Dental Dilemma

They should check your bite for any "interferences" meaning the dentist will have you close and will ask you to grind your teeth in all different directions with a piece of carbon paper. If there are any interferences, the dentist will adjust accordingly

If the veneer keeps popping off, then either:
1. improper cementation of the veneer OR
2. bad worksmanship on the lab that made the veneer /bad impression taken by the dentist OR
3. you have a pretty strong bite..either you clench your teeth or grind them at night.. then you should wear a niteguard..you can buy them at the drugstore or just wear your bleaching tray if u bleach your teeth

just your friendly public service announcement..amazing what kind of info you can find on the internet heh heh

They should check your bite for any "interferences" meaning the dentist will have you close and will ask you to grind your teeth in all different directions with a piece of carbon paper. If there are any interferences, the dentist will adjust accordingly

If the veneer keeps popping off, then either:
1. improper cementation of the veneer OR
2. bad worksmanship on the lab that made the veneer /bad impression taken by the dentist OR
3. you have a pretty strong bite..either you clench your teeth or grind them at night.. then you should wear a niteguard..you can buy them at the drugstore or just wear your bleaching tray if u bleach your teeth

just your friendly public service announcement..amazing what kind of info you can find on the internet heh heh

There is more to the story. When the original veneer cracked I should have been fitted for a crown not a new veneer since it was on a tooth that I grind. I am now going to get a crown made and held at the office so when this one goes again they will be ready to replace it with the right cover. So there was incompetence but I don't want to cause a scandal since they have always been really nice to me and the dentist that made the mistake is not there anymore. I cannot wear a night guard, I had one and kept taking it off in my sleep. I hate the way it feels.

FYI...

If your grinding forces are pretty strong-extreme..the dentist will probably place a PFM (Porcelain fused to metal ) The white part (porcelain) on the outside for esthetics with the metal on the inside for strength. The drawback is if your gum recedes alot, you will see a black margin where the crown and tooth meets..
The ways to counteract this would be
1. when he/she cuts the tooth down, the dentist will place the margin where the tooth and crown meet deep under the gum AND/OR
2. the metal used for the metal part of the crown is gold type alloy or gold looking alloy. they dont use pure gold now.. The gold type alloy prevents the "line" as opposed if they used a nickel or silver looking metal alloy..where you would get that black line..

IF your grinding forces ARE NOT THAT EXCESSIVE, the ultimate solution would be AN ALL PORCELAIN crown without the metal. Then you dont have to worry about that black line crap even if your gum recedes

Last edited:
FYI...

If your grinding forces are pretty strong-extreme..the dentist will probably place a PFM (Porcelain fused to metal ) The white part (porcelain) on the outside for esthetics with the metal on the inside for strength. The drawback is if your gum recedes alot, you will see a black margin where the crown and tooth meets..
1. when he/she cuts the tooth down, the dentist will place the margin where the tooth and crown meet deep under the gum AND/OR
2. the metal used for the metal part of the crown is gold type alloy or gold looking alloy. they dont use pure gold now.. The gold type alloy prevents the "line" as opposed if they used a nickel or silver looking metal alloy..where you would get that black line..

IF your grinding forces ARE NOT THAT EXCESSIVE, the ultimate solution would be AN ALL PORCELAIN crown without the metal. Then you dont have to worry about that black line crap even if your gum recedes
Tommy,

Are you a dentist?

FYI...

I will ask for an all porcelain crown then. I need a few others. I had a very nice but overzealous dentist as a child and I think he went a little cavity crazy. I loved the gas and his office smelled nice so I didn't care. I need crowns on all those teeth he made look like Swiss cheese. I trust this guy I went to yesterday, he actually assisted on my original veneers years ago which apparently was a big deal since it was the founding dentist of the practice last job. He remembered details of the procedure and I felt comfortable he cared that I get the best care. Thank you for all your good advice.

No problem...
If you get the all porcelain crowns, make sure you're a suitable candidate as I explained before..or else it will come off or worse, fracture.
Im sure the dentist who is treating you now knows what to do and you're in good hands.

No problem...
If you get the all porcelain crowns, make sure you're a suitable candidate as I explained before..or else it will come off or worse, fracture.
Im sure the dentist who is treating you now knows what to do and you're in good hands.
Well this dentist said I should have had a crown so he went against his colleague work so I do trust him because he was honest. He could have fit me for a new veneer only for it to fall off again and I would not have know any better.