The Smiths; and other musical favorites and opinions of aging mongers

billyS

Reign of Terror
Cool now but hated them then. :)
The hair bands?

Like Mugi I was weaned on the 60's and early 70's rock gods. So the hair bands were and still are a joke to me. Poison , Rat, Quiet Riot.

Instead I was also drawn to WLIR and the New wave sound. I always thought the Smiths had an interesting sound. I just remembered thinking they didn't get enough air play.
Loved Duran Duran, Echo and the Bunnymen and that whole sound.
But I was past the age of just sitting around with friends and zoning out to music, I was more concerned with making money so the extent of my listening to music was mostly confined to listening to WLIR on the car radio driving to and from work.
When all that died out and WLIR/WDARE became a Spanish radio station I switched to sports talk and listened to the @LISteve 's of the world bitch about the Yankees.

When I first heard the smiths, I was drawn into marrs guitar work. He’s no SRV, but it was different from what was out there.
WLIR played them all of the time. Bands like the smith’s the cure, new order, echo and the bunny men expanded my music taste.
Especially in the 80s when it was mostly commercial hair bands.
Cool now but hated them then. :)
You are quite eclectic and allow your musical tastes to evolve.

I find myself frozen in time, as far as music, to the 60’s and 70’s blossoming of rock and roll.

I do enjoy studying the evolution of a group or artist.

I find the evolution of the Beatles, and the individual member’s from year to year, album to album, to be a study and a journey unto itself that reflected their era, age, growth, and the quality of chemicals they indulged in during their careers. Their music had a strong impact on culture.

As well as Pink Floyd, even more so, settling into one of their albums was a catalyst to an emotional psychological journey.

I liked Led/Zep, but too much left me foggy and worn out.

The Moody Blues and Yes, Clapton, I felt a deep connection to.

Joe Cocker, Leon Russell, The Band, Ray Charles, early music of Neil Young were major influences. Beatles’ endorsed artists like Badfinger, ELO, Billy Preston…

But, out of that seemingly fathomless vortex of musical energy of the 60’s and 70’s was unleashed a plethora of artists with lesser fame like Croce, Chapin; far too many to name, and so many great black artists.

And that Woodstock generation created the free concert concept that acknowledged that the music was far more important than the money, and the music could be used as a focal point to bring world attention to a human need that required a deeper awareness.

77 in July. Ms. Harry was older than the rest of the band when they got started, iirc.

If all the boomer faves like Mick and Steve Tyler can do it, so can Deb.
She is actually only two years younger than Mick and three years older than Tyler.

But, when she hit the scene, she looked like she was 20 something and you just couldn’t take your eyes off of her.

For me it was the late 60’s/70’s, classic rock bands along the lines of .LedZep, Grand Funk, to name a couple. Lately, I’ve been listening to Neil Young, Boston . Steve Miller, Bob Seger-
The punk rock and rap evolution were just to much for me…

About 20 years ago I had an unexpected opportunity to have a beer with the lead singer of a household name group in his dressing room - He and I spent 20 minutes shooting the shit - I was in awe. One of the best 20 minutes of my life. Really… I then understood what it meant to be thought of as a groupie..

For me it was the late 60’s/70’s, classic rock bands along the lines of .LedZep, Grand Funk, to name a couple. Lately, I’ve been listening to Neil Young, Boston . Steve Miller, Bob Seger-
The punk rock and rap evolution were just to much for me…

About 20 years ago I had an unexpected opportunity to have a beer with the lead singer of a household name group in his dressing room - He and I spent 20 minutes shooting the shit - I was in awe. One of the best 20 minutes of my life. Really… I then understood what it meant to be thought of as a groupie..
I had a similar experience.

In a professional setting, I spent a lot of time, many days and many hours with a famous guitarist and songwriter of the 60’s, 70’s.

I walked into the situation not being forewarned, and was pleasantly surprised.

What floored me was that he was more common than mud. I hit him with a question like “what’s it like to be a guitar god?” He laughed and said “oh, is that what people call us?”

Extremely humble and pleasant and would rather discuss other matters.

I grew up listening to WNEW-FM in the 70’s, but the hype surrounding Springsteen’s Born To Run which was released as a single, quite a few months before the album dropped in September of ‘75, made me an obsessed fan and changed the way I processed music. By the time Born In the USA made him a megastar, my tastes shifted and could not stand that album.

pokler

Power Bottom
This thread peaked my interest so I watched a few vids of live performances. As someone who also made their living in the 80's playing in bands I would say the guitar player is average at best.

I grew up listening to WNEW-FM in the 70’s, but the hype surrounding Springsteen’s Born To Run which was released as a single, quite a few months before the album dropped in September of ‘75, made me an obsessed fan and changed the way I processed music. By the time Born In the USA made him a megastar, my tastes shifted and could not stand that album.
You are bringing back some unanalyzed childhood memories.

“Born to Run” emerged from the quagmire of a bloated music industry as real, honest, true, raw. It cut like a knife. It leaped out of the receding, yet still present remnants of the soon to be distant memory of the fast-fading hippie generation.

As a young teenager, it was far too cool and quite frankly a step or two above my innocence and maturity level, but I liked it, none the less.

At that point in his development and career, Springsteen’s predicted rise was thwarted by legal battles and he sunk back into a hiatus where I thought he might just have been a brief but powerful glimmer.

But, after that sabbatical, his pent-up static energy was refocused and he re-emerged as a mega star with vast popular appeal.

But, the music was more in your face and lacked that sense of raw, emerging mystery. The anticipation was over. He had arrived and his audience waited for him and they celebrated together. And, the guy put out.

Your moniker, Warren Zevon, (RIP) certainly was a noble soul, and put our some great honest music and legendary live shows.

Tom Petty (RIP) and his gang, kept it real, played A++ classic rock.

Bob Seger is a living legend.

“Born to Run” emerged from the quagmire of a bloated music industry, as real, honest, true, raw. It cut like a knife. It leaped out of the receding, yet still present remnants of the soon to be distant memory of the fast-fading hippie generation.

As a young teenager, in 1975, Springsteen was far too cool and quite frankly a step or two above my innocence and maturity level, but I liked it, none the less, and knew that he was saying something quite relevant for the time. I just wasn’t ready for it.

At that point in his development and career, Springsteen’s predicted rise was thwarted by legal battles and he sank back into a dormancy, where I thought that he might just have just been a brief but powerful glimmer, a flash in the pan.

But, after that sabbatical, his pent-up static energy was refocused and he re-emerged as a mega star with vast popular appeal.

But, his new music was more commercial, open and popular, fan-gathering, and lacked that sense of raw, emerging mystery of his former self. The anticipation was over. He had arrived and his audience waited for him and they celebrated together. And, the guy put out.

Your moniker, Warren Zevon, (RIP) certainly was a noble soul, and put out some great honest music and legendary live shows.

Tom Petty (RIP) and his gang, kept it real, played A++ classic rock.

Bob Seger is a living legend.

“Born to Run” emerged from the quagmire of a bloated music industry, as real, honest, true, raw. It cut like a knife. It leaped out of the receding, yet still present remnants of the soon to be distant memory of the fast-fading hippie generation.

As a young teenager, in 1975, Springsteen was far too cool and quite frankly a step or two above my innocence and maturity level, but I liked it, none the less, and knew that he was saying something quite relevant for the time. I just wasn’t ready for it.

At that point in his development and career, Springsteen’s predicted rise was thwarted by legal battles and he sank back into a dormancy, where I thought that he might just have just been a brief but powerful glimmer, a flash in the pan.

But, his new music was more commercial, open and popular, fan-gathering, and lacked that sense of raw, emerging mystery of his former self. The anticipation was over. He had arrived and his audience waited for him and they celebrated together. And, the guy put out.
The pressure on Springsteen to deliver in ‘75 was enormous. Had Born to Run failed, his recording contract would not have not have been renewed. Bruce was on the cover of Time and Newsweek the same week in September so the hype hit a fever pitch. Most critics loved the album, some hated it. But non-stop touring from 1975 through 1977 increased his fan base as he dealt with his law suit with his former manager for the copyrights to his music. When the suit was settled, the Boss and E Streeters headed back to the studio to record Darkness on The Edge of Town, followed by The River cementing his legacy.

The pressure on Springsteen to deliver in ‘75 was enormous. Had Born to Run failed, his recording contract would not have not have been renewed. Bruce was on the cover of Time and Newsweek the same week in September so the hype hit a fever pitch. Most critics loved the album, some hated it. But non-stop touring from 1975 through 1977 increased his fan base as he dealt with his law suit with his former manager for the copyrights to his music. When the suit was settled, the Boss and E Streeters headed back to the studio to record Darkness on The Edge of Town, followed by The River cementing his legacy.
Thank you for the clarification.

Somehow I never was pulled into his aura. despite his mass appeal.

Never even bought a record or tape, despite belonging to the Columbia Record Club America, where you received 10 albums or tapes for $1.00, if you agreed to purchase one record or tape per month for the next 12 months.

He just never made it into my record collection, but his fame was blatant.

Never even bought a record or tape, despite belonging to the Columbia Record Club America, where you received 10 albums or tapes for $1.00, if you agreed to purchase one record or tape per month for the next 12 months.

He just never made it into my record collection, but his fame was blatant.
With all of the record stores in nyc you were a crca member

Funny, if I could take only one album with me when I leave this earth, it would be Born to Run without any hesitation.

Johnny.Marr

Unabashed Shill
This thread peaked my interest so I watched a few vids of live performances. As someone who also made their living in the 80's playing in bands I would say the guitar player is average at best.
Maybe you're not listening to the right songs. Check out this article and look at the comments about Marr's guitar work. Their first single "Hand In Glove" is what hooked me on the band and it was precisely Marr's guitar sound that did it.

https://www.billboard.com/music/rock/the-smiths-songs-best-hits-list-7964682/

pokler

Power Bottom