MLB Hot Stove 2022-2023 discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s probably a pipe dream, but I hope the Yanks shock the world and sign Trea Turner. The guy is a beast. Signing him would give them options with the kids and Gleyber as trade bait. A lot of money is coming off the books for 2023 and if Gleyber is moved that adds to the pot.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Agreed, same as my answer to @lightweight about Correa, it doesn't make sense to spend that much money on a position that's already covered cheaply.

I think in the days before the faux cap and the higher salaries weren't so disproportionately large compared to the rest of the payroll you might have seen the Yankees do something like this.

Funny I remember back when Bernie, Piazza and Belle were getting really big contracts one writer when wondering how many of these big contracts a team could take on.
Somehow early on in free agency this wasn't a problem for the big market teams.

It’s probably a pipe dream, but I hope the Yanks shock the world and sign Trea Turner. The guy is a beast. Signing him would give them options with the kids and Gleyber as trade bait. A lot of money is coming off the books for 2023 and if Gleyber is moved that adds to the pot.
He is a great player. But he may just be close to a 300 million player.

Agreed, same as my answer to @lightweight about Correa, it doesn't make sense to spend that much money on a position that's already covered cheaply.
If I'm Hal, I'm sick of losing to the Astros. Signing Judge only maintains what we were this year. It's time for this team to make an IMPACT.

The odds that any of the prospects will have the skill set that Turner has is slim. Sign Turner and deal Peraza or Volpe. The have a boatload of money coming off the books this year. I'm sick of being uncompetitive in the post season.

What would their strategy be if the Mets had won the world series? Yankee fans would be jumping off buildings. It shouldn't matter, but in a year or two it will.

If I'm Hal, I'm sick of losing to the Astros. Signing Judge only maintains what we were this year. It's time for this team to make an IMPACT.

The odds that any of the prospects will have the skill set that Turner has is slim. Sign Turner and deal Peraza or Volpe. The have a boatload of money coming off the books this year. I'm sick of being uncompetitive in the post season.

What would their strategy be if the Mets had won the world series? Yankee fans would be jumping off buildings. It shouldn't matter, but in a year or two it will.
Fucking Love it!
We all seem to want to be Cashman and be meek about our dealings.
Turner is a fucking beast, nothing says Volpe, Peraza, will be. Trade them for a fucking beast pitcher or Ohtani. Stack that team around Judge and smoke the cheating "stros

billyS

Reign of Terror
The answer is we could have "non-tendered" which is effectively releasing him. They must think that they can trade him for something. I think they can and will.
My guess is they hold on to him thru Spring Training as an insurance policy. Maybe they find a sucker to take Donaldson's contract you can have IKF take some reps at third where he won a gold glove.
I see Peraza at SS next year with Volpe at Scranton. They probably feel the same way but don't want to just hand the kid the job but make him earn it.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Some interesting Non Tenders.
Cody Bellinger, wow he's fallen far. Was better than Judge right after they were both rookies.

Luke Voit and Dominic Smith, some team will get lucky with one of them. Hopefully it's not Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.