Negotiating Fees

How often do you try ? How often do you succeed ? By what amount ?

• Try 0%

Votes: 73 43.5%
  • Try 25%

Votes: 35 20.8%
  • Try 50%

Votes: 21 12.5%
  • Try 75%

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Try 100%

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • Succeed 0%

Votes: 19 11.3%
  • Succeed 10%

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Succeed 20%

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Succeed 30%

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Succeed 50%

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Succeed 75%

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Succeed 100%

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Discount 10%

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • Discount 20%

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Discount 30%

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Discount 50%

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Discount 75%

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Discount 100%

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Cloud Nine

I had to open my big mouth.......
Who got the 100%?

I did.

(Justlooking just melted and caved in when I revealed my UG handle. Plus I promised I'd give her a good review.)

When I worked indy, years ago, I charged $250/session for those who pd by the hour.
I did get a few calls from guys wanting to pay less, I would go as low as $150 as a try out.
It seemed that the ones looking for the discount were the bottom feeders of the clients, ALOT of work, often wierd, and in need of more than the normal amount of time.
I wound up keeping 2 $150 clients, 1 a cute young guy, the other a nice guy too, who put me on his company payroll and paid me by check every week. Both agreed to take a half hour in exchange for the lower rate.
Even now that I have an agency, where bargaining isnt an option, it seems the "worst" clients are the cheapest, and the nicest clients, who we like so well it wouldnt matter if they didnt tip, are the most generous. Funny how that happens.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
From my discussions with the "supply side", it also seems that the "best customers" seem mostly to be "board lurkers", and the "big posters" are more often bargain hunters and/or "demanding". Almost every time I hear of some great new customer who they got thru UG, that customer seems to be a "non-poster".

I find thats true. We always ask new clients where they heard about us, since we barely advertise anymore, and occasionally they say UG or ***. I hold my breathe for a week or 2 after looking for a review, but it never appears!

Originally posted by slinkybender
From my discussions with the "supply side", it also seems that the "best customers" seem mostly to be "board lurkers", and the "big posters" are more often bargain hunters and/or "demanding". Almost every time I hear of some great new customer who they got thru UG, that customer seems to be a "non-poster".
Generally speaking, that is true. I would guess also that some of those great customers are UGers (or from some other board) that don't reveal their posting handle.

That's not to say that I haven't met great clients who do post.

Totally agreeing with Slinky's thoughts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love my lurkers.

I do ditto Caitlins post above but so many of my UGL 's will say they are less than apt to post due to shillers and negitive posters.

Last edited:
I belong to the majority who don't bargain. I have the feeling that if I bargain down the rate, the service I recieve will be compromized. Bargaining for a service is different from bargaining for a merchandisse. You are not getting the same thing if you bargain hard to bring down the rate and potentially you may even get a ripoff unless the provider voluntarilty lowers the rate. If the rate is out of my range, I just go somewhere else. I don't bother to check out $$$ providers, because there are enough $$ providers in my city that meet my price range.

slinkybender, if will be interesting to get a polling on where hobbyists spent most of their money based on price range and type of providers (AMP, independents, traveling, incall agents, outcall agents . . . etc.)

Originally posted by tigerguy
I belong to the majority who don't bargain. I have the feeling that if I bargain down the rate, the service I recieve will be compromized. Bargaining for a service is different from bargaining for a merchandisse.
Same here. I may not be one of those clients with enough disposable income (and time) to go shopping for a gift to sweet-talk the girl. But at the same time I don't want to start the session off on a confrontational note.

To me, negotiating is like starting out by saying, "Ok, I know you're lying to me about your rate. So I'm going to lie to you about what I'll pay. Then we each can spend the rest of the hour wondering how much we got ripped, and just how machiavellian the other is."

Not that you don't wonder that sometimes anyhow, but I don't feel like drawing attention to it right off.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Space

.... I don't want to start the session off on a confrontational note.

To me, negotiating is like starting out by saying, "Ok, I know you're lying to me about your rate. So I'm going to lie to you about what I'll pay. Then we each can spend the rest of the hour wondering how much we got ripped, and just how machiavellian the other is."
Its a business.

Do you think there is an "The Offical Flat Rate Book for Hookers"? Well if not how do you think they get the price - answer: they wet their finger, hold it up in the air and see which way the wind is blowing - then pick a number out of the sky.

The is nothing dishonorable about negotiating a price. You both smile, negotiate a price and put that behind you. Plus the price you get now will be the price you pay next time. The lower it is the more often you can see her.

Last edited:
Just for the record, Im completely turned off by a prospective client calling to ask about a lower rate, its an instant turn off. My feeling is if our rates are above his comfort level, he should book at a place within his price range.

I would say I've had maybe 5 clients ask for a discount in the year and a half since I opened my agency, which is a very very low amount. We dont really get bargain hunters. Of course an agency is a whole different thing than an indy who sets her own rate and splits the fee with noone.

A more polite approach may be to see your girl of choice at her normal fee, then let her know you'd like to see her x/month, or whatever your frequency is, but her rate isnt in your budget. Tell her what you are willing to pay, and maybe you'll get lucky and she'll say yes! As I wrote earlier on this thread, when I was indy, I took the clients I liked & who were not demanding at a lower fee, clients I didnt get along with well I simply said no.

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
It should be obvious...

Originally posted by genius
The is nothing dishonorable about negotiating a price.
I agree; it is not dishonorable per se. It is usually a foolish move though, imho. The reason is very simple; it affects her attitude. I can't even begin to count how many guys I've seen on hobby forums who take pride in their ability to negotiate a favorable rate and then in other posts complain about how providers almost all have bad attitudes etc. But see no connection between the two! Life is an intelligence test.

It may be helpful to imagine a provider who advertises some rate but then, when she meets you, suggests that she'd like you to pay more, thus implying (or maybe even hinting or saying directly) that having sex with you would be so unpleasant that she thinks she deserves more money. How would that affect your attitude?

On the other side of the coin, try paying a bit extra...more than the stated rate...a few times and see how that goes.

-Ww

Last edited:
Re: It should be obvious...

Originally posted by Wwanderer

On the other side of the coin, try paying a bit extra...more than the stated rate...a few times and see how that goes.

-Ww
I did pay little extra as upfront tip to my old favorite providers whom I had great time with from previous experience. A little extra will be more than rewarded by extra enthusiasm. I won't do it to a new encounter though until I find out her peformance.

If the price is not right for me, I just go somewhere else. Providers come in all price range. The providers know it too. If she asks too much relative to her value, she won't get many clients or clients don't return.

All this crap about men who try for lower rates are the least desired clients...bull......I book so many appts..all 3 or more hours...and I book over and over again...im not looking for an hour rate to be knocked down by 25 bucks...im looking at rates that are mostly over the thousand mark......lets look at this....an indy charges 300 bucks an hour.....makes an outcall to another bourough...one hour....travel expense..time....all for just that hour fee.....she tells me 850 for 3 hours...I very nicely tell her no thankyou......then all of the sudden she has a change of heart...ok she says..since its 3 hours.....750....bingo....if I really wanted to fight..i would say 7....and most of the time they agree....its worth it to a girl....3 hours is not 3 hours of total work...alot of down time...and she makes a little less...but overall......her daily take goes up.....it might take her 8 or more hours to cover 3 outcall separate hours......now she can cover one 3 hours appt...give a little discount..but only use up 4 hours of time........do the math.......I ask when I think theres a shot at a discount...I dont ask a new girl....she doesnt know me...once I frequent a girl.....i ask.....so call me cheap.....but dont call me bottom feeder....thats bullshit....

Originally posted by genius

The is nothing dishonorable about negotiating a price. You both smile, negotiate a price and put that behind you. Plus the price you get now will be the price you pay next time. The lower it is the more often you can see her.
What's this about honor? Have you been seeing Klingon girls or something? :)

I don't negotiate because it chills the mood; the same psychology that leads guys with more to spend to bring gifts. Negotiating is a fairly cold way to start a session.

Originally posted by BigMadM
All this crap about men who try for lower rates are the least desired clients...bull......I book so many appts..all 3 or more hours...and I book over and over again...im not looking for an hour rate to be knocked down by 25 bucks...
BMM, you play in a league that most of us never will. You're not an average client by any stretch, and your requests aren't standard. Plus, it seems you've got plenty of ways to charm them -- what with your amiable attitude, the gifts and big-spender ways.

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
Punctuation

BMM, I really enjoyed your post...some people say I use the little series of periods (ellipses I think they are called) too much in my posts. ;-)

-Ww

Agree With Big MadM

"it seems the "worst" clients are the cheapest, and the nicest clients, who we like so well it wouldnt matter if they didnt tip, are the most generous. Funny how that happens."

Gotta chuckle a bit from this post from Milkmaid.
Don't you think there's a disposition to think that the guys who pay more are more generous? Isn't that a given? Doesn't "more generous=paying more?" There's an obvious bias at work here.

In my own experience, price has more to do with looks than with quality of service. I've consistently received better service from the ladies at Julie's and from individual providers at LOWER prices than from the providers I've seen at higher prices.

Example: At Julie's you get an hour of service for $200, including, if you read the reviews, BBBJ, DFK and pretty much whatever you like.

The other day, I made an hour appointment with a well-respected provider at $300. I ended up with a short hour (about 45-50 minutes) and felt generally pretty rushed, this after I had done the provider a favor and rescheduled my time at HER request. I WAS about 10-15 minutes late, mainly due to the fact that my rescheduled time was in the middle of rush hour and I got caught up in traffic. So....kind of my fault, but for ten or fifteen minutes, when I was doing HER a favor, you'd think I still would've gotten a full hour. I'm not compaining about the service that I DID get; it was, in fact, very good. But to be honest, so is the service at Julie's, if you get the right girl.

What does all of this prove? NOTHING. But the above is not an isolated example in my experience. The times I've paid "full retail" have definitely NOT been better than the times I've gotten lower priced service, with or without negotiation.

Providers are in business to make money; of COURSE, they want guys to think they will get better service if they pay more and/or do not negotiate. On the other hand, most providers ALSO say they give each client 100%. Well....either they do or they don't.

Are there any providers out there who are willing to say publicly that they give clients who negotiate LESS service? If not, I don't see the problem.

If it makes a guy feel better about himself not to negotiate, God bless; after all, lots of people shop at Bloomingdales. But I sure haven't had any experiences that would lead me to believe negotiating affects anything but the amount paid.

Last edited: