Fast Food Favs - past and present

Defining fast food as food that you go into the place and leave with our food in a couple of minutes:

The only fast food I've had in past 10 years is sushi from Hmart. Prepared that morning in time for lunch. Alaska rolls are like $6 and a double size platter with mixed fish is under $10. you can pick up a container of seaweed for couple of bucks. For those of you who don't want it raw (that's me — but not talking about lunch) they have various stuff like shrimp, crab etc.

I've been to Panera couple of times when on a long road trip but not really fast food although under $10 for decent meal)

This is the Hicksville Hmart (easy on/off NS or 495) so can't vouch for queens hmart off NB
Hmart I've been to several in North Jersey. They have food to go and they have some small stands to buy food from the pork buns and ramen is from the stands. The other 2 obviously are to go. The Ft Lee. Hmarts are better than the Paramus and Little Ferry Hmarts. That shouldn't be surprising as Ft Lee is heavily Korean demographic wise.

Attachments

After I typed that out I figured someone might make the connection :p

Kinda why I added that last sentence, they were already on the outs by the time they let us do that.
They were just happy to have people in the building.
Both places were falling apart, rips in the cushions of the booths, stuff like that.

They weren't putting any money into either one.

Also the kids were like six and under, two of them I believe we're 3 and under.
By saying that "two of them I believe we're 3 and under" I infer that you are implying that since they were so young that the food they ate (that you weren't paying for) was no big deal to the company.

I worked my way thru college as a waiter (nice place) and when I got stuck with a day shift and people brought in their toddlers, a lot of time had to be spent (time=money) cleaning up the pile of food and liquids dropped on the floor around the kids when the table vacated. I can't imagine it would have been any different at Ponderosa and Sizzler.

Ps. My buddies, who were also classmates, made fun of me for being a waiter instead of as technical interns as they did (they made 2X the min wage and didn't have to work weekend nites (where the real business $ was). The snickering stopped when they found out that my take home CASH was 10X+ what their gross earning before taxes was.

Plus even though the sat nite shift ended at 2am (while they were out with their gf's) I would then hang with some of the waitresses who could be, ahem, very very friendly.

Anyway, back to Fast Food Fav's

Do any of you guys remember Links Log cabin in Centerport?

Complete humongous chop sirloin burger with all the usual sides at a real restaurant table with metal cutlery for $1.95. Draught Michelob was 25¢ and if you were on a tight budget, Rheingold was 15¢

By saying that "two of them I believe we're 3 and under" I infer that you are implying that since they were so young that the food they ate (that you weren't paying for) was no big deal to the company.

I worked my way thru college as a waiter (nice place) and when I got stuck with a day shift and people brought in their toddlers, a lot of time had to be spent (time=money) cleaning up the pile of food and liquids dropped on the floor around the kids when the table vacated. I can't imagine it would have been any different at Ponderosa and Sizzler.

Ps. My buddies, who were also classmates, made fun of me for being a waiter instead of as technical interns as they did (they made 2X the min wage and didn't have to work weekend nites (where the real business $ was). The snickering stopped when they found out that my take home CASH was 10X+ what their gross earning before taxes was.

Plus even though the sat nite shift ended at 2am (while they were out with their gf's) I would then hang with some of the waitresses who could be, ahem, very very friendly.

Complete humongous chop sirloin burger with all the usual sides at a real restaurant table with metal cutlery for $1.95. Draught Michelob was 25¢ and if you were on a tight budget, Rheingold was 15¢
WOW! Now links is going back a ways! Can't believe you mentioned that, I was there many time, total blast from the past. Place burned down if I recall correctly. Now is a bunch of condo's. The draught Michelob were awesome in that unique looking Michelob glass.

It was spelled Linck's. I know because I still have the menu and remember it well. I was a young kid and I remember we went for the Prime Ribs. A few years ago we were cleaning out drawers in my parent's house and I found the menu. Here it is: 20210806_153410.jpg 20210806_153430.jpg 20210806_153440.jpg 20210806_153501.jpg

Anyone remember "Big Barry's" steakhouse/saloon gimmick. I believe there were 2-3 on the Island, I use to hit the one up in Rocky Point, then head over to that strip club near the old drive in movie theatre. If anyone could remember the name of that strip club, kudos!

It was spelled Linck's. I know because I still have the menu and remember it well. I was a young kid and I remember we went for the Prime Ribs. A few years ago we were cleaning out drawers in my parent's house and I found the menu. Here it is: View attachment 9076 View attachment 9077 View attachment 9078 View attachment 9079
I stand corrected on the spelling. It burned a couple of times with the last time in 1981. It had been closed for 2 years or so before the last fire.

Reminds me of the old joke:
Two, substitute your nationality/religion/ethnicity of choice guys were sitting by the pool down in Florida.
So
substitute appropriate ethnicity name says to substitute 2nd appropriate ethnicity name "So tell me how can you afford this place."

The other guy replies "My business had a terrible fire and I decided to call it quits and just collect the insurance money."

The 1st guy says "I had a similar situation but it was a flood that destroyed the business"

The other guys has a puzzled look on his face and asks "So tell me, how does one start a flood"

These are fast food places I remember from my youth.
I remember WETSON'S on Old Country Road in Hicksville.
They had great shakes, fries and burgers. It became a record store, but I don't know what it is now.

Continuing east on Old Country rd., JACK IN THE BOX in Plainview. I think it is a bank now.
Open 24 hours. Taco Tuesday's. Fries, Onion rings or Frings (half fries & half onion rings).
Drive thru Talking into the clown.

Also Continuing east on Old Country rd, Bic's (really good food, thick shakes) in Plainview.
Bic's closed and became HARDEE'S. Decent burgers from what I remember.
Benson burgers home of the happy hobo!

Its the "Roscoe Diner"... famous because of its proximity to the Beaverkill river, where fly fishing enthusiasts who stayed in the Antrim Lodge.. would go to fuel up before opening day for trout, and return there after an exhausting day tossing flies to unsuspecting fish..

billyS

Reign of Terror
Its the "Roscoe Diner"... famous because of its proximity to the Beaverkill river, where fly fishing enthusiasts who stayed in the Antrim Lodge.. would go to fuel up before opening day for trout, and return there after an exhausting day tossing flies to unsuspecting fish..
Thanks for supplying the proper spelling!