The Best Ever!!!

pswope

One out of three
After seeing the growth rapidity of this thread,could you imagine the ratings WFAN would get if they had a show mixing whoring with baseball.

(They could call it Hos and Throws ,though I'm sure you clever guys will come up with a better title).

(Can't you hear Eli from Westchester saying that Vanity from Atlanta was much better than Paulina but never got proper respect because she was black)

steve garvey once went a whole season without an error.... he was very far from a great fielder (ala hernandez)

thats a very misleading stat... ozzie smith used to make a ton of errors. certain guys make errors on balls that others would never have reached. yount had way more range than ripkin.

Oz: anectdotally, I recall a story from the Summer of '48 in which Mantle is playing Left or Right and the ball is hit in the gap. He races over, frantically trying to make what will likely be a diving grab, only to hear a whisper from DiMaggio, who had glided in behind him. "I've got it."

Mays is great. I'll still take Ruth, DiMaggio, Williams over Mays and Musial, but it's a helluva good debate.

Ted Williams couldn't field, run, or play fundamental baseball to save his life. he could hit and thats it. He was the prototypical DH.

btw... i forget the year but the sox were in a battle for first place on the last day of the season and only needed a run to tie and two runs to win in the bottom of the 9th.....

Ted Williams stepped to the plate with bases loaded and one out. he blew off a sign from the 3rd base coach to hit and run and go to left field with a shift on (3 infielders between first and second base). Williams the ego maniac he was had to swing for the right field fence and simply grounded into a DP to the second basemen 4-6-3 to end the game and their season.

so much for a redsox pennant.

intangibles, intangibles, intangibles..... i can't stress that enough.

Last edited:
OK, Williams may have been a crappy fielder. I never saw him play. I only get historical footage.

BUT....

What a friggin' hitter.

.344 lifetime BA (7th all time). 521 home runs, 790 Ks. On base percentage of .481 (all time best), slugging percentage .682, #2.

Keep in mind that he missed 5 full seasons in the peak of his career due to service in the armed forces. Now, I know I'm entering the "what if" territory, but I consider this much more legit than the "what if" arguments about today's pitching, etc.... But what if we gave Williams his average of 37 home runs a season for those 5 years? We're talking more than 700. Ruthian (though Ruth arguably would've hit more had he not been a pitcher in his early career.) Tack on an extra 1,000 hits, too. Plus, he may have pulled up that average significantly, as he did hit .406 two years before one of his war breaks.

Prototypical DH? How about DREAM DH. But then, my list doesn't include a DH.

i said williams was the greatest hitter bar none.... now just imagine how much higher he would hit had he used the whole field and just went the other way a few times to an empty left field. williams claims he hit to left field no more than 20 times during his career and that he hit the "green monster" 5 times and one HR over the monster.

i thought of brett and schmidt but most of their best playing days were before 86'. i think schmidt retired in '88 and brett in 92-93? and those last few years brett was a shadow of his former self.

Last edited:
At last, a subject I can flex my muscle on. All through high school, I studied/planned to be a sabermetrician (and, here's my first audacious statement: if you don't know what that is, you probably shouldn't be posting in this thread) ;)
Like most of you, I never saw many of these players live, but I've seen tape, and read accounts, and played most of them in COUNTLESS Strat-O-Matic games.
I agree it's more logical to separate players by era, but an all-time list is supposed to be just that. You just need to take the eras into account.
I didn't consider Negro league players - too little scientific info to work with, and too much anecdotal stuff. It's very probable that these players were great, but you can't compare based on folklore passed down. Plus, if we take Josh Gibson, don't we also have to take Sadaharu Oh?
Also, I didn't deal with pre-1900 players - otherwise, Cap Anson, George Davis, Billy Hamilton and Willie Keeler would've been considered. Hell, those guys counted BB as hits.. ;)
You also have to consider what you're measuring - peak value or career value. I tried to consider both.
C: Johnny Bench - cannon for an arm, and hit for power. All the "greats" before him did 2 of 3 as well (defense, average, power), but no one compared two for as long as Bench did. He was the foundation of a number of World Series teams…
Runner up: Roy Campanella - who knows what could've been.
Irod - hell…if he could stay healthy, he would BE #1 - I mean, damn, reinvented the position defensively; AND hit for average, AND hit for power, AND stole bases…but you only get 90-110 games a year…
Can't consider: Piazza. Yeah, he hits well, but he only gets the attention BECAUSE he's a catcher. Put him at 1B, and he's the third best in the NL alone…And, you simply cannot ignore all the liability he brings to the position.
1B: Lou Gehrig - ok…only average to slightly above average defensively, but you can't ignore the stats. Plus, Ruth had Gehrig behind him, so there were more pitches to hit - who did Gehrig have behind him? Lazzeri? Meusel? Combs?
Runner up: Jimmie Foxx…and who did HE have hitting behind him? Stats are comparable to Gehrig's - but Gehrig has a few more championships ;)
2B: Rogers Hornsby - yes, average defensively, but still the yardstick by which all 2B (hell, maybe even middle-infielders) are gauged. Arod may hit 40 homers - until he hits .400, he's not Hornsby…
Runner up: Nap Lajoie - a gifted fielder who was also a great hitter (for avg), and/or Ryne Sandberg. I think years from now we'll realize how special Sandberg was - like John Stockton in the NBA (one announcer once said Stockton could've averaged 25 points per game, but he chose to play the way he did, because it would result in more wins…) Sandberg, also, could do anything - great fielder, maybe the best ever. Hit for average. Hit 40 homers. Stole 40 bases.
3B: Mike Schmidt - this is tough. But, I have to give Schmidt the advantage over Mathews (or anyone else). Hitting may be close; but ultimately, Schmidt was a good to great fielder as well - and that makes the difference. Honestly, I may even rate Santo over Mathews.
SS: Honus Wagner - no one compares. Did everything well - average, speed, power (for the time), great defense. Embodied everything that the early century players stood for.
Runner up: Gotta go with Ripken here. People can make their cases for Banks and/or Yount - they played nearly as many games at other positions as they did at SS. Ripken and Yount were close defensively, and Ripken's stats as a SS were better than Yount's offensively.
OF: If you do the three best, period - it's easy: Ruth, Cobb, Mays. But, if you decide to do it position by position:
RF: Ruth or Cobb. Cobb or Ruth…Depends on what you value. For me, I'd take Cobb; but I have no problem with people who select Ruth. Neither was great defensively, and they represented the BEST of each game, when they conflicted in the early 20s.
To me, it comes down to this: One day, Cobb was getting hassled by some reporters on the great job Ruth was doing, hitting homers. Cobb said, "OK, today, and ONLY today, I'm going to play his game, so you can see it's not that hard to do." Went out, and in a double header, hit 5 homers - a record that still stands today (been tied a lot, but no one has ever hit 6 homers in 2 games). He came back after the game, and told the reporters, "See? Anyone can hit a homerun. Now I won't try anymore." And he didn't hit another homer the rest of the year.
CF: Willie Mays. Second greatest defensive outfielder of all time (second audacious statement: Andruw Jones will end his career as the greatest defensive outfielder ever. Remember - Mays played in the Polo Grounds - deep, cavernous park. Today, fences are closer - fly balls Mays would've caught are home runs today. That makes Jones' range factor all the more amazing. One year, he will break the record for putouts by an outfielder, and that too is amazing).
Runner up: Mantle or Dimaggio - pick 'em
LF: Barry Bonds - blasphemous as it is. Musial was solid, very solid - and I won't even hold all the games he played at 1B against him. But Musial hit for a higher average and more 2B and 3B (in bigger parks) - Bonds hits more HR in smaller parks - that's a draw. So, what does Musial bring that Bonds doesn't? Less strikeouts - in fact, the difference in their strikeouts is greater than the difference in their TOTAL outs (Ozzy is right - a strikeout serves NO purpose, since runners cannot advance). But, what does Bonds bring that Musial doesn't? a GREAT OBP with tons of BB; speed; and a gold glove fielder (sorry, Musial was NEVER known for his fielding…)
Rickey Henderson? Sorry - no credit goes to someone who should've retired years ago, but sticks around to break records: Last 3 seasons for Ty Cobb? .339, .357, .323 and 36 steals. Last 3 seasons for Rickey? .315, .230, .227 and 98 steals. Rickey has lost his value…
Relief: I can't even come up with someone - too new; too many possible candidates. Plus, with my starters, I don't need relievers ;)
LHP: Gotta go with Koufax - but, if he keeps it up, Randy Johnson will supplant him. Mimicked Koufax's career - from the wild beginning to the dominance at the end, but Randy may do it longer.
Carlton/Grove - get consideration for longevity; and each had ONE amazing season; but nothing to compare to the prolonged dominance of Koufax or Johnson.
RHP: Greg Maddux - no, he's not my #1 choice; but, realize, as dominant as Johnson has been; the last player to put together two years like Koufax, was Maddux. The difference is - Johnson and Koufax look overpowering. Maddux always looks hittable (and this year, he is!).
I'd have to go with Walter Johnson - maybe Mathewson and Alexander; add Maddux, and #5 - I guess Gibson, although, really, for the #5 spot, any number of players qualify: Feller, Marichal, Clemens, Palmer, Seaver.

Lemur

luigi

For the sins of his brothers
PSwope Your smarter than you think

P-Swope- I quess I can announce that I will be doing something like ho's and throws, I will be participating on the Scott Ferral Show, WNEW/FM, 6-10 am, we will combine sports talk with chicks, will post when we begin (coming days)

I think you already know how smart you are
Luigi/Tom

Last edited:
Nolan Ryan. I know some guys are going to piss on this one, but I don't care. 5,714 strikeouts. Seven no-hitters. 12 one-hitters. Six seasons with more than 300 Ks. 27 seasons. Holds or shares 53 records.

I know the rap. No Cy Youngs. One WS appearance as a reliever with the '69 Mets. Mediocre lifetime winning percentage.

I don't buy it. He was the most dominating pitcher of his era, and one of the all-time greats.

Originally posted by occasionalhobbyist
Nolan Ryan. I know some guys are going to piss on this one, but I don't care. 5,714 strikeouts. Seven no-hitters. 12 one-hitters. Six seasons with more than 300 Ks. 27 seasons. Holds or shares 53 records.

I know the rap. No Cy Youngs. One WS appearance as a reliever with the '69 Mets. Mediocre lifetime winning percentage.

I don't buy it. He was the most dominating pitcher of his era, and one of the all-time greats.
No..I really thought long and hard about him...but, to me...it had less to do with his win %...more to do with ERA...

I don't think he's the #1 choice; but he's definitely someone I'd consider with my above choices to round out my top 5 above...

Lemur

The only reason I put Pee Wee Reese is because I consider the SS nowadays to be misplaced third baseman.

I'll take Scooter/Reese....I didn't think about Ripken.

See, baseball is still the nat'l pastime..you can't do this with football.

"Hey wait...the all time best right tackle is..."

i was gonna put ryan on my no-name list but he did manage one vote. problem with ryan was that he was a typical pig headed texan (sorry JM), he refused to throw a 75 mph curveball. he had to trow it 90. it never broke and he paid dearly for it through-out his career. he's a lot better than most of the pitchers listed in this thread though.

Lemur... i agree with pretty much everything you said..... Strat-O-Matic !!!!! if they had just made the legends cards advanced like they did the players of the late 70's early 80's (the two sided cards?)... i'd be playing it now. remember the cards that had unreal stats... ie the 1979 john lowenstien against RHP was unbelievable.... 2-4 - 2-10 were homeruns. 1-5 - 1-10 was all hits and doubles and 3-4 - 3-10 were walks. the only way to get him out against rhp was to roll on the pitchers card. my friends and i used to nag one of our parents to drive out to glen-head LI (home of strat-o-matic) just to go and get the new cards a month before they were released to the public. you might say we were junkies at 12 or 13 yrs old.

i thought of cap anson and Nap Lajoie but as you said... they counted BB's as hits and played almost bare handed in the field. also pitchers pitched every day or every other day without rest (how do you think Cy Young won 511 games?).

when Sadaharu Oh plays in a stadium with a fence deeper than 270 down the line... i'll respect him.

Roy Campanella... i'm glad someone besides me remembered him. though if you only count the games bench caught, he didn't play that much more. i could have gone either way but 1) as you said campy redefined the pos and 2) i had to be different.

Ryne Sandberg.. if he'd played longer instead of quitting in his prime (the first time)... he'd have put up some huge numbers as baseball expanded and pitching decreased and balls got livelier... especially had he stayed in chicago.

Honus Wagner ... better than yount but he played so long ago and it's hard to judge what some of these guys would have done against even slightly more modern pitching (against the curve ball post 1920 or so). the same could be said of cobb except for the true story you spoke of.... (anyone can hit a HR). so cobb is my exception.

but.... musial was known for a strong arm and his hitting over shadowed his fielding. they was an award that was voted by the players and i think the mangrs as well for fielding, and he won it several years in a row. i have to search the 'sporting news' archives for an article about musial's fielding cause thats where i read it.

i gotta stick with musial over anyone but mays. i have them 1 & 2 overall. if musial ran like mays it wouldn't be close with bonds... although to me it's not that close at all. I HATE BARRY DOG SHIT! thats what i call him everytime he strikes out with men on base or in the playoffs. i'd like to see his homeruns by inning, with men and bases empty. barry's walks are a result of substandard pitching that would rather wlk him than pitch to him.... (i thought pitching won 70% of the time... why are they walking him)

this says it all about barry.... 97 at bats... 1 HR, 6 RBI, 20 SO, .196 AVG.

Postseason Batting Stats

Year Team G AB R H D T HR RB BB SO SB OBP SLG AVG
1990 PIT 6 14 4 3 0 0 0 1 6 5 2 .375 .167 .167
1991 PIT 7 27 1 4 1 0 0 0 2 4 3 .207 .185 .148
1992 PIT 7 23 5 6 1 0 1 2 6 4 1 .433 .435 .261
1997 SF 3 12 0 3 2 0 0 2 0 3 1 .231 .417 .250
2000 SF 4 17 2 3 1 1 0 1 3 4 1 .300 .353 .176

TOTALS
R H D T HR RBI BB SO SB OBP SLG AVG
12 19 5 1 1 6 17 20 8 .319 .299 .196

Santo? he's at least 150 HR's behind mathews and struck out a ton. played on the good cubs teams that couldn't win (with Billy Williams, Don Kessinger, Randy Hundley, Ernie Banks, Ken Holtzman, Fergie Jenkins) (how did they not win anything?)............................eh!

Last edited: