The Smiths; and other musical favorites and opinions of aging mongers

It would be a toss up for me.
Pink Floyd animals
Led Zeppelin physical graffiti
Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell or rush 2112
Beatles: Abbey Road, Sergeant Pepper, The White Album (fuck-it, all of them)

Moody Blues: Days of Future Passed, Seventh Sojourn.

Emerson Lake & Palmer: Works Volumes 1 & 2. (Gregg Lake lyrical portions)

Yes: The Yes Album.

Neil Young: After the Gold Rush.

Joni Mitchell: Ladies of the Canyon.

Eric Clapton: Live From the Royal Albert Hall, 1991. (best version of “Old Love”)

The Band: The Last Waltz.

Favorite songs, all time: “Soon,” by Yes.

&

“Long as I Can See the Light,” by Credence Clearwater Revival.

He plays very chordal and repetitively locks into a theme. A really good player could make it so much more interesting .
I love Morrisey’s self indulgent and vain lyrics. It’s all human and real —- just like UG. Hand in Glove is a powerful song. I used to listen to it 30 years ago when I was an English major. The Smiths still have a strong power on me. They are unique. No other group is like them. Marr gave Morrisey the edge he needed like Lennon did for McCartney.

Johnny.Marr

Unabashed Shill
This thread peaked my interest so I watched a few vids of live performances. As someone who also made their living in the 80's playing in bands I would say the guitar player is average at best.
You said you played in bands in the eighties and you never heard of The Smiths? Correction, you said you made a living doing it. Admittedly, being a UK band, they didn't have anywhere near the success here in America vs. at home. Still, I would have thought a professional musician like yourself would have heard of them.

So what kind of music did your bands play? Maybe it wasn't rock and that's why. Jazz or country possibly. That would explain it.

I worked in a rock club during The Smiths time and many of the bands that played there spoke of them. Some of them even played their tunes. In fact, that's how I got turned on to them when I saw one of our regular bands playing "Hand In Glove." (Although, it had to have been a few years after it was released. I'd say 1986 or so.)

And even if you never heard of The Smiths, surely you must know who Morrissey is. Even just his name. He's probably your age. (Think he will be 63 this year.)

billyS

Reign of Terror
You said you played in bands in the eighties and you never heard of The Smiths? Correction, you said you made a living doing it. Admittedly, being a UK band, they didn't have anywhere near the success here in America vs. at home. Still, I would have thought a professional musician like yourself would have heard of them.

So what kind of music did your bands play? Maybe it wasn't rock and that's why. Jazz or country possibly. That would explain it.

I worked in a rock club during The Smiths time and many of the bands that played there spoke of them. Some of them even played their tunes. In fact, that's how I got turned on to them when I saw one of our regular bands playing "Hand In Glove." (Although, it had to have been a few years after it was released. I'd say 1986 or so.)

And even if you never heard of The Smiths, surely you must know who Morrissey is. Even just his name. He's probably your age. (Think he will be 63 this year.)
No need to address Pokler.
He has been banned from this thread since all he was doing was insulting people, starting shit and not really contributing anything worthwhile.

I love Morrisey’s self indulgent and vain lyrics. It’s all human and real —- just like UG. Hand in Glove is a powerful song. I used to listen to it 30 years ago when I was an English major. The Smiths still have a strong power on me. They are unique. No other group is like them. Marr gave Morrisey the edge he needed like Lennon did for McCartney.
He probably never heard of the Cure either. Even though they're in the Rock hall of fame.

justme

homo economicus
No need to address Pokler.
He has been banned from this thread since all he was doing was insulting people, starting shit and not really contributing anything worthwhile.
I saw an alert saying that my post had been removed… reason: banned from the thread. I though someone was protecting me from my own irritation.

Now I understand.

Anyway… remember Vermeer? Haha

How could I forget him!
Just looked up Vermeer’s posts about cheap ways to get laid or something like that. What happened? Did he fall of the grid? It’s sad to think what happens to some of us. Some i guess die and we never know about it or some decide they’ve had enough and quit the hobby? Who knows.

Anyone remember The Good Rats?
Local LI Band from the 70’s

Fond memories of seeing them at CBGB’, drinking way to much, waking up in the gutter , losing a couple of hours of my life not knowing what Pepe’s encore song was

Don't get me started about the hall of fame until J. Geils Band, Jethro Tull and Pat Benatar get in. It's a bit of a joke. Probably missing a half a dozen more.
Realllly!!!!! Jethro Tull!!!!!! “Skating Away,” “Aqualung,” “Thick As A Brick.”

That is a travesty.

That is why when Yes was finally inducted, Rick Wakeman was so pissed that they waited until his bandmate died, instead of a great gratitude speech, he just did his dirty joke schtick, which was absolutely hilarious.

(Besides being an absolute maestro of the keyboards, as a hobby, he performs cheeky English standup comedy)

justme

homo economicus
He was a sock puppet.
As context, sock puppets and alter egos were way more common back then. I wasn’t around for his unmasking, so I still don’t know the story.

in my mind he was more a light troll with an exaggerated misogynistic and ironically racist persona. Mostly made me cringe, but occasionally was hilarious. Sometimes Pokler gives off similar vibes… but not nearly as offensive (or funny).

billyS

Reign of Terror
I wasn’t around for his unmasking, so I still don’t know the story.
There was never really an official unmasking.
There were many popular theories, some of which were vehemently denied.

The two woman who who found themselves in his cross hairs most often both passed away. And the members most likely pulling his strings eventually stop posting.

justme

homo economicus
There was never really an official unmasking.
There were many popular theories, some of which were vehemently denied.

The two woman who who found themselves in his cross hairs most often both passed away. And the members most likely pulling his strings eventually stop posting.
Yeah, he really went after Kimmie/Vanessa, right? I do remember that. She always came off as so very sweet. She is missed. Who’s the other? Dawn?

billyS

Reign of Terror
Yeah, he really went after Kimmie/Vanessa, right? I do remember that. She always came off as so very sweet. She is missed. Who’s the other? Dawn?
Yes Kimmie/Vanessa. And yes in real life she was a very sweet, down to earth person, albeit she would get nasty streaks of jealousy.

The other lady was Micki the MILF. She was actually his first and main target.

justme

homo economicus
Micky! That’s right. She wasn’t as prolific as Vanessa… but then I think the only woman who had a higher post count is HvB.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Micky! That’s right. She wasn’t as prolific as Vanessa… but then I think the only woman who had a higher post count is HvB.
HvB, ah don't get me started :eek:
But HvB does have the highest post count of any member without a penis with 8,321.
Next in line is the lovely Fair Emily with 7,440.