Dental Dilemma

I recently had my very first cavity filled in between two of my molars. Everything was fine until a chunk of the filling broke off while I was eating something crunchy, at which point I began getting tons of food stuck between my two back teeth right where the broken filling was. I went to see my dentist (same guy) who "repaired" it and then assured me that the food problem wouldn't be an issue anymore. No such luck. The two molars are now so close together that I can barely get a thin piece of floss in between, and chewing on that side of my mouth has become so uncomfortable and such a hassle that I can't fully enjoy meals anymore. I could probably feed a small child with the amount of shit that gets stuck back there every time I eat anything.

I'm glad the cavity is sealed up and all, but this is ridiculous. I don't know what to do... should I even bother going back to this guy again? Should I just say fuck the expense and go find another (more competent) dentist? Something doesn't feel right; my gums hurt all the time back there. I can't chew gum or suck dick. Help!

I recently had my very first cavity filled in between two of my molars. Everything was fine until a chunk of the filling broke off while I was eating something crunchy, at which point I began getting tons of food stuck between my two back teeth right where the broken filling was. I went to see my dentist (same guy) who "repaired" it and then assured me that the food problem wouldn't be an issue anymore. No such luck. The two molars are now so close together that I can barely get a thin piece of floss in between, and chewing on that side of my mouth has become so uncomfortable and such a hassle that I can't fully enjoy meals anymore. I could probably feed a small child with the amount of shit that gets stuck back there every time I eat anything.

I'm glad the cavity is sealed up and all, but this is ridiculous. I don't know what to do... should I even bother going back to this guy again? Should I just say fuck the expense and go find another (more competent) dentist? Something doesn't feel right; my gums hurt all the time back there.
Damn girl, sorry to hear that. If you truly feel this guy is incompetent (it sure sounds like he is), just go find another dentist. If you want to give him the benefit of the doubt, that's your call, but just make sure you get it taken care of. That's a shitty situation to be in. Not being able to enjoy a good meal is a drag, to say the least.

I can't chew gum or suck dick. Help!
YIKES!! Now that's serious. And hey, if you need to test your skills out after you get it taken care of, well you know I'll help you pay off that dental bill ;)

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Eddy has a dentist that just did his entire mouth. You can even learn about "Scientology" and that bunk. You absolutely have to find another dentist. The only medical professional that I would recommend just happens to be my dentist. I have been going to him since I was seven-years-old. He is semi-retired right now; just goes into the office on Thursday's.

He doesn't take any insurance, you have to submit it yourself. But, he is that good. In Wantagh on Wantagh Avenue. I live in Queens and still drive out there.

That being said, you have to ask people that you trust if they can recommend someone. Good luck!

Gavy

I use these guys and I'm very happy with their services

NYU Dental Faculty Practice
418 Lafayette Street, Ste 350
New York, NY 10211-2738

(212) 443-1313

I'm a little out of the region, but i appreciate all the advice guys. I have another appt. at the same dentist's office next week for a simple cleaning (hard to screw that up) so I'll voice my concerns to him then. I guess I should have shopped around a bit before deciding to just go to the place accross the street from me. If it continues to bug me, I'll go find someone else to take care of it. It's just impossible to tell sometimes if someone's gonna do a good job or not.

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
Ask somebody you know who's had a fair amount of work done and who's happy with it for a recommendation.

FWIW, you can sue a dentist for malpractice, the same as you could sue a medical doctor. A firm I worked for years ago did a lot of dental malpractice defense.

If you are experiencing chronic pain on that side of your mouth, you really need to get that fixed--correctly-- pronto. You owe it to yourself to find a really good dentist to check it out. Along the lines of JB_R's suggestion, if your area has a dental school, go to see the one of the faculty. To the extent possible, ignore the cost of finding out what the problem is and fixing it.

When you are done, you should present the bill to your first dentist and insist he cover what you paid to fix his mistake and to refund what he billed you for the defective work. Remind him that, whatever he thinks the merits are, his malpractice insurance premiums will go up if you sue him (that is, no matter who prevails he will have to notify his carrier of the "occurrence" [the event exposing him to possible liability] and your claim). Unless this guy sets up his dental chair in an alley each morning, it is very,very unlikely that he does not have malpractice insurance. Depending on where you are, insurance may be required to practice dentistry.

While you're figuring out who to see, get a Water Pik(R) to flush out the food residue (assuming they're still being made).
You know, I was considering doing just that. I've basically just been using a tremendous amount of dental floss. My bf jokes that if I'm ever abducted he can just follow the trail of used dental floss to locate me.

yep...they are still around

While you're figuring out who to see, get a Water Pik(R) to flush out the food residue (assuming they're still being made).
and I love Water Pik.

When my kids had to wear braces for couple years, I made them a solution of warm water and listerine, because the toothbrushes would get ragged and caught a lot.

They still use it, after they floss.

I have a protable cordless one I carry everywhere...is great.

Well, I finally got my teeth fixed by another dentist who I was referred to by a friend. Boy- what a difference a little competance makes! He removed the old dentist's work and then painstakingly rebuffed and filled everything; it took a couple hours but I'm very satisfied with the result. No more food chunks! Plus, the new dentist discovered after removing the old fillings that there were areas of decay the had not been completely cleaned out the first time. Thank God I was able to get this problem fixed properly.

I'm glad everything worked out!

It sounds like you found a GREAT dentist. I'm glad he was able to fix your tooth and remove the decay.

I'd definitely contact the first dentist and present him with your findings and ultimately your bill.

Have you had any cosmetic dental work (veneers or crowns)?

I'm getting veneers (and gum lift) and was wondering what to expect, LOL!

Ana

It sounds like you found a GREAT dentist. I'm glad he was able to fix your tooth and remove the decay.

I'd definitely contact the first dentist and present him with your findings and ultimately your bill.

Have you had any cosmetic dental work (veneers or crowns)?

I'm getting veneers (and gum lift) and was wondering what to expect, LOL!

Ana
No, I have never had any extensive dental work done; just the one cavity filling. Although I did do the Zoom whitening a few years ago with fairly decent results. Perhaps you could just Google "veneers and gum lift" and read about the procedures.

The one thing I learned from my whole ordeal is that finding a good doctor or dentist is SUPER important if you're having anything serious done. I can't believe I put more thought on finding a hairdresser than I did in finding a dentist. I sure learned my lesson.

Cosmetic Dental Work

No, I have never had any extensive dental work done; just the one cavity filling. Although I did do the Zoom whitening a few years ago with fairly decent results. Perhaps you could just Google "veneers and gum lift" and read about the procedures.

The one thing I learned from my whole ordeal is that finding a good doctor or dentist is SUPER important if you're having anything serious done. I can't believe I put more thought on finding a hairdresser than I did in finding a dentist. I sure learned my lesson.
I have a GREAT dentist(s) in NYC. They are very well known.

I just had my gum lift (to show more teeth) and we decided to just whiten them (ZOOM).

I've never had a cavity (knock on wood).

I had braces when I was younger but have a little space on the left side. I guess I can live with that, LOL!

However, when you see the digital smile redesign, it does sway you (no little space...a Hollywood smile). I may still get veneers (6)...

Thanks for your advice and sharing your experience.

Ana

www.hotanalee.com

Do you mind if I ask approximately how much the ZOOM whitening process costs? And, are you happy with the results?

Thank you!

jayp67
It was around 350. when I had it done a few years ago. Best to shop around and get different estimates, since I'm sure most dentists price competitively.

I only achieved a marginal result from the Zoom whitening, because I'd already done another tooth whitening procedure a couple years before that. Apparently your teeth can only get so white from the bleaching programs like Zoom or Night White (the first one I tried). The results I got from the Night White were unbelievable because I'd never used anything before - my teeth looked like Chiclets!

Very happy...

Do you mind if I ask approximately how much the ZOOM whitening process costs? And, are you happy with the results?

Thank you!

jayp67
Hi Jayp,

I'm very happy with the results!

I had other bleaching done 8 or 9 years ago(at home teeth whitening system from my dentist) , nothing compares to Zoom!

I had the upper & lower arch done. The price for mine was about 260-270 per arch in NYC (it may be less in the suburbs and/or NJ).

I thought my teeth after they were cleaned were white...NOW they are really really white.

If you're a coffee, tea drinker or smoker (I'm not) your results will be even more dramatic.

This was something (both procedures) I had done for myself. I rarely spend money on myself.

Ana

Thanks Ana & masquerade!

I appreciate both you of sharing your experiences. A ZOOM office opened in my neighborhood recently so I'll check it out on Monday. I will also look into Night White.

Have a great weekend ladies and thanks again!!! :D

jayp67

Hi Jayp,

I'm very happy with the results!

I had other bleaching done 8 or 9 years ago(at home teeth whitening system from my dentist) , nothing compares to Zoom!

I had the upper & lower arch done. The price for mine was about 260-270 per arch in NYC (it may be less in the suburbs and/or NJ).

I thought my teeth after they were cleaned were white...NOW they are really really white.

If you're a coffee, tea drinker or smoker (I'm not) your results will be even more dramatic.

This was something (both procedures) I had done for myself. I rarely spend money on myself.

Ana

Investing in your smile is never a waste of money. It's one of the first things people notice about you, and a straight, clean set of pearly whites always makes a good impression. I meet a lot of people with fucked up teeth who definitely have the financial resources to fix them, and I've always wondered why they don't do anything about it. It can really mess up an otherwise attractive face.

Investing in your smile is never a waste of money. It's one of the first things people notice about you, and a straight, clean set of pearly whites always makes a good impression. I meet a lot of people with fucked up teeth who definitely have the financial resources to fix them, and I've always wondered why they don't do anything about it. It can really mess up an otherwise attractive face.
Thanks Masquerade!

I also wonder about people who have the financial means to fix their teeth but don't.

I told my SO besides being attractive, his smile is the one thing I noticed first when we met.