I don't eat properly at all

fairemily said:
I can say for a fact that the in the water treatment part of the plant where soft drinks are made the tanks are cleaned with some of the harshest chemicals known to man. There are certain aspects in all products that if we knew we would not consume it. There are things that are not on all labels.
I expect the tanks to be cleaned with chemicals that kill all organisms present and remove residual that may taint the flavor of subsequent batches.

This is why I use my dishwasher at home: I use dishwasher detergent (a very harsh chemical that causes burns if in contact with skin) precisely because it kills all organisms present and remove residuals much better than the hand detergent I would use hand washing them.

So what is your point of your "fact"?

its_mousey said:
Absolutely.

Nor are the manufacturers legally required to disclose some of these ingredients. In fact, even w/some of the ingredients they are required to list, they don't have to list them w/any specificity - for e.g., ever wondered exactly what the hell's "natural flavors"???
Depends on the product. for lemon/lime soda it is an extraction of the flavor components from (real) lemons and limes; for cherry soda it is an extraction of the flavor components from cherries; for vanilla ice cream it is an extraction of the flavor components from vanilla beans. Got it?

its_mousey said:
Also, if the public ever became privy to some of the cases regarding "foreign objects" found in both Coke and Pepsi bottles/cans, I don't think you'd touch a soda ever again. It is no surprise that manufacturers strive to quickly settle these out of court.
Can you give me an example of ONE in the past few years? The only one I know of was the "finger" in Wendy's chili that turned out be be planted there by the person who bought the chili.
its_mousey said:
So sit back, and enjoy blissful ignorance with a cold refreshing soda. :)

*Squeak!*
Thank you - I will.

Last edited:
there's a common food dye, red #6 (or some number, forgot the exact number) used in a number of food products. the source of this food coloring is from a species of beetles with a red/brownish exoskeleton. They're mashed up and the resulting powder is collected and turned into this red food dye.

YUMMY!!!

genius said:
Depends on the product. for lemon/lime soda it is an extraction of the flavor components from (real) lemons and limes; for cherry soda it is an extraction of the flavor components from cherries; for vanilla ice cream it is an extraction of the flavor components from vanilla beans. Got it?
What about Cream of Leek soup ?????????????

genius said:
I expect the tanks to be cleaned with chemicals that kill all organisms present and remove residual that may taint the flavor of subsequent batches.

This is why I use my dishwasher at home: I use dishwasher detergent (a very harsh chemical that causes burns if in contact with skin) precisely because it kills all organisms present and remove residuals much better than the hand detergent I would use hand washing them.

So what is your point of your "fact"?
I don't have the luxury of a dishwasher but I can imagine the detergent used to clean household dishes is slightly more mild than the caustic stuff I was referring to (think of the scene in "Fight Club" and if you haven't seen it rent it now since it is a great film). These plants use the most cost effective products which is not so good to the body if residue is left in the beverage.

My point was to add another aspect of the dangers of soft drinks other than the ingredients. I thought that is turn this thread has made.

Mr. User Name said:
What about Cream of Leek soup ?????????????
Extract flavor elements from leeks and put them in the soup in addition to leeks.

Just so you don't ask:
Cream of Onion soup
Extract flavor elements from onions and put them in the soup in addition to onions.

Umm, do you get the idea?

If the company didn't want to use the natural flavoring e.g. artificially flavored vanilla ice-cream as is common with some of the cheaper brands, the would list artificial flavors INSTEAD of natural flavors.

It's not all that complicated and/or sinister.

fairemily said:
.... These plants use the most cost effective products which is not so good to the body if residue is left in the beverage...
Your logic fails me. Are you saying that if they used products that were less cost effective that it would be better for your body?

genius said:
Your logic fails me. Are you saying that if they used products that were less cost effective that it would be better for your body?
Cheaper prouct do not rinse off as well and are more likely to leave a residue in the finished product.

Genius, what about mock turtle soup? Huh? Huh?

I suppose you're going to tell me:

Mock Turtle Soup:
Cast aspersions upon the turtle until the little wussy cries. Extract flavor elements from said mocked turtle, and put them in said soup in addition to turtles

genius said:
Me thinks that you are exaggerating a tad bit when you said "every MD I have ever seen basically says to stay away" so I suggest you not climb too far out on that limb.

My jar of diet snapple lists: tea, water, citric acid, aspartame, potassium citrate, natural flavors.

My can of diet pepsi lists: carbonated water, carmel color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, potassium benzocate, citric acid , natural flavors.

Other than aspartame, all these ingredients have been used in perhaps over a 100 years at soda fountains (ice cream soda floats, etc). Aspartame has been said to be the most tested of any food additive in the history of the FDA.

Not quite a laundry list that would concern the EPA if you spilled a can of soda on the ground.
Yes, and a quick qoogle search brings up this study, <a href="http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/02/060213093019.htm">New Study Suggests Artificial Sweetener Causes Cancer In Rats At Levels Currently Approved For Humans</a> about aspertame. I believe that is the 'poison' referred to in this thread.

OTOH (as mentioned in the article linked to) numerous previous studies say there is no correlation between aspertame and cancer. This article says that's because those studies had less test subjects. I don't know which you should believe.

Me, I can't stand the diet stuff and refuse to eat/drink anything 'diet' or 'low-fat.' However, I am blessed with youth and a fast metabolism, and if anything could stand to gain a few pounds so googling is all I can offer.

genius said:

Can you give me an example of ONE in the past few years? The only one I know of was the "finger" in Wendy's chili that turned out be be planted there by the person who bought the chili.
Thank you - I will.
"Genius:"

"Components???" That doesn't offer any clearer definition than "natural flavoring." I believe the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations offers a more precise definition of "natural flavorant", which is:

"the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or any other edible portions of a plant, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof, whose primary function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional."

Mind you, the extraction of such oils and resins are done artificially. Mmmmm, sounds appetizing doesn't it? No wonder manufacturers would rather slap "natural flavors" on the can than type all of that stuff up - which brings me to my original point. Many consumers do not realize that the terminology utilized in the listing of ingredients are dictated by marketing considerations, in addition to purely informational purposes (as required by law).

As for cases about "foreign subtances" found in sodas, I was referring to lawsuits regarding same. Here's a smattering few of the published cases (and their citations):

Stumbo v. East KY Beverage Co., 230 S.W. 2d 106 (Kentucky)(condom); Mitchell v. Coca Cola Bottling Co., 200 NYS 2d 478 (New York)(insect); Reed v. Glasgow Coca-Cola Bottling Co. 229 S.W. 2d 138 (Virginia)(ground glass); Trumbley v. Coca-Cola Bottleing Co., 138 NYS2d 332 (New York)(rat); McCullen v. Pepsi Cola Bottling Co., 52 S.E.2d 257 (Virginia)(mouse); Hagan v. Coca-Cola Bottling Co., 804 So.2d 1234 (Florida)(condom); Vamos v. Coca-Cola Bottling Co., 627 NYS 2d 265 (New York) (AA batteries); Armstrong v. Pepsi-Cola Gen.Bottlers, 560 So.2d 67 (Louisianna)(shards of glass); Babb v. Newport News Coca-Cola Bottling Co., 57 S.E.2d 41 (Virginia)(decomposing snail); Perez v. Glenn Falls Coca-Cola Bottling Co., 291 NYS2d 918 (New York)(16" thread); and Teddler v. Pepsi-Cola, Bottling Co. of Raleigh, NC, 154 S.E.2d 337 (N.Carolina)(human bone fragments).

There are also hundreds of unpublished cases and cases that have been sealed or vacated at the behest of the manufacturers. Of course, this does not even include cases that manufacturers have settle out of court and are not available to the public.

Got it?

Keep drinking to your blissful ignorance and watch out for that errant nail.

*Squeak!*

its_mousey said:
"Genius:"...Keep drinking to your blissful ignorance and watch out for that errant nail....*Squeak!*
Anything that is manufactured has a defect rate, whether it is a car, a heart valve or a can of soda. Everyone who manufactures stuff (as I do in my company), sincerely tries to keep the defect rate as low as possible - its simply good for business. Not zero, but as low as practical. The reason we can't get to zero is as you approach zero the effort and costs involved head toward infinity. So if my product had one part per billion defect rate and cost a hundred times as much as my competitor, who only has one part per million (i.e. mine would be a million times "better"), no one would buy my product.

One person ( a 77 year old person) dies of e.coli poisoning from tainted spinach and everyone stops buying spinach. But about 100 people dies in car accidents EVERY FUCKING DAY in the US. As far as I know most people still drive to the food store to buy their food.

The people on this whore board I assume either stick their dicks into a place (or for the providers have someone’s dick stuck into them) that has a much, much greater than zero probability( and much, much more likely than having a piece of bone in their soda) of having serious if not fatal organisms.

Get real.

Just call me reckless, but I intend to really live on the edge and enjoy my can of diet pepsi.

Last edited:
genius said:
Just call me reckless, but I intend to really live on the edge and enjoy my can of diet pepsi.
Personally, my idea of "living on the edge" is driving 100 mph down the GS Parkway while getting a bbbjtc and sipping a thoroughly chilled diet pepsi w/a slice of lemon. To each his own I suppose. Cheers! :)

*Squeak!*

its_mousey said:
Personally, my idea of "living on the edge" is driving 100 mph down the GS Parkway while getting a bbbjtc and sipping a thoroughly chilled diet pepsi w/a slice of lemon.

*Squeak!*
You have to be totally nuts to even think of doing something like that.

Either that or you have a death wish.

Everybody, but everybody knows that lemons are sprayed with pesticides!

Cruising down the GSP last night after visiting my favorite sc in Paterson I came upon a nasty wreck. I could only think about Mousey as I took that sip of DC as I drove past saying a prayer for those poor folks.
RIP rodent, RIP...

Be Patient

Well I have started with Jello so we will see how long that lasts. These flavored iced teas: How much sugar is in them?. I have only had water for 6 weeks now and I kind of miss my diet soda or sugar free iced teas with lots of sweet & low.
I use to eat alot of meat & I completely cut it out of my diet, I started out vegetarian & now I'm vegan & I've never felt better, but my point is I missed it & craved it for months especially soda everything I drank didn't quench my thirst & I just wanted alot of soda but the more you go with out it the less you miss it & eventually you won't want it & the thought of eating or drinking it will make you alittle sick. So just be patient in the end it will be better for you.

As for eating at night along with what other people say you can't go wrong with fresh fruit & vegetables. Once you go to bed everything you ate or drank in the last 3 hrs will not digest properly & turn to fat.

Most things you want try to check the ingredients, my trainer/nutrionalist told me anything ending in "in" is a chemical which isn't good for you & anything ending in "tose" is sugar so alot of things say low sugar but is false & alot of things say fat free but to add taste they put a ton of different types of sugars that turn into fat.

<snip>

Most things you want try to check the ingredients, my trainer/nutrionalist told me anything ending in "in" is a chemical which isn't good for you & anything ending in "tose" is sugar so alot of things say low sugar but is false & alot of things say fat free but to add taste they put a ton of different types of sugars that turn into fat.
Like protein? Comatose? Beware (most) generalizations...

i used to drink a lot of soda as well. i finally got off of it when i started eating healthier. as i reduced the intake and ate better, i no longer desired soda. i realized that i was drinking soda before because i was really hungry. once i dropped the weight, i no longer craved soda.