Does she really like you?

Re: Why it matters (to the utility of UG)

Originally posted by Wwanderer
And, I think that this particular thread makes this drift particularly vivid. It is really too bad.

-Ww
Or, to put it another way, Ozzy is right.

thorn

during our o so long conversations and many many many evenings of intimate discourse in which we prolongingly discussed a myriad of eventful and current issues and which you were instructive of the numerous baroque and mundane matters i feel that there was indeed a juncture of minds and that loss can only be described as one of a computer crashing.

Last edited:
once a voyeur, always a voyeur

i want to look away from the trainwreck but can't
i hate my schadenfreude sometimes
(hmmmmmm, maybe some of this black hashish will help)

maybe you should have schadenfreude about your schadenfreude.

listen, don't take it so seriously. it's not real. it's just a joke. get it?

i personally wish i could be smoking opium on a violet velvet fainting couch.

i'd LOVE to spend my days doing that.

Last edited:
Originally posted by h. von bingen

i personally wish i could be smoking opium on a violet velvet fainting couch.

i'd LOVE to spend my days doing that.

maybe youd fare better than I did, but if you do start doing this, eat alot of prunes. (no couch for me though)

please don't RUIN my opium dream.

i must say opiates don't have that effect on me although i've heard they do. maybe one day i'll tell you about the one (and only) time i did (snorted) heroin, and i forgot a movie crew was coming to my apartment to shoot a movie. it was pretty hilarious. luckily i was young and cute, and the assistant director put me to bed in his loft on duane street.

when i first went to paris (like 20 years ago), we went to a couple of lush opium dens. they were really pretty fun.

are there (nice) opium dens in new york do you suppose?

Last edited:
I used my parents basement, the den was always full of my siblings toys, and the living room had the TV set where the family watched together.

Re: thorn

Originally posted by h. von bingen
during our o so long conversations and many many many evenings of intimate discourse in which we prolongingly discussed a myriad of eventful and current issues and which you were instructive of the numerous baroque and mundane matters i feel that there was indeed a juncture of minds and that loss can only be described as one of a computer crashing.
HvB, I would be lying if I said that our past discourse was anything other then enlightening. Exchanges with others, particularly our intellectual betters, force the mind to expand and make room for new enrichments.

I thank you, as I thank a number of others present here with whom I have exchanged impressions over the years, for synapsis formed that I might not have had otherwise.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In a discussion among friends recently we felt our way though a series of intellectual tunnels to a spot in that labyrinth that had specifically to do with what we have been discussing here. What I commented to them on the topic I will paraphrase here, now:

I have never claimed to be anything other then a barbarian who lucked upon the idea that erudition could feed a man the same way the sweat of his manual labors might. "Gladly would he learn and gladly teach.", has not been the aphorism I've chosen to build my life around. Knowledge I have sought has always been a means to an end. If I have attempted to gather more unto myself it is simply the act of a man hoarding resources so as to be a better match for those with whom I am in competition.

However I noted that when one attempts to acquire knowledge, for whatever reason and contines to use it, thus passing it though the filter of experience, one can not avoid picking up a little wisedom here and there. And a little, perhaps very little, I have managed to come across in my travels has smoothed rough edges and added a patina of civility.

As much as I am sure I don't know, I have learned this much though. There is a class of people, whether they come about though nature, nurture or both I have no idea, that are true thinkers. Intellectual men and women who have a gift for taking the raw material of information and turning it into knowledge and, perhaps, even wisedom. I have a great deal of respect for these people for, as I see it, they hold the future of the world in the palm of their hand. Great science, philosophy, works of literature, what have you, are the domain of these individuals. The ability to create patterns of thought that might move an entire civilization down a particular path rest with those that don that mantle.

Because I hold people such as these in such high regard I, perhaps unfairly, also hold them to a higher standard. I expect them to have a certain amount of humility that must surely come with possessing knowledge, and wisedom, beyond that of others not similarly gifted. They are not allowed to be, at least not in my eyes, simply little bits of protoplasm bumping aimlessly about, careless in how what they do effect those around them.

So similarly as Judeo-Christian concepts teach that those who profess to testify in the name of the Lord must expect serious consequences should their testimony be false; so certainly must that concept and their penalties contrast, within the secular world, to those who make utterences while holding themselves out to be "intellectuals".

Just something to chew on.

Careful prophet, least ye be labeled a heretic.

There are those who have burned for less.

Poor, poor, Clement V. Certainly a man who knew the law and had a sense of what justice was, but failed to be able to impart either due to his being hampered by a weak and vacillating character.

Some of us who might considered ourselves modern secular "pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici" would, like our forebears, be burned rather then renounce our ideals.

justme

homo economicus
Originally posted by Confused
I don't dig on the emoticons because they're crutches. If one cannot properly and accurately express mood and emotions, well, then they should try harder.
That's about it for me, too.

That is so fucking ridiculous! "properly and accurately" express mood and emotions? On an internet forum? And you're the arbiter of others' moods and emotions?

It's even more ridiculous coming from people who use the word "Ditto" so often!

Do you not like the use of exclamation points either?