MLB Hot Stove 2022-2023 discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyS

Reign of Terror
may be a strong request from the GM would be in order. These players feel more strongly about the WBC than the team paying them. Not good for us fans.
Well, not good for the fans of their real teams but great for the fans of from their counties that feel great pride in their players and teams.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I know most of you are against the WBC and think it is a joke, but I've seen two very exciting games, USA vs Venezuela and tonight Mexico vs Japan.

Both were very fast paced and well played games. Both really has a different feel as there was really no home team and the crowd reacted loudly to all the great plays and hits, because the fans seemed equally split.

Tomorrow USA vs Japan should be a great game but Japan definitely has the advantage with Darvish starting and Otani ready to come out of the pen. I think that will be the difference.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I actually watched some of the Mexico/Japan game. Boy did that Gallegos CHOKE! Wow!
He's not a closer. He is a very good middle inning guy and Japan had the heart of the order up in the ninth.
Otani is one of the top five players in MLB, that guy the Red Sox got looks legit and the guy who got the winning hit is definitely headed to the states once he is old enough to get posted.

That's what scares me about the US's chances tonight. The pitching we brought is mediocre at best and the Japanese lineup is legit.

That was quite the drama in the ninth inning. Ohtani owned Trout in that final at bat. I was surprised that he lit the radar gun at 100 mph. Didn't know that he had that kind of velocity. The only time I really watched him pitch was when the Yankees lit him up in the first inning of a game a year or two ago. Wow.

billyS

Reign of Terror
That was quite the drama in the ninth inning. Ohtani owned Trout in that final at bat. I was surprised that he lit the radar gun at 100 mph. Didn't know that he had that kind of velocity. The only time I really watched him pitch was when the Yankees lit him up in the first inning of a game a year or two ago. Wow.
Yeah, as Yankees fans we've never seen him at his best in pitching.

But look at his stats and he is a true ace.

Japan really trotted out quite the pitching staff last night. I knew that would be their advantage.

Did you notice during the lineup intro, when they tipped their hats they all have the exact same haircut?

billyS

Reign of Terror
The US didn't exactly have our best pitchers out there. That being said - I prefer Cole pitching in Yankee camp as opposed to the WBC.
Agreed.
But for national pride I would have rather had deGrom or Verlander or Fried start and back each other up then have Hader ready to close

billyS

Reign of Terror
Advanced Media writer Max Goodman is reporting that Luis Severino will not make his final spring training start......No other details offered.

Never a good thing, hope he is not hurt, why else would they scratch him? He has had a terrible spring.
Probably "discomfort" somewhere. Shoulder, lat, forearm.

This is getting ugly and in hindsight, trading Monty was a horrible decision. Not to mention dealing all of their best pitching prospects last summer. Get ready for a lot of bullpen games. They‘re going to need to stretch out Michael King.

Status
Not open for further replies.