R. I. P.

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
Im going to snatch( dont get excited) a little bandwidth for a thread that will introduce a new dead guy or girl of note every week. Fell free to contribute or ignore. I will be choosing one DG per week to honor.

Week of December 31:
Jan 4
Freddy Heinekin, brewer 78

HP

Last edited:
In respect to Dave Thomas

Dave's personal story has given me strength on occasion to move forward when the bastards have been calling for my head.

From his birth and until his death, he didn't let some difficult childhood stuff stand in his way. He was honest, benevolent to charities established to assist adoption, and donated a significant sum of money in quiet ways.

One such donation was to Duke University, where he donated a significant sum of money to the Fuqua-Varina School of Business where the Thomas Center was built. It houses those who travel into Durham on weekends to pursue an E-MBA. This generosity came from a man who never graduated from high school let alone college. Of interest, is that just a few short miles away is the Medical Center at Duke where a significant thrust of activity is focused on treating people with food addictions.

The newslines are taking about the man who built Wendy's, something that we can all identify with.

In my eye, he was far bigger than his business empire. He was a man who cared about those looking to be cared for.

His burgers were square because he didn't believe in cutting corners.

Having a Dead Guy list, or a Dead Girl list, can be lots of fun. Maybe from time to time we can underscore what the person in passing has done for his fellow brothers and sisters to make this place a better world. (compared to Howard Stern having a Pool to see who dies first....)

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
Re: Next week's nominee...

Originally posted by marc
Hotpuppy... may i nominate Osama bin Laden for next week's honoree???
Sure, but its sort of tired, calling for his demise, I mean its a given.
take care
HP

Hotpuppy

Mr.Butterworth
OETT,
Well said.
My comment about whether he ate at Wendy's( apparently he did), was not meant to disrespect him- just that a diet of fast food burgers will do nothing to extend ones life. Dave did get his high school diploma as an adult. Bravo, Dave for a life well lived.
take care
HP

Originally posted by Hotpuppy
OETT,
Well said.
My comment about whether he ate at Wendy's( apparently he did), was not meant to disrespect him- just that a diet of fast food burgers will do nothing to extend ones life. Dave did get his high school diploma as an adult. Bravo, Dave for a life well lived.
take care
HP
Wasn't focusing on your comments. I'm sure he had his share of meals at the business, and who knows what was the cause of his liver cancer. Maybe the 'mystery meat' at KFC.

I saw on the news tonite that Dave Thomas learned the biz from Colonel Sanders.
He started out by owning several KFC outlets. He sold them to finance his new business (Wendy's).
He owned 6000+ Wendy restaurants when he died.

Dave Thomas - A class act

After the shooting at the Wendy's in Flushing, the store was closed down. (It is now a small shop mall.)

Thomas came to the memorial service at the Botanical gardens.

Still no Wendy's near one of the busiest corners in New York.

One of the good guys.

Woody