NHL Hockey

Penguins made a hell of a move today getting Marian Hossa. They're going for the cup today this year. Their goalie also stuffed the Isles today.
You are so right. that was a great trade. They are loaded. Rangers will get hot and go to the cup but if they stumble, the penguins will go to the cup finals.

Last edited:
I am feeling Montreal. They play a real solid game. It's them or the Pens from the Wales Conference. Out in the West? I don't know those teams...

If it is not the Rangers, then I agree, the Penguins. They are loaded up front. They will still need good Goalie play and solid Defense to go far, which I am not sure that they have. Gavy, you going to the next Ranger/ Islander game at the Coliseum?

I am feeling Montreal. They play a real solid game. It's them or the Pens from the Wales Conference. Out in the West? I don't know those teams...
I think Detroit's the favorite except their goalie play has been weak lately. I always love the Ducks because of Jean-Sebastien Giguere. Man, when he's on, he's the best in the game.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
If it is not the Rangers, then I agree, the Penguins. They are loaded up front. They will still need good Goalie play and solid Defense to go far, which I am not sure that they have. Gavy, you going to the next Ranger/ Islander game at the Coliseum?
Going to both games this weekend. I am doing my taxes on Thursday. I missed all the Isles-Ranger games this year due to some strange glitch in my schedule.

Going to both games this weekend. I am doing my taxes on Thursday. I missed all the Isles-Ranger games this year due to some strange glitch in my schedule.

Gavy, you have a real tough day Thursday. Taxes always such. And an Islander loss, will not add to your misery. Niether team did much at Trade deadline. Rangers added a little. Islanders were in a tough spot. Probably did ther right thing by standing Pat.

Gavy, you have a real tough day Thursday. Taxes always such. And an Islander loss, will not add to your misery. Niether team did much at Trade deadline. Rangers added a little. Islanders were in a tough spot. Probably did ther right thing by standing Pat.
With their roster and expectations, I would be very happy if they make the playoffs. Rooting for the Islanders is like being a Cincinnati Reds fan. There were great glory years but we're now peachy-keen if we just make the playoffs.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Listen, this team is still realing from the "Milbury Error". Isiah Thomas is getting crushed by the press (deservedly so) on a daily basis. What Milbury did was equal or worse! He had the top picks and the talent and traded them away for has beens and never weres!

Christ, being an Islander fan is rough. I am more of an "observer" now than "fan". There is a lot of pain still in me from what Milbury and Wang did to this team.

Gavy

With their roster and expectations, I would be very happy if they make the playoffs. Rooting for the Islanders is like being a Cincinnati Reds fan. There were great glory years but we're now peachy-keen if we just make the playoffs.
Wow, great comparison. I loved those Reds teams.

Listen, this team is still realing from the "Milbury Error". Isiah Thomas is getting crushed by the press (deservedly so) on a daily basis. What Milbury did was equal or worse! He had the top picks and the talent and traded them away for has beens and never weres!

Christ, being an Islander fan is rough. I am more of an "observer" now than "fan". There is a lot of pain still in me from what Milbury and Wang did to this team.

Gavy
Well, as I mentioned, I hate the Islanders and agree, after Milbury, rough times have to follow. I will admit though, I always liked Nolan as a coach. Years ago, I wanted him as a Ranger coach. He is doing a great job and now it will take time. Hey, I was at every 1994 Playoff game with the Rangers, including the cup game. So, I kind of feel like I did it. I still root as much and as hard as I ever did, I just do not take losses as hard as I did. Kind of wierd, but the older I get, I don't get too upset anymore. I will be upset though, if the Islanders beat the Rangers this Thursday while I am there.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Brought my daughter to her first hockey game today. She liked the Ice Girls and the Fire Dancers (so did Daddy!). I was surprised that she last two periods. Sat quietly and followed the puck. Good job for a not yet four-year-old.

We left at the end of the 2nd. We bought a bag of popcorn and walked over to the Mariott after the game. We were bombarded by seagulls (gaviotas!). They dive bombed us! The kid was impressed when I batted one of them away. Mother fucker was so bold that I actually touched it as I swatted it away. When we got to the car, I threw them all some popcorn. That was the highlight of the kid's day!

Gavy

Brought my daughter to her first hockey game today. She liked the Ice Girls and the Fire Dancers (so did Daddy!). I was surprised that she last two periods. Sat quietly and followed the puck. Good job for a not yet four-year-old.

We left at the end of the 2nd. We bought a bag of popcorn and walked over to the Mariott after the game. We were bombarded by seagulls (gaviotas!). They dive bombed us! The kid was impressed when I batted one of them away. Mother fucker was so bold that I actually touched it as I swatted it away. When we got to the car, I threw them all some popcorn. That was the highlight of the kid's day!

Gavy
If you love your kid, turn her into a Penguin fan. They should be very good for the next decade. Don't make her suffer eternally rooting for the Isles.

Gavy

Come on! Kids always want to go to the Garden.

First time I brought my son who is 12 now, but was 6 years old at the time. We got there so early so he could watch the practice. 2 suits came up to us and asked if my son wanted to ride the zamboni between periods. That was cool. They played Colorado and we had to go to the visitors locker room with a couple of minutes left in the first. Well, as the Avalanche are coming off the ice, He come this young hockey player on Colorado with long hair, looking really cool to a 6 yr old. So this guy sees my son getting ready to get onto the zamboni and the hockey player picks him up, places him onto the zamboni and hi fives him and said, good luck and don't forget to wave. Well that player was Peter Forsberg. Well my son is still a big time Ranger fan but always has loved Forsberg. The Garden took several pictures of my son going around the ice and has them in frames all over his room.

That is one awesome story, LW! Amazing how wonderful hockey players are.
Yea, it will never be forgotten. My son will be telling that styory forever. You are right, also, about how good hockey players are. Hey, Wait, I played hockey my whole life to. Maybe that's why I am so nice.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
I was at the game for a bit before I went to do my taxes. I got there late in the first and left after the second.

Listen, I am not a big DiPietro fan in the first place. His one Islander highlight came in a preseason game in his 8th pro-season (beating up Montoya). I know, I know, who am I to question how someone mourns? But, missing 3 games in the middle of a playof race to attend a wake and a funeral? A little weak if you ask me. One, maybe two games, but 5 days?

As you know, I am completely objective about sports and hockey in particular. The Rangers aren't going anywhere in the playoffs. Funny, I can see them beating Ottawa, but they are going to have trouble with any of the other teams ranked 1-4 in the conference.

Gavy