murders, that is how the series started with McNulty doing the same thing
Cheese getting wacked, Slim Charles stepping up.
Chris and Wey-Bey chilling in the yard.

Outstanding Ending

I agree with Billy S, probably the best series ending that I can remember.
However, I expected nothing less from the writers. All the story lines were completed appropriately and realtistic as well as interesting conclusions were given.
Kudos to Daniels and Rhonda, as well as the fates of McNulty and Freamon. Gus was great despite the NY Times like quality of the BS reporter.
The series will be sorely missed and I think it will be a long time until the public will be able to enjoy quality writing and acting that I saw in this series.

I thought it was a good ending. Not necessarily great but at least I wasn't disappointed. Maybe I'm just distracted by the fact that I'm upset that it's over.

I always thought Slim Charles and Sydnor were two of the more underrated characters on the show. They deserved a quick glimpse into what they were going to be up to in their future roles. Slim Charles was always a decent Lieutenant to Avon and Sydnor had me laughing with his early appearance as an UC homeless guy who wore his ring and clean shoes. Most series enders wouldn't have given a second thought to mention these players.

I thought the Marlo ending was a little week. He no longer has a crew and he's out in the street trying to get his name out there after selling his connect? I almost feel as if they threw that scene in just to have a highlight for the previews.

I'm just sad it's over...

billyS

Reign of Terror
I thought the Marlo ending was a little week. He no longer has a crew and he's out in the street trying to get his name out there after selling his connect? .
I think they were showing he was more like Avon then Stringer Bell in that he could not stomach wearing a suit. He was more at home in the streets getting blood on his hands. Thats all they were trying to show. To Marlo, his whole world revolves around the streets and what his name means in the street. Remember the scene in the jail cell when he flipped out because no one told him Omar was calling him out in the street.

I think they were showing he was more like Avon then Stringer Bell in that he could not stomach wearing a suit. He was more at home in the streets getting blood on his hands. Thats all they were trying to show. To Marlo, his whole world revolves around the streets and what his name means in the street. Remember the scene in the jail cell when he flipped out because no one told him Omar was calling him out in the street.
I see your point....maybe I just never really took to Marlo. I always thought of him as too stupid and as the show alluded to, not street smart enough to run a gang. I think his own crew knew that because as you mentioned, they kept all the news from him that Omar called him out. They probably knew he was too weak to go up against Omar or would do something incredibly stupid. Despite his own stupid decisions, I thought Avon was a great character and extremely believable. Marlo not so much.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
I'm with Ace. A "good" ending. Not exactly what I was waiting for after five years of watching. Again, maybe I am too upset that it's over. I never liked a TV show like this and doubt I will again.