The Smiths; and other musical favorites and opinions of aging mongers

justme

homo economicus
Kinda. I thought it funny that he said he wore out a CD. On a Audio forum years ago, someone was talking about some scam flashlight that you could shine on tapes to “improve” them, and some wag replied that he was going to design a scam device to Degauss CD’s to do the same.
CD Stoplight.

I’ve been thinking about this and there really is no intersection between The Smiths and mongering and I’m not saying anyone suggested there is. But every time I see a new post here I keep thinking that our 1980s “younger selfs” would be ashamed of us for giving into our Freudian “Id” animalistic impulses. The Smiths and mongering go as well together as ketchup and cantaloupe. They should never be spoken of in the same sentence. The Smiths to me are erection killers and they were about “acting in” and at most staying home - being depressed, sexually frustrated, repressed, nihilistic and of course celibate. Not about “acting out” your sexual wants - no they were much more subtle about it - well except for the song “Some girls are bigger than others.” At least The Police (Sting) were honest about mongering and falling in love with a prostitute named Roxanne. BTW - has anyone ever met a provider named Roxanne??????

I actually never heard of “The Smiths.” So, after my attention was alerted to them by this thread, I listened to their music. I didn’t quite get what makes them great. I respect others’ opinions and to each his own.

But, musically, I just never could listen to anything post the late 70’s, and commencing with The British Invasion.

I mean, with few exceptions, of course, with respect to the second wave of rock, where the younger generation held true to the principles of the 60’s and 70’s and blessed it with their own style and personality.

So, the 80’s and 90’s still reverberated with some of the spirit of the heyday of rock & roll.

I saved my kids’ lives by indoctrinating them into old school rock early in their lives, before they could be hijacked by the music of their generation.

I actually never heard of “The Smiths.” So, after my attention was alerted to them by this thread, I listened to their music. I didn’t quite get what makes them great. I respect others’ opinions and to each his own.

But, musically, I just never could listen to anything post the late 70’s, and commencing with The British Invasion.

I mean, with few exceptions, of course, with respect to the second wave of rock, where the younger generation held true to the principles of the 60’s and 70’s and blessed it with their own style and personality.

So, the 80’s and 90’s still reverberated with some of the spirit of the heyday of rock & roll.

I saved my kids’ lives by indoctrinating them into old school rock early in their lives, before they could be hijacked by the music of their generation.
A lot of great rock bands came out of the 90s. Pearl Jam, Alice n Chains and Nirvana to name a few.

I’ve been thinking about this and there really is no intersection between The Smiths and mongering and I’m not saying anyone suggested there is. But every time I see a new post here I keep thinking that our 1980s “younger selfs” would be ashamed of us for giving into our Freudian “Id” animalistic impulses. The Smiths and mongering go as well together as ketchup and cantaloupe. They should never be spoken of in the same sentence. The Smiths to me are erection killers and they were about “acting in” and at most staying home - being depressed, sexually frustrated, repressed, nihilistic and of course celibate. Not about “acting out” your sexual wants - no they were much more subtle about it - well except for the song “Some girls are bigger than others.” At least The Police (Sting) were honest about mongering and falling in love with a prostitute named Roxanne. BTW - has anyone ever met a provider named Roxanne??????
My younger self didn’t care what the words were. If the girl like the music I played it.

A lot of great rock bands came out of the 90s. Pearl Jam, Alice n Chains and Nirvana to name a few.
I do get what you are saying that there were some good bands, and I can add FooFighters, and even U2 and REM, still flourished in the 90’s, and truly some others.

But, they added to the body of work laid down by the huge upheaval and creative explosion of the 60’s and 70’s.

That early rock seemed to consume our culture. The radio had something to say via the music of the time, and it was mostly positive.

The hippies served up their own brand of social-change via the sound waves of your car radio.

Johnny.Marr

Unabashed Shill
My rock music introduction was in the late seventies - early eighties. The punk era. So I get mugi's love of sixties and seventies sounds since that was the basis for much of punk. Unfortunately, I was too young to experience it live and travel into NYC to see those bands perform at CBGB's and the other venues. Instead, I have to relive it through Youtube videos and the CBGB's recordings. But it also led me to discover the sounds that influenced those bands.

I was wowed when I found the "Nuggets" series of CD's that Lenny Kaye put together. The first 4-CD box set got me started. Those bands were amazing. Then I picked up the other CD's. I even got into vinyl 'cause some of the albums are only available on that format. You could say it was a 'psychotic reaction' on my part. What a time it must have been for anyone who lived through that era. Mugi, you are one fortunate son.

My rock music introduction was in the late seventies - early eighties. The punk era. So I get mugi's love of sixties and seventies sounds since that was the basis for much of punk. Unfortunately, I was too young to experience it live and travel into NYC to see those bands perform at CBGB's and the other venues. Instead, I have to relive it through Youtube videos and the CBGB's recordings. But it also led me to discover the sounds that influenced those bands.

I was wowed when I found the "Nuggets" series of CD's that Lenny Kaye put together. The first 4-CD box set got me started. Those bands were amazing. Then I picked up the other CD's. I even got into vinyl 'cause some of the albums are only available on that format. You could say it was a 'psychotic reaction' on my part. What a time it must have been for anyone who lived through that era. Mugi, you are one fortunate son.
The 70s was Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath for me.
then I saw Fear on Snl in the early 80s. holy shit
I loved the energy.

So punk, post punk / new wave, 90s alternative, metal, Southern Rock, blues, prog rock and old school Rap is my jam.

When I first heard the smiths, I was drawn into marrs guitar work. He’s no SRV, but it was different from what was out there.
WLIR played them all of the time. Bands like the smith’s the cure, new order, echo and the bunny men expanded my music taste.
Especially in the 80s when it was mostly commercial hair bands.
Cool now but hated them then. :)