R. I. P.

It's totally amazing the Arizona still has a steady oil leak going on 83 years now.
The bad luck was that the ship was refueled just 1 day before the attack and contained 1.5M gallons of fuel oil. A lot, maybe 2/3 of that oil, burned before it sunk. Estimates are that there are still 500K gallons left. Leaking a half gallon a day I calculate (assuming same leak rate) that it will leak until the year 4761 although given salt water corrosion of the structures holding the oil it will most certainly be gone before that.

RIP Lou Conter

Peter Higgs, who came up with the idea of the Higgs boson particle, has died aged 94.

In 1964, he proposed a theory of how particles acquired mass that depended on the particle that would eventually take his name. It suggested that all of physics depended on a special kind of particle – the Higgs boson – that was required to make the universe exist but which had not at that point been discovered.

Almost 50 years later, Cern’s Large Hadron Collider found evidence of the Higgs particle, confirming the Standard Model of physics and Higgs’ work. That led to him receiving the Nobel prize a year later, sharing it with Francois Englert, another physicist who proposed the same theory at the same time, independently of Higgs’ work

Speaking only for his play on the field, (keeping it respectful) I used to go to Shea Stadium when he played the Jets.

Jeez, the man could run like a gazelle. An absolutely scintillating tail back with mesmerizing cuts, blinding speed, power, endurance.

Being a Jet fan lost all importance, because watching the man glide was absolutely thrilling.

In 2007, Simpson was arrested in Las Vegas, Nevada, and charged with armed robbery and kidnapping. In 2008, he was convicted and sentenced to 33 years' imprisonment, with a minimum of nine years without parole. He served his sentence at the Lovelock Correctional Center near Lovelock, Nevada.
Poor guy did 9 years!

Like Sidney Poitier (died 2022) Simpson died of prostate cancer. Turns out prostate cancer in Black men has a different genetic profile—the mutations they have are different. It's a more aggressive cancer and blacks diagnosed with low-grade prostate cancer have 2X the mortality rate of whites. Because low-grade prostate cancer has more aggressive features in African Americans, many physicians have questioned whether active surveillance is an appropriate option for them.

Like Sidney Poitier (died 2022) Simpson died of prostate cancer. Turns out prostate cancer in Black men has a different genetic profile—the mutations they have are different. It's a more aggressive cancer and blacks diagnosed with low-grade prostate cancer have 2X the mortality rate of whites. Because low-grade prostate cancer has more aggressive features in African Americans, many physicians have questioned whether active surveillance is an appropriate option for them.
Very interesting. Typically, prostate cancer is something very treatable if caught early. I was wondering if he just completely ignored it. Than you for that information.