I'm a Jets fan who thinks Rex Ryan is a DICK.

What NO Boomer? How quickly the "Great One's " fade.
Boomer led the AFC in passing when he was with the Bengals and I figured it would be insulting to include him with the other guys I mentioned (plus he was essentially washed up when the Jets got him). Ditto with Vinny Testaverde who had one of the great arms of all time and a few very good seasons. It's not playing fair to compare Sanchez to those two or to Joe Namath.

Last edited:
The relevant question is whether he is a Richard Todd, Ken O'Brien, Browning Nagle, Neil O'Donnell, or Chad Pennington?

I wouldn't put Pennington in that mix. He simply never had the arm strength to have any business playing in the NFL... yet he played 10 years and took a few Jets teams into the playoffs and a 1-15 Miami team from worst to first in the AFC east his only injury-free year. If Pennington had half the arm any of those others had.... he'd be Dan Marino.

I also don't recall Vinnie having such a great arm. He was average maybe slightly above and his throwing motion made him appear in slow motion. He was certainly no Elway, Marino or Kelly.

Arm strength is everything in the NFL. You can learn to read a defense, you can maybe learn some footwork.... but you either can or can't throw a strike to your WR on an inside slant from 20 yards.

Last edited:
There is a certain amount of piling on Sanchez that is going on here, but I think much of it is revealing. I don't think Jenkins' comment are in any way out of line. He is probably being quite candid. A good dose of candid criticism might actually do Sanchez some good. He's had his manhood and his leadership ability questioned. It's fair that people around him expect his potential to translate into production at some point in time.

And having seen more than enough of Sanchize in 3 years now I can tell you he's not the future. He's not even as good as Henne and Miami's done with him. Sanchez has happy feet in the pocket where he feels even slight pressure and instead of stepping up or sidestepping to complete as pass, he starts hopping around and running from the pocket.... and great QB's don't suffer from that.... ever. And it's not a learned talent, you either have it or you don't. Marino, Fouts and Manning are three not very mobile QB's who thrived at it and completed all those last second passes just as a blitzer was zoned in and neither got sacked or even hit much.
But Ozzy, they all had an O-line.I am not saying you are wrong, I am saying it is not known yet... He was fine the last 2 yrs. This yr, I agree with you, but I think it is because he got the shit kicked out of him every game. He got gun shy...

When you have a pro-bowl center who is the most important person on the line to the QB... You can't knock the line. And the rest of the Jets line is average... not shitty and not enough of an excuse. The reason he gets hit so much is because he has no pocket presence. A QB has to help themselves at least 50% of the time.

When you have a pro-bowl center who is the most important person on the line to the QB... You can't knock the line. And the rest of the Jets line is average... not shitty and not enough of an excuse. The reason he gets hit so much is because he has no pocket presence. A QB has to help themselves at least 50% of the time.
I agree, but to make it worse is that DBrick is also a pro bowl player this yr.... I was not really sticking up for Sanchez, as he did do a bad job, but having a bad line and no run did not help....

Marino never had any run at all.... like last or second to last in the NFL every year, and not much of a line aside from Stephenson for only a couple years before he blew out his in the Meadowlands and finished his career, and Richmond Webb who protected Marino's back for about a decade. And Marino as immobile as he was set records for games without being sacked. It's all about being able to make one step to avoid most sacks.

Marino never had any run at all.... like last or second to last in the NFL every year, and not much of a line aside from Stephenson for only a couple years before he blew out his in the Meadowlands and finished his career, and Richmond Webb who protected Marino's back for about a decade. And Marino as immobile as he was set records for games without being sacked. It's all about being able to make one step to avoid most sacks.
Maybe like Baseball teams do with retired players, Maybe Marino can help Sanchez in in summer, get paid, because Sanchez can move and he can run....

Last edited:
Schottenheimer Out, Sparano In

No big surprise there. I guess they made a deal with Shotts to save him the embarresment of being fired and save a new employer the questions of why hire someone else's outcast.

I like the Sparano hire, I don't know what kind of X's and O's type of guy he is, but this is a move in the right direction.

I like the Sparano hire
Why? Prior to being with the Dolphins, his career track was to have been fired by the Browns, Redskins and Jaguars, then hired as offensive play caller by the Cowboys only to be quickly replaced by Jason Garrett. He was then fired by the Dolphins who progressively declined after his stellar first season. So his record is fired, fired, fired, replaced by Jason Garrett, fired. Please enlighten us as to why you like this hire.

You were the one talking about embarassment of Schottenheimer being fired, yet Sparano has 5 fires or constructive firings on his record.

Last edited:
Please enlighten us as to why you like this hire.

You were the one talking about embarassment of Schottenheimer being fired, yet Sparano has 5 fires or constructive firings on his record.
You make it sound like he's been fired for doing a bad job. The "truth" to all his firings (Except in Miami where he was HC) was that he was fired along with the Head Coach and the rest of that staff. He and Schottenheimer Sr. got a raw deal in Washington when Snyder wanted to go with that "legend" Steve Spurrier. He just joined Coughlins staff in Jacksonville when Tom was already on his way out the door. And in Cleveland I can't even remember that Head Coachs name, who was less than impressive. As for Garrett, if I remember correctly, he was brought in specifically by Jerry Jones to be the OC and possible future HC and Parcells had allready left.

But the reason I like Sparano is #1) he's a Parcells guy. I like Parcells guys (Belichick, Groh, Cranell, et al). #2) I think he resurrected the wild cat from NFL dormancy and put a little more excitement back in the game. #3) I think he did a great (yes, Great) job in Miami, especially with what he had to work with, including the media loving owner and that brass GM, and NO real QB. I guess some people forget he took a 1-15 team to the division title the next year with Chad Pennington at QB. #4) and finally, I think Sparano is an "Old School" type of Coach, maybe the "Anti-Rex" which might give the Jets a little more balance.

I personally felt that Schotts Jr. was a stooge to Ryan, while he did have control of the offense, he failed to truly prepare (read- Discipline) his players, and played too many games not to lose (read-no balls). So yes I like this hiring and will be looking forward to what happens to this team in the off season.

You were the one talking about embarassment of Schottenheimer being fired,
The only reason Schotts wasn't directly fired was because if he did have a shot at getting another OC job, it would probably save the Jets some money. If his father gets the Tampa job and brings him in to be his OC (again), the media reaction would be worse because of his recent firing and talk of nepotism. This way it looks like he LEFT to work with his dad, a good move for all parties.

Sparano is an O-Line guy. He's there to boost the Jets running game make no mistake about it. He got a bad deal in Miami. Took a shit team to the division title in one year with a gimpy weak armed QB and a bag of tricks.... and then got absolutely no help from the GM who rather than get the players Sparano needed, only shopped for names to make their star fucker owner happy... Not to mention he was undermined repeatedly by the front office and was basically fired this time last year when the GM and owner went on a foolish coaching hunt.

And rather than being a fat lazy bastard like Rex and getting his stomach tied in a knot, he lost his weight the old fashioned way.

Sparano's a good guy, a players coach. If anyone is going to inspire his team it's him.

Sparano has no track record as an effective O-coordinator at the NFL level. His only past record of success working with an offense was with division II University of New Haven. He may be a good guy and one of Bill Parcells's favored sons but he has no track record of success at the NFL level.

Sparano has about a decade of NFL offensive coaching experience from a running backs coach to the O-line/asst coach at Dallas and then 4 years as a head coach. So he's covered about all facets of the offense in his experience. Until this year when he played way too conservative because his job was on the line from week one, he's been a pretty good play caller and great at clock management. The most important part of any offense is "blocking schemes"... for both running and pass protection and Miami was pretty good at both while he was there and with very inferior (cept for Jake Long) talent. I think the Jets upgraded in a big way from Shotts to Sparano.

Sparano has no track record as an effective O-coordinator at the NFL level. His only past record of success working with an offense was with division II University of New Haven. He may be a good guy and one of Bill Parcells's favored sons but he has no track record of success at the NFL level.
I've seen guys get Head Coaching jobs with less success than Sparano. I'll take a former head coach who's hungry to reclaim a top spot over any first time coordinator every time.

God forgive me, But as Mike Francesa would say, "give me the guy who's better" Doc? Throw me a realistic name or two and we'll discuss it.

As for Parcells and Belichick. I am no fan of their personalities. Parcells (who takes every job with one foot already out the door) and Belichick (the "Evil Genius") coach with only one thing on there minds; WINNING. No shows for the media, No dumb commercials, No shameful headlines, no stupid guarantees, just shut up, play and win. And those rules apply to not just their player but asst. coachs too. The way football should be played.