I'm a Jets fan who thinks Rex Ryan is a DICK.

I am not totally against Sparano but you guys are acting like he is some guru, some football virtuoso whose talent had been hidden by circumstances. The reality of his history as an assistant coach is zero success.

He was hired because he is known to espouse football philosophies of promoting a power running game and having very good pass protection, which are things the Jets need. I think there is a certain amount of wishful thinking in his hire, namely wishing that his philosophy of believing in these things as strengths will make them become Jets' strengths. He is probably an upgrade over Schottenheimer based on addition by subtraction philosophy. The Jets also could have hired Hue Jackson and that would have been upgrade.

I am not totally against Sparano but you guys are acting like he is some guru, some football virtuoso whose talent had been hidden by circumstances. The reality of his history as an assistant coach is zero success.

He was hired because he is known to espouse football philosophies of promoting a power running game and having very good pass protection, which are things the Jets need. I think there is a certain amount of wishful thinking in his hire, namely wishing that his philosophy of believing in these things as strengths will make them become Jets' strengths. He is probably an upgrade over Schottenheimer based on addition by subtraction philosophy. The Jets also could have hired Hue Jackson and that would have been upgrade.
First, Please don't confuse my reasoning for excitement. I said I "liked" the Sparano hiring and than offered the "enlightenment'" that YOU requested. I am not guaranteeing any Super Bowls over his hiring.

Secondly, I hope that the Hue Jackson thing was a joke. Most people who think they know something about football probably believed that the Oakland Madness died with Al Davis. Who knew that it is still lingering as they fired yet another Coach after one year. I'm sure the Jets weren't waiting to see if he was going to get fired before looking for someone else to be their OC.

Namath "Stumped" By Sparano Hire

Joe Namath has come out and publicly stated EXACTLY what I said about the Tony Sparano hire:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...ath-stumped-new-york-jets-hiring-tony-sparano

"This is the football fraternity, the coaching fraternity, the GMs, with their friends and all," Namath said. "That's basically what I think about Tony getting that job. But cr****tials as an offensive coordinator? I don't see it. I hope he's a great one, but I don't see it." - Joe Namath

I am glad to see that common sense and reason has been restored. Namath, unlike other Jets fans who blindly believe that a hiring is a good one simply by virtue of having been made by the Jets, has never been afraid to speak the truth and he has done so once again. He even spoke the truth about his feelings for Suzy Kolber on national TV. You gotta love him.

Hue Jackson was available or the Jets knew he would have been available, but I assume he was not hired because he was too bright and hence a possible threat to Rex Ryan and his ego.

Last edited:
Sparano has about a decade of NFL offensive coaching experience from a running backs coach to the O-line/asst coach at Dallas and then 4 years as a head coach. So he's covered about all facets of the offense in his experience. Until this year when he played way too conservative because his job was on the line from week one, he's been a pretty good play caller and great at clock management. The most important part of any offense is "blocking schemes"... for both running and pass protection and Miami was pretty good at both while he was there and with very inferior (cept for Jake Long) talent. I think the Jets upgraded in a big way from Shotts to Sparano.
I hope ytou are right. Parcells loved him. I know he did a great job in Miami... I hope it turns out to be a good hire. It cant be worse... I just dontr know, it its a no brainer of a hire... Just not sure... I know his player love him and he has experience and a great guy...

Joe Namath is a bitter drunk 40 years removed from a sport in which his most notable involvement since was trying to make out with an ESPN sideline reporter during a MNF game on live TV. Sparano is a total ground game coach... And that's exactly what the Jets have been accused of abandoning this past season that they were very successful at in the previous two playoff seasons.

Joe Namath has come out and publicly stated EXACTLY what I said about the Tony Sparano hire:
So Joe Namath agrees with you, Congratulations, I’m very happy for you. Forgive me if I don’t track down all the other people who liked the hire, because I don’t care what they think. I made a statement, I than gave my reasons for making that statement, and I have no intentions of changing my mind until I see some results. And if you think I’m one of those fans who think the Jets can do no wrong, go back and read the opening post of this thread.

And just a word on Broadway Joe, he has been killing the Jets since Woody Johnson bought the team and didn’t “embrace” him the way Namath felt he should have been treated. Last year he was killing Sanchez, this week he’s defending him. Namath was once a great analyst, who offered great insight for the game. But old age, drink and bitterness has rendered him a shell of the legend that once was.

Hiring a coach based on his success as a coordinator is meaningless if he's not a motivator. You can always get good, even great coordinators. It's the true motivators you can't easily get or predict. Fisher was a good motivator that was his strength... not his play calling or clock management. Same with Cower and Chuckie. When you can get a coach with a mix of the two you end up with a Lombardi, Shula, Walsh or Parcells. And if you notice... it's THEIR coordinators and offspring who usually become the next set of greats.

My point is if you want to impress me... instead of the next hot shit coordinator of the week, tell me you just stole one of Belichek's assistants. Steve Ross told the media that he "wanted to hire the next Don Shula". Well, Shula came directly from Paul Brown lineage. Played for and coached under him. The Don also came to Miami with a history of success and a Super Bowl appearance with the Colts. He also came with fanfare and A LOT of confidence and leadership that the team and entire organization lacked. Don walked in and was given complete control from the start. That didn't happen in those days. That's not anything near what Ross hired. The reason Fisher turned down Miami was because he couldn't get any control. He wanted a Don Shula and Fisher was the closest thing and he embarrassed him with their offer. As the Soup Nazi would say... NO Don Shula for you!

Ps... Imagine how stupid the Wilpons would sound if they said they wanted to sign the next Tom Seaver.

Last edited:
Well said.... I guess they give him a lot of credit for Rodgers success... I dont know anything about how Philbin motivates... And I agree, it is as important who he gets as his coordinators.. I had Met Reggie Bush and love him. I know he had his problems with USC and I guess he ended up screwing over USC, but I try not to think about that part because I an a big fan and root hard for him... One of my fav players... He is as cool of a guy as he is a player... I still think he can be, maybe not great but very very good. He is an incredible talent... So, I have a little interest in the fish...

WOW!!!! Tebow to the JETS????

WTF is going on in Jersey. Is Woody this desperate for some Jets Buzz? Was this the Jets way to guarantee a return to "Hard Knocks"? Imagine Sanchize, Tebow, & Santonio Holmes in the same huddle. I don't know if this going to translate into any wins for the Jets, but I can't wait to see whats going to happen this season. It's like a train wreck of a reality show.

Tim Tebow.....NOT!..........at least Not yet

My previous posts might have been a bit premature as it seems Moe, Larry, an...... um I mean.... Woody, Rex, and Mr. T never got around to reading Mr. Tebows contract. This shit is just too funny, you can't make this up.

No truth to the rumor that the deal was killed by Santonio Holmes, who did not demand a trade because he didn't want to play for a team with two quarterbacks (one who wouldn't throw to him and one who couldn't throw to him).

OK Jets fans... I've been holding in my giggles for 24 hrs now.

1- Apparently Rex was not consulted re; Tebow. A TMZ video of Rex making the rounds last night, they got him at an airport someplace and he didn't seem pleased. I believe his quote was "Maybe we'll sing Jeremy Lin next"... obviously referring to this being nothing more than a stunt.

2- As a Jet hater I can't fucking wait for the QB controversy the first time the Jets lose or Sanchez throws an INT and the Tebow chants start. Btw... playoff bound teams don't have QB controversies.

3- I equally can't waittill one of the Jets loudmouth receivers snaps on the field when Tebow short hops an easy pass.

4- Tony Sporano while an excellent O-line and players coach, he wasn't the genius behind the wildcat (Dan Henning was). He and Parcells only went along with it out of desperation cause they didn't have a big WR prior to Marshal and Bess and he also had the right tools (Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams) to run it. The WC doesn't work just because you have a mobile QB... you need that second rb as an option to pitch the ball to when the qb/rb can't find a hold up the middle. The WC only works when the defense is surprised. It only worked when Pennington was in the huddle and sprinted to the wideout spot and brown slipped into the QB spot that the D didn't have time to react. Brown would look for a hole and if he didn't have it he pitched it to Williams who ran a sweep around the blitzing defense chasing Brown. It's the old college option but you need to make the D think there's a QB who can throw downfield. Once Henne became the QB they would put him on the sideline and the D would see only Brown in the huddle and knowing there was no chance of the ball being thrown downfield, they brought up the LB's and safeties and were able to stuff any run inside or outside.

Last edited:
Hey, Tebow is a really good football player. Bring him in. Jets need good football players. Let him make plays... Thats all. Not a big deal.... I like it.... Ozzy, At least Jets have 3 QBs, where the Dolphins do not have any....lol.... OK, OK, Tebow is not a QB, so I take that back..... Mcknight would be the only RB to do the Option, who is on the roster now.