NHL Hockey

I think that is why they traded Montoya. Rangers can beat any of the teams in the conference. None of those teams scare me. Rangers are going to the finals.

Gavy, I was at the Garden yesterday for the Ranger Bruin game. You had mentioned that you took you daughter to her first game. well it gets better. We took my daughter and her three best friends to the City and to Lunch and then the Ranger game for her 16 Birthday. She is such a Ranger fan( I brought my kids up correctly) that this is what she wanted. No day spa, salon, party, she wanted a Ranger game. Also we are taking her to the Island of St. Johns, next week as part of the gift.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
As an independent observer...

A few things about last nights game at the Coliseum:

1. I got there mid-way through the second, but how the Rangers only scored 3 goals against the AHL lineup the Islanders countered with is beyond me.

2. Lundquist is DiPietro's equal. Both are solid goaltenders. My point is: YOU NEVER DRAFT A GOALIE IN THE FIRST ROUND! Lundquist went in the 4th and is every bit as good as DiPietro. Neither one should have been drafted in the first round.

3. Lundquist looks like Mark Fitzpatrick on the glove side. He can't catch any puck with his glove. Drops everything. Anyone standing in front is going to have a field day in the playoffs trying to exploit this.

4. Fighting should be embraced by the NHL.

5. There are way too many European players on the Rangers to go far in the playoffs.

Gavy

Friendly war of words.

A few things about last nights game at the Coliseum:

1. I got there mid-way through the second, but how the Rangers only scored 3 goals against the AHL lineup the Islanders countered with is beyond me.

2. Lundquist is DiPietro's equal. Both are solid goaltenders. My point is: YOU NEVER DRAFT A GOALIE IN THE FIRST ROUND! Lundquist went in the 4th and is every bit as good as DiPietro. Neither one should have been drafted in the first round.

3. Lundquist looks like Mark Fitzpatrick on the glove side. He can't catch any puck with his glove. Drops everything. Anyone standing in front is going to have a field day in the playoffs trying to exploit this.

4. Fighting should be embraced by the NHL.

5. There are way too many European players on the Rangers to go far in the playoffs.

Gavy
Gavy, Gavy, Gavy. I agree that you don't draft Goalies in the 1st round. I believe that the Islanders drafted like maybe 4 goalies in the first round in the last 7 or 8 yrs. Maybe 3 goalies. Lundquist is more like Patrick Roy. ( Hopefully ) They can and will go far into the playoff. Lundquist will step up and play great. Jagr is getting hot and will be different in these playoff. I agree with the fighting aspect. Plus, Gavy, Islander sell out only when the play the Rangers so they really do not have any home ice advantage during the year. I do not care about the europeans on the team. If they can play, that is all I care about. I think you need a good mix. As far as the scoring of only 3 goals, They took it easy on them. Plus, I do think that Dubie is pretty good. Any time that I see him play, he is solid. Even when he loses, he just has no help. Don't you with that you had Ryan Smyth or those draft picks, Now. One more thing. As far as you getting there mid way through the second, It is hard to watch the Islanders for 3 full periods.

Last edited:

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
It's been hard to watch the Islanders for any length of time for years.

~ Lundquist not having a glove hand is going to come back to haunt him, though.

~ Jagr is a European who went on record saying he wants to end his career in Russia or in some other European country. Not what you want to hear from the capitan right as you are going into the playoffs.

~ Wade Dubeliwicz is a minor league goalie. Fan favorite, yes, but a minor leaguer.

~ The Islanders had 6 #6 defensemen on the ice last night. We just have to root for the Blues to win their last game and see what happens in the lottery.

Gavy

It's been hard to watch the Islanders for any length of time for years.

~ Lundquist not having a glove hand is going to come back to haunt him, though.

~ Jagr is a European who went on record saying he wants to end his career in Russia or in some other European country. Not what you want to hear from the capitan right as you are going into the playoffs.

~ Wade Dubeliwicz is a minor league goalie. Fan favorite, yes, but a minor leaguer.

~ The Islanders had 6 #6 defensemen on the ice last night. We just have to root for the Blues to win their last game and see what happens in the lottery.

Gavy
Dubie was great tonight. Do the fans like him better than DP? Remember Gavy, Isn't their a saying that you always return to your roots. Well, you started out as a kid, rooting for the Rangers. So, It is just a matter of time. You might as well start with the playoffs. By, the way, I will root for you to have the Islanders get the best draft selection possible. I do want my friends to have a team and players to root for. I do really like their coach.

Last edited:

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Dubie was great tonight. Do the fans like him better than DP?
Dubeliwicz is a fan favotite. He's the type of guy that nobody gave a chance to...the "everyman". DiPietro? I think the teenage fans like him, perhaps the people that don't realize that Loungo was moved to bring him in. DiPietro is arrogant and always pointing the finger in the press. He never turns it on himself. Is he a good goalie? Yes, but he was not worth the price and time waiting for him. I would say most fans are 50-50 with him.

lightweight said:
Remember Gavy, Isn't their a saying that you always return to your roots. Well, you started out as a kid, rooting for the Rangers. So, It is just a matter of time.
I am a year younger than the Islanders and grew up with season tickets to them. I never rooted for the Rangers. My old man started going to the Garden in 1950. He came back from Vietnam in 1968 and moved to Long Island. He went to a few Ducks games. When the Islanders moved in his backyard, he immediately became an Islander fan.

lightweight said:
I do really like their coach.
All the rumors pointing to him as being a GM-killer look like they have some merit. A lot of gossip behind the scenes that Nolan is bad mouthing Snow "off record" at the drop of a hat.

Gavy

Dubeliwicz is a fan favotite. He's the type of guy that nobody gave a chance to...the "everyman". DiPietro? I think the teenage fans like him, perhaps the people that don't realize that Loungo was moved to bring him in. DiPietro is arrogant and always pointing the finger in the press. He never turns it on himself. Is he a good goalie? Yes, but he was not worth the price and time waiting for him. I would say most fans are 50-50 with him.

I am a year younger than the Islanders and grew up with season tickets to them. I never rooted for the Rangers. My old man started going to the Garden in 1950. He came back from Vietnam in 1968 and moved to Long Island. He went to a few Ducks games. When the Islanders moved in his backyard, he immediately became an Islander fan.

All the rumors pointing to him as being a GM-killer look like they have some merit. A lot of gossip behind the scenes that Nolan is bad mouthing Snow "off record" at the drop of a hat.

Gavy
Gavy, my fault. I thought that you had stated a while back, that you were a Ranger fan, growing up. I was wrong then. I rather have Nolan than Snow. Do you remember why Nolan was blackballed from Hockey for so long? He supposedly slept with Hasek's wife when they were both with the Sabres. There were a lot of rumors about that and I believe it because, any time that it was even nearly mentioned, there was always the no comment, or I can't talk about that. DP does think that he is better than everyone eles. I agree, Dubie, is pretty good. He is a little like the Ranger back up Vallequette. All of the Islander fans used to love him and still think that he never really got a fair shot with the Islanders. Tomorrow, is a big game for the Rangers. If they win, in regulation, they play the Devils with us getting home ice. I think they will beat the Devils but I always say that Broduer is the best that I have ever seen.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Brodeur is the best I have ever seen. (I was never a huge Roy fan).

It's funny, is there a noticeable difference between Dubeliwicz and DiPietro? Good point. There really isn't. And, yes, Big Valley didn't get the shot on the Island when he should have.

As for Nolan/Hasek rumors, I tend to think those are true too and for the same reasons you state.

Going back to Brodeur, though. It's hard to beat a team 7 straight times. Kind of what we were saying in the NFL playoffs re: Giants Cowboys. It's hard to beat a team 3 straight times. Brodeur is the best player onthe ice for both teams. Drury is the best forward and he is a proven performer. It should be an interesting series.

Gavy

Brodeur is the best I have ever seen. (I was never a huge Roy fan).

It's funny, is there a noticeable difference between Dubeliwicz and DiPietro? Good point. There really isn't. And, yes, Big Valley didn't get the shot on the Island when he should have.

As for Nolan/Hasek rumors, I tend to think those are true too and for the same reasons you state.

Going back to Brodeur, though. It's hard to beat a team 7 straight times. Kind of what we were saying in the NFL playoffs re: Giants Cowboys. It's hard to beat a team 3 straight times. Brodeur is the best player onthe ice for both teams. Drury is the best forward and he is a proven performer. It should be an interesting series.

Gavy
Wow, that's scary. I agree with everything that you said.