Privacy rights: a slippery slope...

Hell, at the risk of hi-jacking a thread (when I don't even know where the hell its going anyway), Phantom, why follow women around the board making lttle comments designed to draw their attention. Does it to HVB, Cat, NYV, etc. WTF?

At the risk of attacking the poster and not the post, it all seems very kindergarten (well, actually, a kindergarten within a kindergarten).

Two problems with london - weather and class distinctions are both oppressive. Other than that, great town (although its hard to dig british women - its a good thing they have a lot of foreigners running around).

NOYL

Poster Child for Birth Control (ironic, no?)
Originally posted by Confused
...why follow women around the board making lttle comments designed to draw their attention. Does it to HVB, Cat, NYV, etc....
Like I'm the only one who does that. Seems you have a problem with me doing it and not others.

Two problems with london - weather and class distinctions are both oppressive.
i like the weather in london -- it's good for the skin. as for class distinctions, i hardly think the french are more democratic.

my problem with london is 2-fold. first, the food (although, while everyone know the indian is great; i love the chinese there as well), but how can a country so close to France serve such bad food*; and 2) i have a problem with the elgin marbles (although i do appreciate that that little heist has preserved them another century or 4).

*things may have changed, i haven't been there in a decade.

(hey could you take a look in the great books thread? i assume you know that author.)

Last edited:
Originally posted by NOYL
Like I'm the only one who does that. Seems you have a problem with me doing it and not others.
Channeling all jewish mothers:

So, if everyone jumped off the brooklyn bridge, would you do it also?

Actually, I should have been more clear. I notice that you follow women around this board and make SNIDE comments. Granted, guys follow around providers and throw fluffballs, but why do you follow women around the board and make snide comments? Not an attack, just curious?

HVB, I didn't recognize the authors name but am intrigued by the review. I'll take a closer look manana.

I love London (and the UK countryside).
Fish & chips and bangers & mash and scotch eggs and steak & kidney pie, yummy pub grub.
For the carnivore in you, try the game too (hung til it begins to "loosen up"), with a side of carmelized root veggies.
Best bitters and brew this side of Belgium.
Tea good enough to make you forget about Starschmucks.
And ethnic food from around the world.
(but bloody expensive)
(and you gotta love those phone box gals)

i love tea. i don't like pub food except for bubble and squeak. also, london is very big. paris is very small like manhattan.

also con, noyl can gripe all he wants. he has good points sometimes. but sometimes he's just onery.

(hey, i might even learn to knit, what with my being confined to quarters with a nasty throat thing.)

Last edited:
Yeah, ornery is a good word. I used to use it to describe an x-gf.

As for food, if you have money in your pockets you can dine nearly as well as you would in NYC, it'll just cost you more.

Favorite restaurant in London, without a doubt - Momo's.

Great upscale morrocan place (in terms of decor), great vibe, music, women, decent service, and very, very reasonable. Has a vibe a bit like our Chez-es-Saada but is more lively, doesn't have a pretentious menu, and has larger portions.

http://www.momoresto.com/Home/restaurant.aspx

I wish they had one here.

i think "nearly as well" is the operative phrase there. (and as i said it's been a decade and i think it's probably been a big food decade for london). whatever, i still like the city, but i wouldn't want to live there.

re: being sucked in to disclose. first of all, sorry; second of all, so easy isn't it?

actually london, paris and florence all have a section of my favorite painting by paolo ucello -- the battle of san romano. i was even less inclined to go there the first time i did, but i had to. i travel to see art first. (athough this seems to be changing as is everything else midlife).

Last edited:
Originally posted by h. von bingen

re: being sucked in to disclose. first of all, sorry; second of all, so easy isn't it?

Appreciate the apology. Its scary how easy it is. I wonder who it will happen to next.

JL always seems to be so above that kind of petty shit. (and is always so careful of saying anything that would out him)

JL always seems to be so above that kind of petty shit. (and is always so careful of saying anything that would out him)
irl i am EXCELLENT at getting people to tell me intimate details of their lives and quickly. i think it's cause i am genuinely interested.

there have been a couple of times where jl has let go and had to delete a few things -- occassionally with another person's cooperation. he's studied but not so studied. i think there are more oblique posters. also, jl spends hours, 10s of hours, 100s of hours talking to strippers, he's engaging in some kind of petty shit. maybe he is too TIRED to engage in other petty shit.