Coronavirus: The Sick Elephant In The Room

SUPAMAN

Not here for the bear hunting
They are saying that the South African strain can "break through" the Pfizer vaccine. That's not my choice of words, I'm quoting a news report. I suggest you goggle it, as for some news reports using the phrase "less effective", that sounds euphemistic to me. I don't know about you but nothing triggers skepticism in me as much as a euphemism used in discussing a serious issue. I would tend to disagree with you, I think the Pfizer vaccine is ineffective against the South African strain for the same reason the flu vaccination is different every year and isn't effective against all strains of flu.....mutations! If the Pfizer vaccine is ineffective the powers that be would have a difficult time fessing about it. Lots of money wasted and lots of people injected with what is basically an experimental vaccine. Time will tell for certain because the South African strain is said to be the most aggressive strain thus far and it's here. The term " less effective" in this context is nonspecific and sounds like an excuse to me. Like the actor in that mortgage company commercial says, there's a difference between a "maybe" and knowing for sure.

United States is "Pausing" the administering of the Johnson and Johnson one time vaccine due to blood clot issues.

The flip side to some of what I am reading in this thread is: 6 months of trial studies does not guarantee a safe, effective, consistent vaccine. Past vaccines, MMR, Polio, HPV, Flu - were all studied for years before being administered.

I think 6 people out of 6 million shots had blood clot issues. When you are vaccinating millions upon millions of people - if you have a couple people having a bad reaction - you shouldn't be surprised. 1 out of a million is pretty small odds. Your odds of dying from Corona in the US is much higher than that. That being said ... If I were 18 years old nd no family members of mine had underlying issues I may wait. The problem is - how many people are young and healthy and don't live with family members who may be at risk of getting seriously ill if they do get Covid?

SUPAMAN

Lets see:
newscaster says something about health issue
vs
NIH says something about health issue

I'll place my bet with NIH
Lets see here, the National Health Institute is a part of the United States Federal Government and we all know they would never, ever tell us a fib. Gotta love a guy who has full faith in the Federal government, you're a better man than I my friend! If the Pfizer vaccine is a dud, the Feds would absolutely fess up too it immediately. My bad, I dunno what I was thinking by expressing an opinion about this plague that doesn't jibe with the National Health Institute.

They are saying that the South African strain can "break through" the Pfizer vaccine. That's not my choice of words, I'm quoting a news report. I suggest you goggle it, as for some news reports using the phrase "less effective", that sounds euphemistic to me. I don't know about you but nothing triggers skepticism in me as much as a euphemism used in discussing a serious issue. I would tend to disagree with you, I think the Pfizer vaccine is ineffective against the South African strain for the same reason the flu vaccination is different every year and isn't effective against all strains of flu.....mutations! If the Pfizer vaccine is ineffective the powers that be would have a difficult time fessing about it. Lots of money wasted and lots of people injected with what is basically an experimental vaccine. Time will tell for certain because the South African strain is said to be the most aggressive strain thus far and it's here. The term " less effective" in this context is nonspecific and sounds like an excuse to me. Like the actor in that mortgage company commercial says, there's a difference between a "maybe" and knowing for sure.
News report. Got it. You watch a lot of news I gather.

SUPAMAN

I think 6 people out of 6 million shots had blood clot issues. When you are vaccinating millions upon millions of people - if you have a couple people having a bad reaction - you shouldn't be surprised. 1 out of a million is pretty small odds. Your odds of dying from Corona in the US is much higher than that. That being said ... If I were 18 years old nd no family members of mine had underlying issues I may wait. The problem is - how many people are young and healthy and don't live with family members who may be at risk of getting seriously ill if they do get Covid?
Blood clot issues? Marvin Hagler's liver LIQUIFIED and he died hours after being inoculated. I hadn't seen or heard anything about Marvin since he retired from boxing but I would tend to think he was still in tip top physical condition.

United States is "Pausing" the administering of the Johnson and Johnson one time vaccine due to blood clot issues.

The flip side to some of what I am reading in this thread is: 6 months of trial studies does not guarantee a safe, effective, consistent vaccine. Past vaccines, MMR, Polio, HPV, Flu - were all studied for years before being administered.
Polio was not studied "for years" before being administered. I was in the group "polio pioneer's" (I still have the polio pioneer card they gave me). Was done when I was in 1st grade in the gym of my school in early 1950's.

1.3 Million 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade children were enrolled in the study trial.

Not my card for obvious reasons but sample below:

Anyway, as far as blood clots, it is estimated that 900,000 blood clots happen in the US per year. So That’s about 2500 per day — background noise.

So what's up to the heath authorities in risk assessment is to determine of the 6 cases of bloods clots observed after receiving a J&J shot how many can be attributed to background noise i.e., .how many would have happened normally in the course of just being live and how many are attributed to the vaccine.
And you are correct "6 months of trial studies does not guarantee a safe, effective, consistent vaccine.", but pretty damn close to being safe and effective. But thinking of it this way, waiting for, say, an extra 6 months of testing would certainly result in many hundreds of thousands of deaths from COVID, just in the US, and would continue to wreck our economy.

What you are seeing now is the psychological misestimating risk. For example my sister drove up from Florida to NY because she thinks that the risk of dying in an airplane crash is higher than the risk of dying in a car crash whereas the exact opposite is true.

I, my SO, my friends and relatives all put their big boy pants on and got their shots as soon as they were able to get an appointment.

Polio was not studied "for years" before being administered. I was in the group "polio pioneer's" (I still have the polio pioneer card they gave me). Was done when I was in 1st grade in the gym of my school in early 1950's.

Anyway, as far as blood clots, it is estimated that 900,000 blood clots happen in the US per year. So That’s about 2500 per day — background noise.

So what's up to the heath authorities in risk assessment is to determine of the 6 cases of bloods clots observed after receiving a J&J shot how many can be attributed to background noise i.e., .how many would have happened normally in the course of just being live and how many are attributed to the vaccine.
And you are correct "6 months of trial studies does not guarantee a safe, effective, consistent vaccine.", but pretty damn close to being safe and effective. But thinking of it this way, waiting for, say, an extra 6 months of testing would certainly result in many hundreds of thousands of deaths from COVID, just in the US, and would continue to wreck our economy.

What you are seeing now is the psychological misestimating risk. For example my sister drove up from Florida to NY because she thinks that the risk of dying in an airplane crash is higher than the risk of dying in a car crash whereas the exact opposite is true.

I, my SO, my friends and relatives all put their big boy pants on and got their shots as soon as they were able to get an appointment.
Think the lawyers played a big role in the pause. Clinicians know the probability of side effects. The benefits outweigh the risks. People are getting soft. Most never knew the death on a scale such as this. There will be others.

Polio vaccine was studied for a little over a year (February 1954-April 1955) with a 60-70% success rate at onset of inoculations.
After vaccinations were given there was an outbreak in summer of 1955 due to a bad batch and some 200 cases were reported and attributed to this bad batch.

6 additional months is an eternity in clinical studies for a quick fix type of cure in regards to a viral pandemic. Polio 1 year of studies, COVID 6 months.

I'm not debating the pros and cons of vaccinations, I am simply saying that 6 months of trials is not enough time to gather enough data on a vaccine. Hence the recent "pausing" of the J&J vax.

Nobody knows what any of these vaccinations carry down the road because of the lack of study time - That is a fact, not a political statement.

The NIH will manipulate data and statistics to get the vaccines started by the Pharmaceuticals who get paid lots of money to produce the vaccines. In turn, those Pharma's cram it down physicians throats because the more they vaccinate, the more money the pharmaceuticals and NIH make. The NIH manipulate data to their own benefit just like insurance companies are doing it now when people pass from COVID. The more COVID deaths, the more money they and hospitals can claim.

I am not trying to turn this political, I wish every good person to be well and safe. The majority of us have been impacted by this in some way. Whether enduring it (as I did) or having people in their lives pass from it.

Lets hope this is the only negative regarding these vaccines and we get passed all this.

Blood clot issues? Marvin Hagler's liver LIQUIFIED and he died hours after being inoculated. I hadn't seen or heard anything about Marvin since he retired from boxing but I would tend to think he was still in tip top physical condition.
"I haven't heard anything about a boxer who hasn't boxed in 35 years so I'm going to ASSume he's in tip top physical shape" has got to be the single silliest take I've seen on this site and I've seen some doozies.

The Covid vaccine Hagler received does not appear to have any relation to his death. His sons put out a statement that he died of natural causes and his wife has come out and said as much. His liver was liquified? Where did you get the hospital report/medical examiner report regarding his death and status of his liver???