Negotiating Fees

How often do you try ? How often do you succeed ? By what amount ?

• Try 0%

Votes: 73 43.5%
  • Try 25%

Votes: 35 20.8%
  • Try 50%

Votes: 21 12.5%
  • Try 75%

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Try 100%

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • Succeed 0%

Votes: 19 11.3%
  • Succeed 10%

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Succeed 20%

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Succeed 30%

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Succeed 50%

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Succeed 75%

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Succeed 100%

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Discount 10%

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • Discount 20%

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Discount 30%

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Discount 50%

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Discount 75%

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Discount 100%

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
With the economy as it is, some folks have dropped thier fees, some run specials, and some simply expect negotiation. How often do you try to negotiate fees and of those times, how often do you succeed, and how much ?

( note there are three sections, so you vote up to 3 times - but not more than once in each section:

Try = How often do you try to negotiate

Succeed = Of the times you try, what percentage are you successful at gettin any discount

Discount = Of the times you get any discount, what is the "typical" discount you are able to negotiate )

Originally posted by slinkybender
( vote once in each section:
But if one votes Try= 0%, he should stop there, right?

And if one votes Succeed= 0%, he should stop there, right?

(I'm assuming you want the "succeed" count to be reflective of those who actually tried, not ones who will say, "I have succeeded 0% of the time because I have tried 0% of the time")

(is this one of those "you can't divide by zero" problems?)

pswope

One out of three
I negotiate 100% of time and am succesful 75%. I don't seek a % discount,rather I seek to pay no more than $200/hr. Sometimes, I acheive that number by getting extra time instead of lower dollars. Obviously, I don't negotaite with working girls charging more than $350/hr. I've gotten $350 down to $250.

(otoh,when I used to see Deja,she charged me $130/hr. I couldn't pay her that in good conscience and starting paying her 175

Originally posted by justlooking
I hope that none of the people who posted "Try 0%" also posted "Succeed 0%".
you're so literal...

At least one person tries and does not succeed at 0%.

For myself, I didn't vote thrice. Discount, for me is a zero if the moderators want to edit. (didn't realize there were three questions.)

Originally posted by slinkybender
Hey, it's not my fault if you guys don't read ( "...Of the times you try.... Of the times you get any discount...." ).
yeah, but you also said to vote once in each section......lol

justme

homo economicus
If you're trying to prove that the elements of some collection of sets have some property, you get the empty set for free. Mathematicians say that the conditions are satisfied vacuously.

So (for example) every element of the empty set is a perfect square.

Consider someone who does not negotiate. Now consider the set of times he negotiates (empty). We would say that every time this person negotiates, they are succesfull. Of course we can also say that every time they negotiate they fail.

And so, if you put negotiate 0% of the time, I think you should click all of the remaining radio buttons.

I negociate, I whine, I beg, I cry, I plead, I yell, I whisper.....whatever it takes, I want a discount. Im not that proud that I wont beg.

Flounder

Sleeps with the (rest of the) fishes
I never ask a lady to give me a lower rate, but I once had a lady mention to me that she was thinking of lowering the rates to get new clients. She didn't do it, but then asked me months later why I haven't seen her and I mentioned our conversation and she offered the lower rate. $400 ---> $300

I also once had 2 half hour sessions for the price of a full hour session once, but it was after I had 5 sessions and was time for a ½ priced one.

Never asked, so I succeded 100% of the time.

Refused to take back a tip the few times it was offered back to me. But I stress I never ever broke out any gifts for anyone aka "pulling a Flounder".

Bought a single rose to two providers to test the waters out on how they reacted. Reaction was positve and somewhat surprised but session was still not up to par. Oh well.

Try 0% 17 25.76% <------ [with the polls about to close, we have a projected winner. :margin of error +/-25.76%]

Last edited:
Here is what I do.......

I never ask ladies that I have already seen for a discount. Except that when they raise their rate I inquire if I can still pay the old rate.

I only hondel with providers I haven't seen previously, and then only when there is no statement on their website saying something to the effect of "fees are non-negotiable"

My replies to the poll are thus:
I try for a discount 25% of the time, I am succesful 75% of the time, and generally receive a 30% discount.

Conversations usually go something like this:
O.K. I would like to set up an apointment, what is your rate?
300 per hour
Well that is usually more than I have to spend.
How much to you normally spend?
Usually about 200 (which is a lie) (and they know it)
Well the least I could see you for is 225 (usually they agree to the 200 hence the 30% discount (33% actually)

Dan