MLB Hot Stove League 2023-24

billyS

Reign of Terror
I'm reading about Drew Thorpe in today's Post. It reads like the second coming of Cy Young. The Yankees need to hold on to this guy and make him untouchable.
I've read a few articles on him also over the course of this year.
He has shot thru the system rapidly but hasn't made AAA yet. Not overpowering but create command and a good arsenal.

I read that the Padres are asking for King, Schmidt and Thorpe. No way I make that deal for one year when you can sign him for 2025.

The only way I‘m dealing King is if I’m getting a stud in return like Corbin Burnes. But King may be our #2 in the rotation if Rodon and Cortes don’t perform. They obviously need to sign at least one starter this post season.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I read that the Padres are asking for King, Schmidt and Thorpe. No way I make that deal for one year when you can sign him for 2025.

The only way I‘m dealing King is if I’m getting a stud in return like Corbin Burnes. But King may be our #2 in the rotation if Rodon and Cortes don’t perform. They obviously need to sign at least one starter this post season.
The fact that Boras already said he is definitely going to free agency kills his trade value.
Unless a team is totally stocked with minor league players that are blocked on the MLB level by young players.

If Yankees can get Burnes for a deal involving Michael King,I will buy King's plane ticket to San Diego for him! Lol

billyS

Reign of Terror
If Yankees can get Burnes for a deal involving Michael King,I will buy King's plane ticket to San Diego for him! Lol
I think you mean Milwaukee, but I get what you mean.

And I agree because in that deal you are replacing King with a known quantity, where as if you trade him for Soto you are creating a hole in the rotation that has to be filled.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Before Free agency the Winter meetings really meant something. The only way you could improve was to make a Blockbuster trade.

John Sterling used to have a talk show on WMCA, a station that used to carry the Yankees games in the early 70's. It was hard to tune in to on a transitor radio with a dial.

But I would tune in and listen to all the fans calling in with their purposed trades and then John would check in with Phil Pepe who would be on site and fill us in on the real rumors. Great stuff for a young fan.

The Yankees are in a pickle. If they sign Bellinger to a big contract, wouldn't that compromise their chances to sign Soto next year? I guess if they move Stanton (good luck with that) or Rodon sometime during the 2024 season, they would free up a boat load of cash to sign Soto for 2025.

I'm convinced the best scenario is trading for Soto this off-season without giving up King or Thorpe.

I think he is a free agent after next season maybe he plays CF until Dominguez comes back. I really hope they keep Judge out of Center as much as possible.

billyS

Reign of Terror
He is an upgrade over what they have but that's not saying much. He hits for a decent average but has no power. Hopefully he doesn't change his style and starts trying to pull everything and upper cutting everything.

But I still want Soto or Bellinger. Wanted both by I guess that is not happening this year.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I think the Bellinger money is going to the Japanese pitcher and keeping some in reserve for Soto if it plays out well and he wants to stay in New York.

Verdugo could work out since he is playing for a contract. He is more of a contact hitter which is what we need.

Can you really see Ohtani going to Toronto?
He knows that's not on the west coast right?

Verdugo isn't awful, better than the Cordero and McKinney bullshit we had this past season.
One guy I do like a lot is Candelario, would love him at 3B.
I like Lane Thomas too, just a few under the radar names if Soto or Bellinger don't work out.

I think the Bellinger money is going to the Japanese pitcher and keeping some in reserve for Soto if it plays out well and he wants to stay in New York.

Verdugo could work out since he is playing for a contract. He is more of a contact hitter which is what we need.

Can you really see Ohtani going to Toronto?
He knows that's not on the west coast right?
That's a Scary lineup if he goes to the Blue Jays,but they have guys that are due to get paid as well( Guerrero etc) guess they got money!