Latest Pastrami News

So, you're saying side-by-side taste-tests are the only legitimate way to compare pastrami sandwiches? Does the same hold true for providers? (Sorry, I just had to bring this up. After all, UG is known as the "meat market" of PMBs.)
I would say that its the best way as you know even providers services can vary from day to day. Everyone and everything can have a off day I just cant see how you can compare one thing to another accurately without it being so close that your senses tell you " yeah thats the one for me "

Monk, thanks for revitalizing this thread.
I miss good pastrami like a dead friend.

I was directed to Lido Kosher Deli as a provider of good old fashioned pastrami. I bought a sandwhich, about $12, that must have had a third of a pound of Empire pastrami on it. It was succulent, tender and delicious, and I began to formulate plans to move to Long Beach.

A few weeks later I visited again and had a horrible experience. Since I am a pig at heart I bought two sandwiches ( under $10 each with a coupon) and found that they gave me pastrami so dense with grisle that I couldn't bite it, I had to gnaw my way through it. Too bad it was take out; I imagine they would have apologized and taken it back, but I don't know, the place is now off my list.

Dickson's Farmstand, in Chelsea Market—which is, otherwise, a seriously overpriced butcher—serves a remarkably good, pre-made pastrami sandwich on the weekend. It has an old fashioned, home made, crunchy coleslaw on it (vinegar, no mayo) and good, strong mustard. Only problem: it's served stone cold, right out of the fridge. But the quality and taste of the meet makes it worthwhile. You might want to wait at least 1/2 an hour before eating it. It runs around $8 and is normal sized (not Carnegie Deli sized).

Pastrami King and Queen

I remember the King in Merrick was not that great.

Any agreement? I'm going to try it again.

How about the Queen on the Upper East Side?

Both claim Queens Blvd King as their heritage.

which pastrami?

Sorry guys I didn't understand. What is wrong or was wrong with the pastrami again?
Are you interested in Merrick? Or a different comment?

I can tell you I went to Merrick after years of enjoying the Queens Blvd King; I was looking for a great experience, with the right texture, tenderness, and explode in your mouth flavor I remembered from Queens.
I didn't get it.
Is it a case of flawed memory? Ideals that never really existed? Pastrami not enjoyed at its peak?

I don't know. I can only say that recently I've been happy with Katz's, thrilled with the Carnegie Deli, found an acceptable if not inspirational sandwich at Ben's, and one delicious and one way off at Lido Kosher ( where they serve Empire, I think).