Freestyle -- anything goes except ad-hominem remarks

...The indisputable fact is that when the civil rights acts were up for votes (see: H.R. 7152 passed in 1964), it was the democrats who comprised of about 75% of the nay votes.
Me thinks the author of this article would beg to differ... http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/28/republicans-party-of-civil-rights

I think where you need to be careful is by lumping "Dixecrats" in with the Northern Democrats who overwhelming supported the Civil Rights Act.

Me thinks the author of this article would beg to differ... http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/28/republicans-party-of-civil-rights

I think where you need to be careful is by lumping "Dixecrats" in with the Northern Democrats who overwhelming supported the Civil Rights Act.

Who cares what some author out for a spin thinks... the facts are the facts.

https://www*****track.us/congress/votes/88-1964/h182 (it's a .g o v site)

Almost three times as many dems voted no as pubs (93-35). A dem is a dem and a pub is a pub... we're not going to split hairs over this.

Why don't you preach to Emily who lumps all republicans together.

I am curious what Emily thinks of these 39.
------
I am not curious about what she thinks about the GOP trying to turn ALL WOMEN into broodmares.

I am not curious what she thinks of Darth Reagan creating EMLATA.

I am curious if I will get a straight answer or more grandstanding.

Ask a question; expect an answer. What could be more simple? How this possibly be a partisan approach?
I'm just going to make this statement then I'm done. I think is whole name changing this thread is desperate and childish. No offense to lightweight but you have behaved no better then him starting a thread when he was peeved at Ozzy and you should not be moderating a section with such a serious topic as politics and religion. You could have taken a mature approach and opened a freestyle any topic discusion thread but instead you took a cheap shot and sensationalized my handle and reputation to get yourself more contributors. You cannot be impartial and have proven to throw around the little power you have to suit your own far right wing agenda. You will probably delete this but not before you read that I'm seriously disturbed with your lack of better judgement. You have acted very badly just because you don't like what I write.

A dem is a dem and a pub is a pub... we're not going to split hairs over this.
If you truly believe acknowledging and/or recognizing the differences between "Democrats" such as Humphrey and Mansfield vs. Russell and Thurmond is "splitting hairs," you are either being disingenuous, for the sake of your argument or... I will allow you or anyone else, reading this, to fill in the blanks.

Times change as do political parties and what they stand for. I am pro-choise legislation wise but would never choose abortion. I also am all for gay civil union. This is America and everybody should have freedoms. However ... these have to be the least important issues to base any political decision. There are people who don't care that Obama is bankrupting this country but glad that bums can get free cell phones and health care, abortions at will, and that they can be gay and get married. Try to enjoy all that when the economy takes a humongous crap.

Times change as do political parties and what they stand for. I am pro-choise legislation wise but would never choose abortion. I also am all for gay civil union. This is America and everybody should have freedoms. However ... these have to be the least important issues to base any political decision. There are people who don't care that Obama is bankrupting this country but glad that bums can get free cell phones and health care, abortions at will, and that they can be gay and get married. Try to enjoy all that when the economy takes a humongous crap.
Democrats & Republicans both bankrupt the country when they are in office. In my life time the only president who left office with the deficit heading in the right direction was Clinton. We can't get rid of social programs and we can't get rid of our military. It would be stupid to do either!

If you truly believe acknowledging and/or recognizing the differences between "Democrats" such as Humphrey and Mansfield vs. Russell and Thurmond is "splitting hairs," you are either being disingenuous, for the sake of your argument or... I will allow you or anyone else, reading this, to fill in the blanks.
Sorry there were some democrats who didn't fit your bill. But you don't get to pick and choose who represents your party after the fact. They were elected as dems... they voted as dems..... they were dems. All you're doing is spinning history cause you didn't like it's results. You sound like Emily when she makes her argument that the dems are perfect.

Sorry there were some democrats who didn't fit your bill. But you don't get to pick and choose who represents your party after the fact. They were elected as dems... they voted as dems..... they were dems. All you're doing is spinning history cause you didn't like it's results. You sound like Emily when she makes her argument that the dems are perfect.
That's total bullshit, I never claimed that Democrats are perfect, no political party is perfect but Repulicans allowed a rouge group of religious ideological extremists to take over their party moving the whole scale to the far right. It's changing, in two very recent elections in red states the people choose the more moderate Republican over the Teapublican extremist.

Ozzy, on a side note as a mod of a topic that often gets heated who had disagreements with a member don't you find it immature that Duckman cannot cope with what I write and changed the name of this thread to be vindictive. I think he is acting like a typical conservative whiner, whenever they don't get their way they regress to schoolyard antics. I'm just like discussing political issues and yes I have my personal beliefs which are shared with millions of other people, I'm don't use politics as a venue to promote myself, I leave that people like Ted Cruz and Sarah Palin.

Steve, you don't have to choose abortion because you can never get pregnant and it's not in your right to decide for others. You are against social safety programs, where do you think the funds come from to cloth, feed provide healthcare for all the unwanted children you feel should be forced into this world? Abortion over adoption is always the smart and logical choice for unwanted pregnancies, ecologically, socially and morally especially in these uncertain times. I would rather never know I even existed then live a live knowing I was abandoned. Orphanages should only be for children that either lost their parents or had to get away from abusive ones, it should not be a dumping ground for the unwanted when abortion was an option. No overpopulated country thrives, that is a known facts

It doesn't matter what you think you believe. The only thing that matters is you vote in elected leaders who design laws oppressing right to choose (none of whom actually adopt) and oppressing the rights of same sex. There is no pro-choice pro-same sex Republicans anymore, the whole party is dominated extreme heartless ideological zealots.

Btw, the cell phone was debunked, it was a W. Bush program.

"Abortion over adoption is always the smart and logical choice."

I have some great friends that were adopted. Their parents were great people. I am shocked to hear those words.

Sometimes I lay back and stay away from slamming you Emily ... but that is the most fucked up thing I think I have heard yet on this board. To think you pose yourself as some sort of "progressive" intellectual.

1964 Civil Rights Act - Aye Votes

House Dem/Union - 144/152 (95%)
House GOP/Union - 137/161 (85%)
Senate Dem/Union - 45/46 (98%)
Senate GOP/Union - 27/32 (84%)

House Dem/Confed - 8/91 (9%)
House GOP/Confed - 0/11 (0%)
Senate Dem/Confed - 1/21 (5%)
Senate GOP/Confed - 0/1 (0%)

Taking into consideration, 8 Dem/Union House Reps out of 152 and 1 Dem/Union Senator out of 46 voted against the Civil Rights Act... yes, you are ten million percent correct when you say "some."

What the numbers above tell me is 1. the vote was based more on region than political affiliation and 2. more Democrats than Republicans voted "aye" and 3. why my family could not get served at a Richmond, VA Ho Jo in the summer of '64.

I'm just going to make this statement then I'm done. I think is whole name changing this thread is desperate and childish. No offense to lightweight but you have behaved no better then him starting a thread when he was peeved at Ozzy and you should not be moderating a section with such a serious topic as politics and religion. You could have taken a mature approach and opened a freestyle any topic discusion thread but instead you took a cheap shot and sensationalized my handle and reputation to get yourself more contributors. You cannot be impartial and have proven to throw around the little power you have to suit your own far right wing agenda. You will probably delete this but not before you read that I'm seriously disturbed with your lack of better judgement. You have acted very badly just because you don't like what I write.
Nope; not deleting this. It's a testament to my asking you an honest question and your going off topic instead of answering.

Democrats & Republicans both bankrupt the country when they are in office. In my life time the only president who left office with the deficit heading in the right direction was Clinton. We can't get rid of social programs and we can't get rid of our military. It would be stupid to do either!
Noting this was a Democratic president with a Republican congress. Maybe this type of duality is a model for the future.

Nope; not deleting this. It's a testament to my asking you an honest question and your going off topic instead of answering.
I was more concerned that you started a thread in my name with my name to answer any of your political questions.

You think I go off topic but it's not true, the Republican woman problem and ignorance towards my gender is the elephant in the room of all political discussions until they either change their misogynistic backward policies or prevent wonen from voting. Who cares about a slow website when half the population is being targeted for oppression. If conservatives keep ignoring the problem they will become obsolete along with all their other beliefs. John McCain told them to leave it alone but compulsion cannot be stopped, every place they hold any lawmaking control it's obsession over fetuses. How can I possibly take these weirdos seriously? They lost all credibility going on their misguided crusade. When I hear any conservative complain about anything all I can think of is legitimate rape, masterbating fetuses and their complete ignorance in basic female reproductive health. It's a hard thing for a woman to brush aside and take any other topic they bring up in a serious manner, I feel conservatives have the emotional intelligence of little children.

"Abortion over adoption is always the smart and logical choice."

I have some great friends that were adopted. Their parents were great people. I am shocked to hear those words.

Sometimes I lay back and stay away from slamming you Emily ... but that is the most fucked up thing I think I have heard yet on this board. To think you pose yourself as some sort of "progressive" intellectual.
So what if some people were adopted it doesn't erase that more are not and spend a life in the system or in abusive foster homes. I lived in an orphanage for a year and many of my friends there ended up dying from drug abuse or suicide, they couldn't shake knowing they were never wanted. My close friend there was adopted and when she couldn't be dressed like a doll anymore her adopted mother beat the shit out of her daily and eventually threw her back into the system. You live in a fantasy world of rainbows and balloons and don't understand the reality of what it is like to be abandoned by a parent. I wouldn't want to leave a child to that gamble of a lifetime of uncertainly. I'm not posing as anything, I'm just live in real world and know for every lucky kid who ends up in a great home there is a hundred that do not and I'm not comfortable with those odds. I might change my view if just one prominent anti choice conservative adopted. Santorum, Palin, Ryan, Cooch, Walker, Perry, Rand Paul, Franks, Huckabee, O'Reilly, Hannity, the list goes on and not one of them has an adopted children, I checked. Conservatives are do as I say not do as I do hypocrites. If you don't want a child then abortion is the only option, it's reckless and inhumane to create another person to leave up to chance that things might turn out for them. I'm sorry if you don't like my realty but I don't like how you support cutting the social safety programs that prevent the unwanted and unfortunate from living in squaller. You support the party that longs for the days of chimney sweepers and Joads, I happen care about the welfare of humans beyond the womb.

I was more concerned that you started a thread in my name with my name to answer any of your political questions.

You think I go off topic but it's not true, the Republican woman problem and ignorance towards my gender is the elephant in the room of all political discussions until they either change their misogynistic backward policies or prevent wonen from voting. Who cares about a slow website when half the population is being targeted for oppression. If conservatives keep ignoring the problem they will become obsolete along with all their other beliefs. John McCain told them to leave it alone but compulsion cannot be stopped, every place they hold any lawmaking control it's obsession over fetuses. How can I possibly take these weirdos seriously? They lost all credibility going on their misguided crusade. When I hear any conservative complain about anything all I can think of is legitimate rape, masterbating fetuses and their complete ignorance in basic female reproductive health. It's a hard thing for a woman to brush aside and take any other topic they bring up in a serious manner, I feel conservatives have the emotional intelligence of little children.
Still haven't answered the question; bloviated on a number of topics, yes. Answered the question? Haven't even tried.

Steve, besides the uncertainty of leaving children in a crap shoot they might be adopted by decent people and not end up in a hellish existence which is normally the case I'm also a bio centrist and believe we are overpopulating ourselves along with other species into extinction. I don't believe humans should feel entitled to do what we want with the Earth at the cost of destroying our ecosystem and consuming beyond our share. We are the only species that has the ability to control our population humanely and we should use it to its full potential not hinder it with religious superstitious based laws. In the orphanage was also many throw backs, children who were adopted at birth but when they weren't so cute anymore and had developed their own identity their adopted parents grew bored and signed then over to the state. Yes, there are good people but not enough to carry the burden of the adoption only world you envision, there isn't enough with the option to abort. There is also not enough funds and case workers watching over these children. Anti-choice wealthy conservatives like to spend money on superpacs not children.