MLB Hot Stove League 2023-24

billyS

Reign of Terror
With baseball beat writers not having much to write about since the end of the WS all we get are recycled rumors about Soto and Bellinger.

I mean yes we know the Yankees could use them and we know Cashman has kicked the tires on them.

But one interesting trade rumor that has come up is a four way deal with Yanks, Astros, Orioles and I forgot the other team, but it winds up with the Yanks parting with Dominguez for a one year rental of Bergman.
Thoughts?

I don't do it because I can see Bergman struggling with the pressure of the fans here and leaving in FA.

With baseball beat writers not having much to write about since the end of the WS all we get are recycled rumors about Soto and Bellinger.

I mean yes we know the Yankees could use them and we know Cashman has kicked the tires on them.

But one interesting trade rumor that has come up is a four way deal with Yanks, Astros, Orioles and I forgot the other team, but it winds up with the Yanks parting with Dominguez for a one year rental of Bergman.
Thoughts?

I don't do it because I can see Bergman struggling with the pressure of the fans here and leaving in FA.
I hate Bregman because he is an Astro. But I would like him as a Yankee, I think he would thrive. Solidify that position for the next 7-10 years. Good defense, contact type of bat.

He is a big horse guy, I have seen a lot of interviews with him recently on the TVG and he comes off as humble and somewhat likable. But until he isn't an Astro anymore I HATE HIM! And I would NOT give up Dominguez for him at all. I saw the article you mentioned, they want to make Altuve an Astro for life and its reported they won't have the money for Bregman. Still wouldn't move Dominguez for him. Only guy I move Dominguez for is Soto - Only if we have a window to resign him.

Hot Stove for the Yanks is more like an Easy Bake oven right now. Hope they have a legit plan.

So today it comes out that Soto is no way signing an extension.He is signing for one year and becoming a free agent. I'm sure that changes the names Yankees would potentially trade in a deal. I have no problem trading players if he was gonna sign,but not going to go nuts for a one year rental

billyS

Reign of Terror
So today it comes out that Soto is no way signing an extension.He is signing for one year and becoming a free agent. I'm sure that changes the names Yankees would potentially trade in a deal. I have no problem trading players if he was gonna sign,but not going to go nuts for a one year rental
Same here. I don't give up anyone in the top five.

Same here. I don't give up anyone in the top five.
So I been thinking about this whole Soto to Yankees dream and the more I think about it the more I feel like its something that could turn into a nightmare.

From everything I have read he is not a very good clubhouse presence and is very immature. I don't see that working in the Yankees clubhouse based on current players and tradition.

He wants 500 million + in terms of a contract, how can the Yankees pay anyone more than Judge , their captain at this point. Remember when the Padres rewarded a then 21-22 year old Tatis with a huge contract, how he repay them? He has been a very immature, egotistical player since he was infused with all that money. That kind go behavior and swag just does not play with the Yankee organization. Could Soto be the same way? Not a good sign when your only 25 and reports are your a bad clubhouse presence and very immature.

IDK, just throwing all this out there, just can't see giving him 500 million , 140 million more than Judge. I think if you asked 100 baseball fans/people, the majority would say they would rather Judge than Soto as the face of their franchise. He carries himself so much better.

The Yankees put themselves in this situation, so I only blame Cash and his nerd bundle in the analytics department.

I would not send all these prospects the Padres want for a one year rental or a potential 15 year contract player who already has the stench of arrogance and being a bad teammate all over him.

Yankees should have never passed on Harper, that was the guy to get for hundreds of millions less.

Soto is only 25 and he stays on the field. That carries a lot of weight. They must know about his character. I would like to think they would know better - but then again - Cashman hasn’t shown the best judgement in the past.