I don't eat properly at all

its_mousey said:
All kidding aside, I have the same problem as you. Late night munchies that tend to cancel out any gains I've made at the gym.

Try a combination of the following:

1) Sleep earlier. I find myself having the munchies whenever I stay up late.

2) If you must snack, try a low cal/low carb food. Some have suggested jello.

3) Increase your workout (either make it 4X a week or increase your cardio).

*Squeak!*
Yes. Also, eat a big breakfast and lunch. You'll find you're not as hungry later. Jello, applesauce, yes. Try those sugarless fudge-cicle things once in awhile.

I suffer from the same problem - late night eating. Recently, I've strated to eat the following:

Bear Naked granola with some yogurt and berries - very filling and low glycemic
or
A small piece of hard cheese, some almonds and walnuts and baby carrots with a low fat/low cal ranch dip.

These should not be huge portions - in fact you'll feel satisfied with a little bit. Verify with your physician if these are reasonable for you.

big blue1 said:
Thank You NJman2...I'll give it a try...My physician doesn't talk to me much about weight because he is around 75lbs overweight!!
He may not be the best physician for you then, unless of course, you're seeing him for a particular condition unrelated to weight.

*Squeak!*

Mr. Wet Wooly said:
Jeez, what genius told you that? The chemicals and crap they put in soda are poison, regardless of how little sugar or calories it contains.....
I didn't know they put poison in diet soda. I always thought it was just carbonated water and artificial sweeteners. I've looked at the ingredients of the stuff I drink and that’s all I find.

Maybe you can tell me which brands have poisons in them so I can avoid them.

My Dad worked for a big soft drink company for 40 years and although it might not be poison it's not great for you either especially if you want to lose weight. There is also a very high salt content in the diet ones also which can cause bloat. Try making your own caffeine free iced tea if you want more flavor than water. Iced peppermint is nice.

fairemily said:
My Dad worked for a big soft drink company for 40 years and although it might not be poison it's not great for you either especially if you want to lose weight. There is also a very high salt content in the diet ones also which can cause bloat. Try making your own caffeine free iced tea if you want more flavor than water. Iced peppermint is nice.
Just looked at the sodium content of my diet snapple iced tea - 10mg. The recommended daily amount is 1500mg. Not an issue.

This thread started out with big blue 1 asking "Any idea's on any relatively healthy substitutes that can satisfy a sweet tooth?" Although "Iced peppermint is nice” is true I don’t think it will satisfy a sweet tooth.

What I think is really illogical is drinking 40g (160 cal) of sugar (probably high fructose corn syrup nowadays – it’s cheaper than sugar) in a 12 oz soft drink because of some idea that sugar substitutes are less healthy for you. Three cans of soda are almost ¼ of the total calories a woman should have a day and other than 36 oz of water, it contributes almost nothing good to nutrition.

PS: I prefer herbal Cinnamon Apple Spice once in a while when I have too much of the black caffeinated coffee I usually drink

Well I have started with Jello so we will see how long that lasts. These flavored iced teas: How much sugar is in them?. I have only had water for 6 weeks now and I kind of miss my diet soda or sugar free iced teas with lots of sweet & low.

big blue1 said:
Well I have started with Jello so we will see how long that lasts. These flavored iced teas: How much sugar is in them?....
Unfortunately jello is a high glycemic food - so your blood sugar peaks quickly and crashes soon after so you are become hungry for more sugar.

The "sugar" sweetened (usually its high fructose corn syrup because its cheaper) teas are just slightly better (glycemic wise) than the common soda's (30g vs 40g).

Tell me again what studies you have seen that say the artifical sweeteners are "too much crap"?

big blue1 said:
No specific study, just basically every MD I have ever seen basically says to stay away.
A statement like that cuts off any possibility of intelligent discussion unless of course others responding to this thread have seen some of the "every MD" you have seen and then can ask him/her what the basis of the advice to "stay away".

genius said:
Just looked at the sodium content of my diet snapple iced tea - 10mg. The recommended daily amount is 1500mg. Not an issue.

This thread started out with big blue 1 asking "Any idea's on any relatively healthy substitutes that can satisfy a sweet tooth?" Although "Iced peppermint is nice” is true I don’t think it will satisfy a sweet tooth.

What I think is really illogical is drinking 40g (160 cal) of sugar (probably high fructose corn syrup nowadays – it’s cheaper than sugar) in a 12 oz soft drink because of some idea that sugar substitutes are less healthy for you. Three cans of soda are almost ¼ of the total calories a woman should have a day and other than 36 oz of water, it contributes almost nothing good to nutrition.

PS: I prefer herbal Cinnamon Apple Spice once in a while when I have too much of the black caffeinated coffee I usually drink
You can always water down non diet cola with sparkling water if you absolutely have to have the taste of real cola. My favorite diet drink which I religiously have been making for years - Darjeeling tea spiced with clove, cinnamon stick and cardamon seeds. Boils a concentrated amount then when it is cooled off dilute into a big pitcher. The only problem is that I can't seem to find a caffeine free version of Darjeeling. It has flavor with no preservatives or sugar.

Have you looked at the back of the cans of the diet sodas to see the laundry list thats there. I'm going out on a limb and saying that the MD world is saying that a great deal of those"ingredients" are not healthy.

big blue1 said:
Have you looked at the back of the cans of the diet sodas to see the laundry list thats there. I'm going out on a limb and saying that the MD world is saying that a great deal of those"ingredients" are not healthy.
Me thinks that you are exaggerating a tad bit when you said "every MD I have ever seen basically says to stay away" so I suggest you not climb too far out on that limb.

My jar of diet snapple lists: tea, water, citric acid, aspartame, potassium citrate, natural flavors.

My can of diet pepsi lists: carbonated water, carmel color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, potassium benzocate, citric acid , natural flavors.

Other than aspartame, all these ingredients have been used in perhaps over a 100 years at soda fountains (ice cream soda floats, etc). Aspartame has been said to be the most tested of any food additive in the history of the FDA.

Not quite a laundry list that would concern the EPA if you spilled a can of soda on the ground.

Last edited:
I can say for a fact that the in the water treatment part of the plant where soft drinks are made the tanks are cleaned with some of the harshest chemicals known to man. There are certain aspects in all products that if we knew we would not consume it. There are things that are not on all labels.

fairemily said:
I can say for a fact that the in the water treatment part of the plant where soft drinks are made the tanks are cleaned with some of the harshest chemicals known to man. There are certain aspects in all products that if we knew we would not consume it. There are things that are not on all labels.
Absolutely.

Nor are the manufacturers legally required to disclose some of these ingredients. In fact, even w/some of the ingredients they are required to list, they don't have to list them w/any specificity - for e.g., ever wondered exactly what the hell's "natural flavors"???

Also, if the public ever became privy to some of the cases regarding "foreign objects" found in both Coke and Pepsi bottles/cans, I don't think you'd touch a soda ever again. It is no surprise that manufacturers strive to quickly settle these out of court.

So sit back, and enjoy blissful ignorance with a cold refreshing soda. :)

*Squeak!*

In restaurants we are all warned there could be shady buisness and it's the risk we all take but usually with a can of soda we do not question the sanitary conditions from where it was made.