Football

Otis Taylor? Nice!
So I guess you remember Len Dawson, Buck Buchanan and Curly Culp?
I started rooting for the Oakland Raiders in 1967 so this KC teams were our rivals.
Oh, yes, Billy, I remember those boys quite fondly, along with Elmo Wright, credited as the first football player to ever perform the end zone dance. In the middle, Willie Lanier, a stud of a linebacker. Ed Podolak, a white boy who could run. And of course Jan Stenerud, who matched up well against your Oakland's Ray Guy. Your John Madden against Hank Stram.

And I can never forget watching my Kansas City Chiefs losing the longest game in NFL history against the Miami Dolphins. That took place on Christmas Day, 1971. I watched it on a portable Hitachi 12 inch screen with rabbit ears. It was a seesaw battle for about 82 minutes.

Ed Podolak (number 14) (had like 350 yards for the day) returned a Miami kick 78 yards in the waning seconds of the regulation time limit and Lenny Dawson got it even closer to set up a chip shot for the sure-footed Jan Stenerud to kick it through to end it in the snowy blizzard conditions -- missed it -- went on for another 2 quarters of football and Yepremian the kicker for Miami hit a field goal winning the game and sending Miami to beat the Colts and eventually losing the Super Bowl to Dallas.

Aside from beating Joe Kapp's Vikings in Super Bowl IV, I've been waiting since 1971 for the boys to make it back.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Oh, yes, Billy, I remember those boys quite fondly, along with Elmo Wright, credited as the first football player to ever perform the end zone dance. In the middle, Willie Lanier, a stud of a linebacker. Ed Podolak, a white boy who could run. And of course Jan Stenerud, who matched up well against your Oakland's Ray Guy. Your John Madden against Hank Stram.

And I can never forget watching my Kansas City Chiefs losing the longest game in NFL history against the Miami Dolphins. That took place on Christmas Day, 1971. I watched it on a portable Hitachi 12 inch screen with rabbit ears. It was a seesaw battle for about 82 minutes.

Ed Podolak (number 14) (had like 350 yards for the day) returned a Miami kick 78 yards in the waning seconds of the regulation time limit and Lenny Dawson got it even closer to set up a chip shot for the sure-footed Jan Stenerud to kick it through to end it in the snowy blizzard conditions -- missed it -- went on for another 2 quarters of football and Yepremian the kicker for Miami hit a field goal winning the game and sending Miami to beat the Colts and eventually losing the Super Bowl to Dallas.

Aside from beating Joe Kapp's Vikings in Super Bowl IV, I've been waiting since 1971 for the boys to make it back.
Great post Mugi.

How do you remember details like that?? I've been watching so many sports for 50 years, I can't remember details about games.

How do you remember details like that?? I've been watching so many sports for 50 years, I can't remember details about games.
Not all the games do I have that recall. It is just that some events are so intense and your interest is so riveted that it leaves an indelible imprint on your mind and heart.

This particular game was on Christmas Day and it was the longest game in the history of the NFL and I was a just a kid and sports was all I cared about and I was practically inside the mini TV set feeling all the passion and neither team had any quit in them. Very exciting for a young boy.

And those red uniforms of the Chiefs and the mud and the snow and Christmas Day and seeing my Chiefs forced into double overtime by a botched chip shot by one of the premier kickers of his day that could have ended the game --- absolutely unforgettable. And now to see the Chiefs riding high -- oh, man, it doesn't get any better than this!!!!!!!!!

You guys check out that halftime show??Wow
Chiefs hung in there for three quarters and then gave the Kansas City Tomahawk Chop to the 49ers in the last 7 minutes of the Super Bowl.

The 49ers got lulled into coasting into victory and out of nowhere, The American Indian Chant took over the KC Chiefs' Wild Spirit and a dazzling display of play-calling, Offense, Defense and shear will to win it for Clark Hunt's Daddy, Lamar Hunt. (KC got a little help from the zebras also)

That boy, Mahomes, is just a good kid --- looks like a boy just doing what Papa Andy Reid says and The Honey Badger riled up the defense. Total team effort by KC.

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS, SUPER BOWL CHAMPS ---- just love it!!!!!!!!!

Can’t let it go without mentioning it. Great NFL Football weekend.

Tom Brady, pretty gracious in defeat. Almost pulled out another Brady miracle after a bad first half. Matt Stafford almost blew it, but when it counted, he pulled himself together and was calm, cool, a real gunslinger.

Feel bad for Aaron Rogers, losing to Jimmy G, after Rogers’ spectacular season.

Joe Burrow and Cincy, taking down Vrabel’s Titans and stifling Big Henry, incredible. Burrow has to be in the discussion for the elite QB’s, along with Mahomes and Josh Allen.

Which brings up those two, Mahomes and Josh Allen, in the quintessential AFC Wild West shoot out in Arrowhead Stadium.

Those two fearless warriors put on a show for the ages that had to be settled in overtime. And the Bills seething with revenge will have to wait yet another season.

The Kansas City Chiefs have a roster of speed demons and stellar athletes that dazzle, and Andy Reid is a genius.

I watched the game on the KC Chiefs’ app, and I am a fan since the 60’s. The app is the next best thing to being in Arrowhead, once recorded during a game as the loudest decibel reading on this planet earth.

The app is not like a national television broadcast, in that it is so extremely Kansas City Chiefs biased. So much fun to hear local advertising for Kansas City car dealerships and restaurants. You really feel like being in the Chief’s Nation brotherhood. So incredibly authentic American.

Never knew until the last second who would win, with the Chief’s kicker, Butker, having a bad night, missing a couple, but putting the ball through the uprights to secure the victory.

Mighty good football.

Can’t let it go without mentioning it. Great NFL Football weekend.

Tom Brady, pretty gracious in defeat. Almost pulled out another Brady miracle after a bad first half. Matt Stafford almost blew it, but when it counted, he pulled himself together and was calm, cool, a real gunslinger.

Feel bad for Aaron Rogers, losing to Jimmy G, after Rogers’ spectacular season.

Joe Burrow and Cincy, taking down Vrabel’s Titans and stifling Big Henry, incredible. Burrow has to be in the discussion for the elite QB’s, along with Mahomes and Josh Allen.

Which brings up those two, Mahomes and Josh Allen, in the quintessential AFC Wild West shoot out in Arrowhead Stadium.

Those two fearless warriors put on a show for the ages that had to be settled in overtime. And the Bills seething with revenge will have to wait yet another season.

The Kansas City Chiefs have a roster of speed demons and stellar athletes that dazzle, and Andy Reid is a genius.

I watched the game on the KC Chiefs’ app, and I am a fan since the 60’s. The app is the next best thing to being in Arrowhead, once recorded during a game as the loudest decibel reading on this planet earth.

The app is not like a national television broadcast, in that it is so extremely Kansas City Chiefs biased. So much fun to hear local advertising for Kansas City car dealerships and restaurants. You really feel like being in the Chief’s Nation brotherhood. So incredibly authentic American.

Never knew until the last second who would win, with the Chief’s kicker, Butker, having a bad night, missing a couple, but putting the ball through the uprights to secure the victory.

Mighty good football.
Can someone tell me what Todd Bowles is thinking in the last seconds of that game, leaving Kupp one on one, twice and sending a blitz? WTF?! That loss is all on Bowles, thats what I remember as a Jets fan during his tenure as HC. Laughable. Would have liked to have seen Brady go out on top with 1 more title. Sounds like he might retire. I always hated the guy, but he is a warrior. BEST QB I have seen play ever. Regardless of this "gate" or that "gate", was super clutch. His discipline in maintaining the level of play he has into his age 44 is remarkable.

Fuck Rogers is what I have to say. He was awful, looked like he didn't want to be there. ZERO intensity or passion in his play. He looked for Adams or Jones all night and that was it. Either skinny posts to Adams or screens to Jones. That was a TERRIBLE loss for that franchise. Time for him to kick rocks and move on to another team or retire. He asked for his security blanky in Cobb and didn't target him once.Lazard had 1 target and that didn't come until the 4th quarter. He didn't have to deal with that much pressure. Just couldn't get it done, thus continuing the trend that he blinks in the bigger games. 49ers offense was atrocious, Bad loss.

I took Cincy on the money line, Titans never seemed like a #1 seed to me. They're loaded with talent but need an upgrade at QB BADLY, Rogers? @ Mugi, Burrow is becoming a stud. Like this kid and Hebert in LA.

KC-Buffalo game was one of the best all years. Gotta feel for the Bills and their fans. I was pulling for them, but tough to do it in Arrowhead and that juggernaut of an Offense. Back and forth all game, into OT, Chiefs score game over. Seems unfair that Bills don't at least get a shot to try and answer. I think rule will change.

GO CINCY!!!

I agree with most of your great comments, except you can’t blame Aaron Rogers for appearing to have no heart. He always looks dull and sedated, without emotion, but highly intelligent. Even the year he won the SB, he was the same aloof dude.

But, you are right, a golden opportunity, he did miss. Jimmy G was playing with a bad finger on his throwing hand.

Aaron is 38 and talking retirement. But he has at least a couple of solid years ahead of him. GB no longer a good fit.

I am a Jets/Giants fan, so I was never enamored by Brady. But, his career speaks volumes, and nobody comes close to his body of work, ever.

But, like Michael Jordan did in basketball, Brady did in football, paving the way and setting a new standard for these young stud QB’s, like Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Hebert, and the like. The Brady void has already been filled.

But, like Muhammad Ali retiring, there is some sadness not having Brady around to either love or hate, but always to be in awe of.

Titans were a force. Maybe Tannehill is a weak link but I have also never seen Derrick Henry come up big in post regular season play.

I have seen Mahomes marvel at the accomplishments of Joe Burrow. Should be as good a game as the Bills’ game.

But, that Bills’ game had most of the football pundits predicting the Bills over KC. And despite the missed extra point and missed field goal, KC showed tremendous resilience. Being an old KC fan, I am enjoying this ripple in the history of the franchise after so many years of drought.

They will need to address it in the off season.
I think they should play the whole 15 minutes
Best is to flip the coin to initiate OT, give the winner of the OT coin-toss a shot to score a TD, FG or nothing.

Then allow the opposite team a chance to respond, and at that point, “sudden-death” initiates. If the opposite team merely ties, you play on until the first team to create a lead is the winner.

And, if a touchback occurs after the OT coin-toss by the opposite team, the opposite team does not win the game, but results in a standard kickoff, allowing the receiving team an opportunity to score. If they fail to score, “sudden death” applies and the team that scored the touchback wins.

Best is to flip the coin to initiate OT, give the winner of the OT coin-toss a shot to score a TD, FG or nothing.

Then allow the opposite team a chance to respond, and at that point, “sudden-death” initiates. If the opposite team merely ties, you play on until the first team to create a lead is the winner.

And, if a touchback occurs after the OT coin-toss by the opposite team, the opposite team does not win the game, but results in a standard kickoff, allowing the receiving team an opportunity to score. If they fail to score, “sudden death” applies and the team that scored the touchback wins.

*****Sorry, Typo in the sentence “And, if a touchback occurs…”

Correction: “And, if a 2 point safety occurs…”