Coronavirus: The Sick Elephant In The Room

billyS

Reign of Terror
Have you yet seen your bill ? The procedure should not be a covered expense. However due to social pressure I suspect your insurance will cover it. Thus future insurance premiums will be increased, in addition to the massive tax increases we can foresee.
The "massive tax increase" is a leap in the context to the rest of what you're saying. Be careful here, don't go off on a political tangent.

.....I noticed that places like Amazon are taking the temperature of their workers before allowing them into work. While that seems good in principal, we need to remember that a good 20%(?) of people infected will show no symptoms and yet be capable of spreading it. So, a temperature check will give a false sense of security.
This is not an all or nothing deal where if you can't get a 100% accurate test you just give up. I say the temperature check will get it right 80% of the time whereas you are saying it is wrong 20% of the time. If you combine masks, social distancing and the temperature test you will prevent, IMHO most (but not all) of person to person transmission.

It's the best that can be done quickly today.

Maybe tomorrow there will be another quick and dirty test that can be used that in conjuction with the temperature test will chip away at the problem.

For example there is a syndrome (that I personally know of someone who had it) called CORVID toes appear in COVID-19 patients who don’t exhibit any other symptoms. The toes get really ugly and very painful with red, purple and/or bluish lesions. If you ever have seen anyone who had shingles, they looked ( and hurt) like that.

There is also loss of smell and taste in infected people as an initial symptom (before fever).

We have to chip away at this thing until better treatments and perhaps an early vaccine happens.

IMHO, don't underestimate the benefit of having a lot of really smart people working on the problem.

Have you yet seen your bill ? The procedure should not be a covered expense. However due to social pressure I suspect your insurance will cover it. Thus future insurance premiums will be increased, in addition to the massive tax increases we can foresee.
I think massive is to kind of a description-
I find it interesting that not once has any talk of how the trillions of dollars spent lately is going to be repaid The politician who does bring this up, after the media gets hold of him will be crucified

Mods.
( Did not attempt to create political discussion- please delete if warranted)

My thinking on this (FWIW although I do have a science and math background but I do not have medical a medical background) is that, unless you can test everybody for antibodies, there should be only three reasons for such a test — in order of importance (although there may be enough testing capacity soon to be concurrent):

1. testing for those in critical professions where they will be in contact with infected people such as medical, public safety (cops, firemen, etc.) and critical industries such as food supply, transportation etc.

2. a random testing of sufficient sample size to allow inference with a reasonable level of confidence as to the percentage of total population that has antibodies for CORVID — and hence the % that had been infected.

3. testing for those people that will be returning to the workforce perhaps in stages.

As long as there isn't enough testing available for everybody, allowing people to get an antibody test because they just want to know their status is a poor use of those limited resources.

Just my 2¢
I would include people that a have reasonable suspicion that they were infected either through an exposure or having had the symptoms. My opinion may be a little self serving. I don't get sick often but I was laid up with flu like symptoms in late February. Cough, headache, some aches, stuffy nose, NO fever. I tried to "rest it off" for a day and went to the doctor the 2nd day. They prescribed some cough medicine. They didn't give me a flu test or any test actually. I felt a bit slighted by the exam. They chalked it up to a cold. I was fine after 2-3 more days of being laid up. I think looking back at what was going on back then, the test would be a lot different if they knew what was really circulating around at the time. I'll be re-entering the workforce soon and this would certainly be a load off my back and probably make several of my co-workers feel better too. I'd be one less person that could spread it to them, at least not from within. One would still have to be responsible and considerate not to spread it around by picking it up on one surface and spreading it to another.

I find it interesting that not once has any talk of how the trillions of dollars spent lately is going to be repaid The politician who does bring this up, after the media gets hold of him will be crucified
yes, I agree that person would immediately be vilified.

Whenever I think back to all the good old corner bar strip clubs in Queens, Nickles, DB2, Whileys, Pennywhistle etc..., I think I wish someone would repeal that Giuliani shit that closed them all. Then I say to myself, what politician is gonna take the podium and say "Vote for me and I'll bring back the local neighborhood strip club".

There was an article on Fox earlier - Bennett & Leibsohn compared NY to Florida- infection rate, mortality rate, population, etc. etc. etc. Florida appears to be a few steps ahead of us in many categories ( reopening, response, mortality)... The commentary I would guess in skewed because of what side it is coming from, but what am I missing here....Based on what was said, why is NY still a ways away from Florida.. Are we being to cautious?
sorry I can’t post link-

.... I'll be re-entering the workforce soon and this would certainly be a load off my back and probably make several of my co-workers feel better too. .....
This would be a classic example of my "3. testing for those people that will be returning to the workforce perhaps in stages."

Although kinda nice for you and them but "....be a load off my back....make several of my co-workers feel better" from a health perspective is kinda irrelevant when we are talking about stuff that can kill people.
Just sayin.

This would be a classic example of my "3. testing for those people that will be returning to the workforce perhaps in stages."

Although kinda nice for you and them but "....be a load off my back....make several of my co-workers feel better" from a health perspective is kinda irrelevant when we are talking about stuff that can kill people.
Just sayin.
I meant it in the sense that they wouldn’t have to worry about contracting it directly from me (and getting sick or during) when we’re in the field in close quarters. Kinda goes with the line of work we’re in. Coworker and I are usually isolated once we arrive at destination. I see where it does sound selfish and shallow but I am thinking of others as well as myself. Given the choice I’d prefer to be the guy in the room with the possible immunity but I’d still be happy if it was reversed and the only other guy in the room wasn’t a threat to me.

I know this is probably a question for my doctor.but if I (or any of you) are taking meds for high BP or diabetes does that increase the risk of getting the virus? Like am I supposed to stop taking those meds??

I know this is probably a question for my doctor.but if I (or any of you) are taking meds for high BP or diabetes does that increase the risk of getting the virus? Like am I supposed to stop taking those meds??
Definitely not. But having high blood pressure, diabetes, over weight and etc puts that person into a category of having underlying conditions that if that person contracts COVID19, serious complications can evolve up to including death. COVID19 seems to effect the pancreas in people who have these health issues.