Fast Food Favs - past and present

If your're heading to/from Boston there is a place called The Travelers Restaurant right off exit 74 on I84. Family owned, decent food and drink at very reasonable prices — better alternative IMHO than the usual fast food joints (if you really insist on a hamburger w/fries, coleslaw and pickle, theirs is very good but there are good meals such as Reuben sandwiches, Sauerbraten to large salads topped with protein of your choice). This is not a fast food place with actual tables and views outside where they have bird feeders and you can watch local fauna (song birds, squirrels, chipmunks.)

Service is very fast. Plus the place is literally loaded (on shelves in the eating area and in a completely full of books basement) with used books and you get one free with each meal. Signed photos on the walls of the many celebrities (actors, authors,) who have frequented the place over the years.

Corny, yeah, but a nice refuge from the fast food joints and hoi polloi that frequent such when you need a meal/driving break and don't want to break the bank.

I found a 1st printing in perfect shape of The Complete Book of Running by James E. Fixx on my last stop there.

The Log Cabin restaurant on 44 in Barkhamsted Connecticut near the Pleasant valley drive in. You find some hidden gems if you do a little research before you embark on your trip

My favorite fast food that's no longer around were the Double R Bar Burgers from Roy Rogers. Miss them! For fast food that still is available, nothing beats a configurable Bombay Bowl from Clay Oven Halal in Hauppauge. You get two good meals out of it for $10!
They still got Roy Rogers in Central Jersey i was surprised

If any of you gentlemen feel brave and are in Brooklyn or Queens any sidewalk jerk chicken stand beats fast food fried yardbird. Find one that has festival balls too.

One of my favorites is White Manna in Hackensack. Small burgers, like White Castle, but cooked on a griddle right in front of you instead of steamed. Four of those, an order of fries - well done, please - and a birch beer, and life is good!

One of my favorites is White Manna in Hackensack. Small burgers, like White Castle, but cooked on a griddle right in front of you instead of steamed. Four of those, an order of fries - well done, please - and a birch beer, and life is good!
I was working near WM all of 2020. Once I tried their sliders, I went at least once a week on the way home. I just couldn't keep the car from turning into the lot.

Anyone remember "Big Barry's" steakhouse/saloon gimmick. I believe there were 2-3 on the Island, I use to hit the one up in Rocky Point, then head over to that strip club near the old drive in movie theatre. If anyone could remember the name of that strip club, kudos!
The main Big Barry’s was across the street from The Good Steer near the Smithhaven mall. I was a kid and I freaked out when I saw him in real life after seeing him in all his tv ads.

Also Cookies was in the tutor village mall in stony Brook, where where the soup dumpling place is. All you could eat peel and eat shrimp. Lots of local adds, Cookie looked like Jack Klugman.