The Wire....

the wire is great. the opening scene when the kid(i think its a girl) was buying the nail gun was one of the best openings i have seen on tv. by the way, i don't watch a lot of tv.

Saw episodes1 & 2 on HBO OnDemand, looks like another great season. The scene with Mayor Royce getting blown is priceless. And so far not alot of McNulty but its got such a rich cast of characters that you hardly miss him. Funny thing I was watching Ian McKellens take of Richard 3rd the other night, and West played Richmond in that film.

BTW does anyone have an idea what the closing music is from.

billyS

Reign of Terror
justbill_redux said:
I have no idea but it is very haunting.

I agree it is one of the best shows on TV. I'm as sorry as McNulty to see Stringer go but I'm sure the show will be just as good.

justbill_redux said:
I never saw the show but have been thinking about getting the early seasons' DVDs.According to Wikipedia it's "The Fall " by Blake Leyh,the show's music director.
Is this it?

greyfox said:
I never saw the show but have been thinking about getting the early seasons' DVDs.According to Wikipedia it's "The Fall " by Blake Leyh,the show's music director.
Is this it?
Yes, that's the closing theme. It's interesting that they've had different versions of the song used as the opening theme each year, but have used this as the background for the credits since the first show.

greyfox said:
Is this it?
Thanks guy I looked all over for the composer of, never thinking it would be on Wikipedia.

yeah....

Stringer got what he deserved. It was interesting to see how Avon and Stringer turned on each other in the end. My favorite character is Omar though we haven't seem him yet. I also think my favorite season was season 2. The whole Frank Sabatca angle with the Russions was great....

Love it, love it, love it.

If you have HBO On Demand, the "making of" (or whatever) extra is interesting and worth waching (actually there are 2 and I saw 1 of em). If you couldnt tell, I'm TOTALLY PSYCHED THAT IT STARTED UP AGAIN!!!

nb: IIRC, wasn't the first season supposed to be a mini-series only?

R1

iusedtobeone1 said:
Stringer got what he deserved. It was interesting to see how Avon and Stringer turned on each other in the end. My favorite character is Omar though we haven't seem him yet. I also think my favorite season was season 2. The whole Frank Sabatca angle with the Russions was great....
From a preview at the end of the 2nd episode Omar makes a apperance in 3. Agree that hes a great character not many gay black hitman/robbers with a soft spot. The Marlo character looks like a good pickup from Barksdale and Stringer Bell. Look at the cast of kids they have now, there's one scene where their talking about going back to school and the girls they want to hook up with, I was pissing myself I laughed so hard.

Dont know if it was going to be a miniseries at first but I'm glad it wasn't. Truly a great show and I was glad HBO gave them yet another season.

I agree that this is probably the best show on TV and close to the quality of the first several years of the Sopranos. I may not have this exactly right, and I will watch again to get it down exactly, but the quote of the day in the NY Times should be "You have strong dick , Mr. Mayor, and you use it well."

i'm surprised HBO hasn't cancelled it yet. it seems that it is what they usually do once people start enjoying shows. carnivale just kept getting better and i wasn't a big rome fan but a lot of people liked it.

yes indeed...

milkman said:
i'm surprised HBO hasn't cancelled it yet. it seems that it is what they usually do once people start enjoying shows. carnivale just kept getting better and i wasn't a big rome fan but a lot of people liked it.

I couldn't agree with you more. Carnivale was one of my favorites....

milkman said:
thats the problem with todays world. forget about quality and loyalty. its about popularity ratings and money. and i'm not just talking about tv.
Quality wins for a change.

Balancing small audiences again critical acclaim, HBO has picked up a fifth season of drama The Wire. The network will commission an additional 13 episodes of the amazingly gritty "police versus drug dealers" drama, but the expected air date could not be learned.

The decision came just two days after the debut of the fourth season, which drew only 1.5 million viewers. That was up a bit from the premiere of the previous season, but just a fraction of the four million viewers averaged by a new episode of Deadwood or the 9 million drawn by an episode of The Sopranos. All those numbers increase through repeat viewing on the network and—importantly—through video-on-demand services, but cable operators won't make VOD numbers available for nearly a month.

Created by former Baltimore Sun reporter David Simon, of Homicide fame, The Wire paints an intensely bleak and textured portrait of urban Baltimore, with its internecine battles among cops, politicos and drug dealers. The show takes its largely black cast on a dozen parallel plotlines, demanding a far greater level of commitment and attention from its audience than standard escapist police procedurals, which limits its audience appeal.

The current season dives into the public-school system, putting a harsh spotlight on teachers trying to cope with educating drug-dealing "corner boys." In a recent interview, Simon said he pitched HBO execs about taking the next season into the media, focusing on how local newspapers and TV stations play uncomfortable roles in the twisted politics of big cities.

Source http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6371196.html?display=Search+Results&text=the+wire

Last edited:
milkman said:
the wire is great. the opening scene when the kid(i think its a girl) was buying the nail gun was one of the best openings i have seen on tv. by the way, i don't watch a lot of tv.
I like that opening scene and yes that is a girl her name is Karen Vicks.
I hope they do pick it up for the 5th season. But knowing HBO.
K