R. I. P.

Bob Moore, 94 founder of Bob’s Red Mill

For those of you who enjoy whole grain foods such as steel cut oats, ground flaxseed, nutritional yeast and ground oat bran as I do, you may have come across Bob’s Red Mill products in their characteristic zip lock packages. (those of you, like me, who rarely eat meat should well use nutritional yeast to get B12, plus a cheesy flavor when added to fresh salads ).

Anyway, this interesting character produced the best of such products. He never sold out his profitable business and began transferring it to employees thru an employee stock ownership plan starting in 2010 when he turned 81. He drove to work until recently in his 1931 Ford Model A (he had 2 of them).

As the saying goes, “when life hands you lemons make lemonade”, during the Covid shutdown causing an interest in home baking, his business exploded in size.

One thing I found really interesting is that he decided to learn Hebrew and Greek so he could read the bible in its original text.
Quite a character.

He's looked awful the past few years on Curb Your Enthusiasm
Yes, the poor guy hasn’t looked well for a long time. Probably the alcoholic years didn’t serve his health well.

There was even that episode in “Curb Your Enthusiasm” where he needed a kidney from the donor, Larry. They played off of his obvious poor health condition.

And, in reality, in 2004, he did actually receive a life-saving kidney from his sister and underwent a successful kidney transplant surgery.

Lewis said he got sober in August 1994, after a near-death experience that landed him in the hospital.

But, his brand of eccentric, complex, and self-deprecating humor was pretty funny and he worked off of Larry David really well in “Curb Your Enthusiasm.”

His earlier work in the 80’s was also enjoyable, when he appeared healthy, robust, stylish and handsome. Had a very personable wit about him.

He actually was born on the same day as Larry David, in the same hospital, July 2nd, 1947, in Brooklyn, Brooklyn Jewish Hospital.

Godspeed.

Steve Lawrence died at 88 years due to complications from Alzheimer's disease. Lawrence was born in Brooklyn and enjoyed decades of success as one half of the iconic singing duo Steve & Eydie. He met his future wife, singer Eydie Gorme, on Steve Allen's Tonight Show where they were both regulars and in 1957 they made their singing partnership even more official by marrying in Las Vegas.